Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #1

Broken Electric Mirror, Help!!!

I took my 2000 S to be washed and when it came back the driver's side ( passenger side for you guys in the U.S.) mirror was broken.

The electrics work for up/down adjustment but not for left/right, although the motor sounds like it is working just fine. I assume it is just some sort of clip at the back that has come loose, or if it is broken perhaps something epoxy could fix, but I cannot work out how to take the mirror apart.

Any advice from someone who has pulled a mirror apart before??

Thanks in advance.

Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #2

Garage
Try this, have someone work the switch while you push the mirror to the inboard side so the outside mirror edge is sticking out. Now grab the glass mirror edge and pull it out with a steady pull. If your mirror is heated a wire will need to be disconnected once the glass pops loose. The mirror is a stout piece of glass so don"t be too nervous. Once it's removed you should be able to see what the problem is and fix it.

Let us know you progress, it might help someone else on the forum.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #3

Thanks.

I tried something similar and there seemed to be a spring in the way. I was probably just not using enough force.

I will try your method and see how it goes. I will post progress too.

Thank you again.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #4

It is done!

Thanks Jaxon, I followed your instructions and it worked. The problem before was that I was too afraid to pull hard enough.

The problem inside the mirror was one of the two white plastic rack gears that link the electric motor gear to the backplate of the mirror. It had just been dislodged, as soon as it was back in place the mirror worked in full range of motion.

The easiest fix on my car to date. No more having to open the window to adjust the mirror, which is handy in Australian summer with 40+ deg C (104F) days a regular occurrence.