Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

Garage
Question your first time...

Everyone remembers their first time. For some it was magical for others it was just another car. Either way we all have one. What was the first Porsche you ever sat in? drove? owned?

for me im just a baby in the porsche world... i have wanted one for years. i never sat in one til september at laguna seca. (i know this will sound heretic) a panamera turbo... it was my first p-car to ever sit in lol. i know its crazy! but true maybe that is why iam fond of them. the first p-car to drive was a 2001 boxster, shortly after that... it was mine.

So how bout all of you? what were your firsts and when?

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #2

For my first time, I flew down from Illinois to Arizona and drove it 1700 miles back. Fell in love for those wonderful 3 days!!

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

I sat in a well-worn Carrera on a used car lot sometime in the middle of last September. It was expensive and in crappy condition. I drove back to the lot, went to a Porsche dealership, test-drove my Boxster, and bought it three days later.

On my birthday.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #4

The first Porsche I ever drove was a used 914, I test drove back around 1989-1990. I looked at it a few times, but ended up buying a MGB instead. :ah:

Ahhhh, the fobles of youth!

Anyway that 914 must have left an impression, because,well we own a midengined Porsche today!
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #5

It was 1970 I was in college and most of my buddies had muscle cars, but I was driving a 1958 Karmann Ghia, as thats all I could afford. One of my friends got a new 914 and most of the guys gave him a hard time for not getting a "real" car with a big V-8.

But not me, I really enjoyed my version of VW's "sports" car. Anyway, when I got in the 914, first with my buddy driving and then with me, I had no idea that a car could stick to the road like that and handle the corners like it was on rails. That was a far better experience for me than ripping along in straight lines like the muscle cars did. Unfortunately I had to wait another 35 years until I got my Boxster, but now its :dance: .

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #6

I grew up in a very small town and there was only 1 Porsche (a 911) in a 50 mile square radius. So it really stuck out. It belonged to the area's most wealthy lawyer. Now as I look back I can only think how much of pain this poor guy must have had getting it serviced!
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #7

The first one I ever drove was a 1972 911T, it was my brothers, I think it was a 2.5, not sure. It was the coolest car I'd ever driven, one bite of the apple and I was hooked. Sadly, he sold it to reconcile his now ex wifes pre marriage debt. I recently saw one listed for 20K on ebay, I think he got $7,500 and it was in very very good condition...

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-30-2009 at 06:01 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #8

Garage
Around 1983 a friend of my parents had a '69 911T that I sat in. He sold it to a then and now friend of mines dad for $4500 in '84. The dad years later gave the car to my friend. The car was in my driveway last Sunday and still looks immaculate!!! This was the first Porsche I ever sat in. This guy also had a Delorean (sp?) and a cell phone back when they were the size of a toaster oven and $3,000!!!

My Boxster S is the first and only p-car I've ever owned. Had half a dozen bimmers and three or four benz's but I think I've found where I want to be!

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
When I was a kid my Dad's Cousin had a 356 Speedster. I thought it was the coolest car. Later in college I had friends with 914s, 911sc, and Carreras. Shortly after college I was married with kids and a German sports car was not in the plans. First things first.

Once my kids were all off to college it was time to pick out a true sports car for myself. Only a Porsche or Ferrari would do. I considered a dozen cars from the Ferrari 308, Dino, 911sc, 930, 996TT, 356 Speedster replica, and just knew right away when I drove the Boxster that it was the right car for me. I have not been disappointed.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #10

Back in '90, my friends dad had a shiny red what must've been '85-6 944. I thought he was a god. He cooked the tranny and wanted to sell it for $5k. I pleaded with my dad at the time to buy it. I was only 10 but already a gear head. Needless to say I never bought it.
Two years ago my other friends brother sold his e46 m3 and got a caymanS. I thought he had made a huge mistake and downgraded. Then I drove it and compared to the M, realized he had made a correct decision. Now I am in!
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20
Back in '90, my friends dad had a shiny red what must've been '85-6 944. I thought he was a god. He cooked the tranny and wanted to sell it for $5k. I pleaded with my dad at the time to buy it. I was only 10 but already a gear head. Needless to say I never bought it.
Two years ago my other friends brother sold his e46 m3 and got a caymanS. I thought he had made a huge mistake and downgraded. Then I drove it and compared to the M, realized he had made a correct decision. Now I am in!

Haha Fear not, you weren't the only "dad beggar".. I pleaded with my dad to buy this:

http://www.dinospider.com/

It was sitting at the speedy transmission shop, (as if they had a prayer of fixing it). They wanted 5k for it in 1980, that was exactly one half of my annual gross that year, might as well have been one million. Now days it's a hot collectable, would have been worth many times more than five K, if only we knew the future sometimes...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #12

1967 912
Wish I still had her.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #13

My first time was 2 years back.
My gf and I were driving through Boulder, kind of just killing a day, and not sure what the rest of the day was going to involve.

As we were diving up 28th Street, we passed by the Porsche Dealer, and I said to her "Feel like looking at a Porsche for a little while?"

So we popped in, started looking at the different cars, and I was talking to the salesman about the Boxster. Next thing I knew, I was sitting in the drivers seat, seeing if I could fit in comfortably in an '05 S.

Fired it up, and my gf and I zipped on down the road, to get a feel for it.
It had so many different options and buttons that I didn't know where to start, so I decided to concentrate on just driving the car, and get a feel for what she could do.

Found a nice little road nearby with a good series of sweepers, and let loose.
The engine note was intoxicating. The steering response was instantaneous. The brakes were ferocious.

To say we were impressed would be unkind.
I was sold, but that car was not in my future.

Over the next year and a half, I test drove at least 5 other Boxsters, 2 Mercedes SLK's, my gf's Crossfire (5 minutes into that test drive this time last year, and she was ready to buy!), an Infiniti G35 Coupe, an '07 Carrera, and a Nissan Z. Nothing captured my thrill of driving like the Boxster did.

So this past February, when I found my '98, I was sold.
11k miles later, mostly in the mountains here in Colorado, including several track days at HPR, and I'm not going anywhere for a while.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #14

About two years ago, my friend bought a late 90's Boxster and let me ride in it when he went to buy gas, it wasn't a bad ride at all even from the passenger seat. Then he asked if I wanted to drive it and intially I said "no not really, thanks anyway" but he insisted and with me not having driven a German car since 1986 I decided to take him up on his offer. After a short drive I told him it was "okay" and thanked him but inside I was saying "that was cool".

A few days later I went to a Porsche dealership and with the intent to test drive a late 90's or early 2000 Boxster and saw a black 987 on the showroom floor. I sat in it then decided "I gots to have it" and a few days later that car became mine and have been enjoying it since then.
AreaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #15

Rode to school in the 60s in the back of Dad's 356B, silver/red. After he wrecked it in '69, he waited until '72, and then bought a dented-up 1966 912.

He restored it [painted white], then again in the 80s [painted red], and just completed the THIRD resto in 2003 [white again], and it's now a show car. Sometimes he talks about selling it, but doesn't mind parking it in the driveway just to admire it.

We'd sit in all of 'em, unable to see over the dash, pretending to drive, practicing shifting while making engine sounds! I'll sometimes drive the 912. Not fast, but still elegant. Nostalgia of the old 356B no doubt gripped me when I bought my ratty silver/red 986 last year.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #16

I just bought my house. Was at home depot and passed the dealership. Saw my box on the lot went and test drove it. I felt dumb not knowing where key went. Took her out for about ten miles and put a down payment on her. Left the receipt on the kitchen table for the wife to see. I nearly lost my life when she saw the paper. She has since fell in love wind in her hair.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #17

The first Porsche drive was a long time ago but my first sideways Porsche drive in my own car was the other day. We have only had the car about a month or so (an 01 base). It's really my wife's car, but I was going a little faster than I should have been and came to a bend I had forgotten, got sideways, thought for half a second about the tree or the rock, then discovered I could just adjust how far the rear came around with the gas pedal. Pretty cool cars.
robmints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #18

My first "boss" (I was 14ish) had a SHOWCAR-clean '86 944 in mint condish. Mexican national, never drove it.. had like 100 miles on it... cleanest car i'd ever seen. well.. my mom bought that car from him and because she feared a high-schooler having access to the car was recipe for disaster, she sold it...

for some reason, it had this heir of "quality" and "status". I knew I had to have one some day. well I come to find out my mom used to have a '73 914 so she was into the "P car" thing... so I started looking and bought my first 914 on ebay.. quite an experience.. drove it once... bought a neighbor's '73 914 and drove the hell out of it! SO FUN! this got me into the porsche community and made me love it even more.

we all know the 914 isn't exactly the most dependable car out there, and i needed a daily for school/work as my blazer was on it's last leg (great car btw)

so i ended up in my current '00 Box and LOVE IT! repairs are a pain in the ass (wallet area mostly) but the people, the culture, online support is amazing.

p-car driver for life! *throws up porsche-resembling gang sign*
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #19

I was at the 2001 Detroit auto show and I sat in a silver Carrera with the cinnamon colored interior and I grabbed the wheel and thought to myself "damn, I feel sexy". I dreamed about it for a few more years and bought my Boxster in 2006.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #20

First Porsche I ever sat in, or drove, is the one I have now..only it was almost 5 years ago when my DAD bought it. I was with him while he test drove Boxsters... the first one he and I test drove was a 2000 Ocean Blue base. We test drove several others, but oth agreed "this one" was the best. He bought it - and I had a chance to drive it/borrow it a handful of times throughout the time he owned it.

When he decided to sell it a year ago, I jumped at the chance to snatch it up for myself...we worked out a win-win deal.

Only other Porsche I've driven is bro-in-laws 1999 996. honestly, I like the box better! Not as fast, but way more fun!

I hope this car is the first of many Porsches I own/drive.

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote