986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   window Crack fixed - DIY with silicone! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22562-window-crack-fixed-diy-silicone.html)

23109VC 10-24-2009 06:46 PM

window Crack fixed - DIY with silicone!

Not just for boob jobs! Silicone will fix your plastic window too! :D

I had a small crack - about 1" long, right up next to where the window meets the canvass.

I ended up using some clear silicone sealant I got at Lowes. I partially lowered the top to take all the stress off the plastic, so I was able to get the "cracked" portions to come together...when the top was closed, the crack was separated a good 1mm or more....too wide to really seal up.

once the top was half way down, I was able to get the plastic window in a position so that the "tear" was "closed" and the edges were touching. I put a bead of siline on the outside...let it ooze into the crack, and let it sit. a few hours later I close the top just enough so that the window was flat, but not enough so it was fully closed...the window has "some" tension..but is not closed 100% nor latched.

so far it looks GREAT. you can just barely see the crack. i'll let it cure overnight and latch it shut i teh AM and see if it holds.

if this fixed my windows - wha ta deal. $3 for the silicone instead of $300-500 for a new plastic window! this ought ot last me a while. when my window finally does go..i may opt for glass..or a new plastic window sewn in..i found a reputable shop in San diego that will do it for $300 and will use clear or tinted plastic..my choice.

if your crack/tear is smack dab in the middle of your window, this may not work so hot cosmetically. i bet it would work to seal/fix it, but you'd see it more. the stuff dries clear but you CAN still see that there was someething there that I repaired..it's just that on my car b/c it's sooooooooo close to the edge of the window, you really don't notice it.

besides, 90% of the time I'm out in my car, the top is DOWN! :)

the stuff i used it sold by loctite. it just clear silicone adhesive.

SoCalKen 10-24-2009 08:06 PM

I hope it works for you but I have a hard time believeing silicone has the tensile strength to hold for any length of time. Let us know and good luck.

box321 10-25-2009 05:01 AM

nice! :cheers:

mptoledo 10-25-2009 01:36 PM

It has worked for me for the last few months and that is what I have been suggesting to people on here since I tried it.

23109VC 10-26-2009 07:09 PM

after letting the silicone cure overnight...i cranked the window back up, locked it in place..and........................... IT HOLDS!

the silicone has held the crack together...for at least 24 hours! :)

and honestly, I did NOT use that much silicone. i used a VERY small bead of the stuff as I did not want huge globs of stuff all over the window..i figured start with a small amount and if it didn't hold, then i woudl redo it with "more".

as it's turned out, my minimal applicaiton has held up just fine.

I just saved myself having to spend $300-400 on a new plastic window...for a while. good...i want a PSE or NHP muffler and GT3 bars....gotta save for those! and buying new plastic windows just eats into the "fun" budget!!!! :)