Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #1

Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade?

I've had the Boxster for over three years now... I got talking to the wife this weekend about it. She knows how bad I've always wanted a 996... and the prices are pretty attractive right now. You can get into a 1999-2002 with low miles for mid 20's. So now I'm torn... I hate selling cars too... it's a pain in the rear. I have no idea what I could sell my Box for. It's a 2000 with 61k, well cared for. The only issue is the gas tank only fills to half. I would have to discount the car or get that fixed. So I'm not sure what to do... I'm sure Porsches aren't selling like hot cakes either. Maybe a trade to a dealer would be best, but they wouldn't give me anything for my car I'm sure.

Anyway, just wanted to get opinions...

Thanks.

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #2

I saw a fix for the half gas tank issue on here somewhere. Do a search you should find it. I will try to find it. Your best bet is to sell your Box in the spring, unless you live in a warm climate(forget to look). Just advertise it in the closest largest city around you. Should only be around $30 to $50. If some one wants to see it, meet them somewhere public, preferably near a Cop Shop (just to be safe). Your bank can do the paper work. Do an ebay search in the completed acution section for your model year. That will tell you what people are actually getting. I have noticed ebay is way low so you definately have some room to mark it up.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #3

I bought a 996 C4S back in May. Like you, I couldn't pass up the GREAT deals on these cars right now. Problem is that I've put a lot of time and money into my Box that I'd take a pretty good loss on it if I tried to sell it now. I just kept the Box and use it as my daily driver and keep the 996 as my weekend fun toy. Something to think about if you have the financial resources to do it.

Now is most definitely a BUYER'S market. I've purchased 3 cars this year! Take advantage of it and get that 996. If you must sell the Box and you can wait, just keep it until the Spring and sell it when the top-down weather returns to your state. Maybe the economy will be a little better then and it will be a better time to sell...

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

I definitely can't have both the 996 and 986... for a couple reasons. Expense is one, but also storing them. I have a three car garage and I do not want to leave one of our daily drivers out all winter.

I guess this time of year is not the best time to sell, however, when I was looking for my 986 I was prepared to buy in winter so I would have it come spring time. So I know there's hope. If I can't then no big deal. I LOVE the car... I just thought now is the time to move on the 996!

I'll do my research...

As far as the tank, I've tried all of the obvious fixes. I'm pretty sure it's the hoses that slipped and are blocking the other vent. I'm pretty mechanically inclined now and I'm not sure if I want to mess with the gas tank...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
I LOVE the car... I just thought now is the time to move on the 996!
Don't get your hopes up too much if you think the 996 is going to be a big improvement over the Box. You might want to go test drive a couple and see what you really think. You might be disappointed. I like the additional power (320 HP) and awesome Turbo brakes that my C4S has. There's also more "prestige" where I live in owning a 911 - it turns more heads.

However, I am VERY glad that I also still have my Box. It's MUCH better on twisty roads. The AWD C4S is a good 400 lbs heavier and is more of a pig in turns (but that's just compared to the Box, compared to other cars it's amazing). The Box actually seems to have more usable power if you keep it above 4K RPM. When I go autocross again this weekend it will be the Box that I'll be racing, not the C4S.

My point - many people buy a Box with the hope to "step up" to a 911 later. Just consider that the Box in and of itself is an amazing sports car, so this "step up" may only be a prestige thing on the surface and not really that much of a step when it comes to performance.

Kirk
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #6

I see where you are coming from...

My two biggest reasons for wanting one are as follows:

First, 4 seats! I can put my two little girls (5 and 7) in the back and my wife in the front for short little trips. I know the back seats are small but my girls will be okay back there for several more years. We actually fit 4 adults in a co-workers 911 once. Yes very tight, but then again none of us were 35 & 50lbs little girls either And my wife and I are not that big...
My girls fight over who gets to go in the Boxster all of the time, I figured this way I could solve that problem.

The second reason is the styling, I've always loved the 911 more than any other Porsche (993 probably more than the rest).

Performance is really a distant third... So I think I'm approaching this from a good point of view anyway.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

Kirk is 100% right on the whole box vs 911 thing.

My brother in law has a 1999 996. It's beautiful. Sport Technic wheels, full aero kit, litronics.... for a "standard" 911, it's gorgeous. I've borrowed it a couple of times, so I've had a fair amount of seat time in it.

It's faster than my boxster, and it turns more heads. It looks more prestigious - BUT if you were to tell me that I was about to go out for a fun drive on a mountain road or a race track - I'd rather have my boxster.

the boxster handles better and is more fun to drive. Period. No comparison.

Maybe a newer more modern 911, would be such an improvement over his "older" one that I would not feel the same way...but if you're considering an "older" 996 vs a 986 - I honestly think the 986 is the more fun car.

if you HAVE to have back seats, or do NOT want a convertible, I think it would be an awesome car. It's not like I didn't like the car, but if you are looking for pure driving "fun" I think the boxster is better.

I second Kirk's idea to go test drive some and see what you think.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #8

Agree with Kirk, I have often dreamed of a Cayman S or Boxster S, given the expense of procurement and likely financial beating on a car I have carefully sorted out, I ask myself, why??

IMO, the best thing a person can purchase for themself is freedom. Better to retire a few years earlier and drive my less presigious 98 Boxster every summer day, than yoke myself to another substantial loan which by nature requires more work days.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #9

I appreciate everyone's comments... I'll have to think about them all. Believe me, when it comes to making a final decision/purchase nobody (with the exception of Brett Favre) takes longer than I!
I do love the Boxster!!! I just like the idea of having the 4 seats at this point more than the handling advantages the Boxster has on the twisties.

Who know's, it's going to be a while anyway... I'd have to get my Boxster ready to sell and I'm pretty lazy in the fall/winter. Unless I do a trade I guess... but I can only imagine what the dealer would give me. You know, with the slow economy, who knows... maybe they'd deal more than you'd expect?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
I appreciate everyone's comments... I'll have to think about them all. Believe me, when it comes to making a final decision/purchase nobody (with the exception of Brett Favre) takes longer than I!
I do love the Boxster!!! I just like the idea of having the 4 seats at this point more than the handling advantages the Boxster has on the twisties.

Who know's, it's going to be a while anyway... I'd have to get my Boxster ready to sell and I'm pretty lazy in the fall/winter. Unless I do a trade I guess... but I can only imagine what the dealer would give me. You know, with the slow economy, who knows... maybe they'd deal more than you'd expect?

LOL at the back seats, much like the Fiat, unless your passengers are under 8 or legless war vets you aren't going to get too many applause about the "back seats"..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #11

My girls are small 35 & 50lbs (5 & 7) and small for their ages... they'll fit fine for a few years We're not talking about driving for great distances either... just trips down the road for ice cream etc... or to the neighbors house etc.
Realistically I see myself with the 996 for a few years then on to a Cayman when they get older.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #12

To answer your question, I do not think you are crazy to upgrade to a 911.

I just wouldn't buy the 996 version because the scenery doesn't change from inside the car. The 997's interior, like the 987 is much nicer.

But to each his own. You may love the quality and looks of your boxster's interior.

When things turn around for me financially and I can successfully wear the wife down enough to consider it, I will probably purchase a CPO 997 C4S and sell my boxster for whatever pittance I can get out of it.

The 987 cayman's are nice, but they still have the IMS and D chunk prone M96 motors in them.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Ultimately the 996 is a great, world class supercar that can be bought now for pennies on the dollar. I don't fault anyone for wanting one. It is a bit more of a cruiser/straight line car than the Box but only you know your driving habits and desires.

As for bringing the kids in those rear seats? The only "kids" I know that ride back there comfortably are Yorkies and Poodles. Make sure you bring your girls to a test drive and really ask yourself if getting them in and out of the back seats is realistic. Someone once said the only reason Porsche added those faux rear seats was to qualify for lower insurance rates in Europe. I don't know if it is true. I only know my grandkids don't fit in em.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #14

I'll make sure I take the kids... good news is we have two other cars that can more than accomodate... maybe I'm just using that to talk myself into it more. You guys know how we can get when it comes to our Porsches Always looking for the angle... especially with the wife!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #15

The rear seats were one reason why I bought my 996. I already had two other two seaters and wanted the option of having another car to haul my kids and dogs in. The biggest problem with the back seats is that you sit very upright, there's no lean to the back rests. If the kids slouch a bit (a nice throw pillow helps with lower back support) it can be comfortable. Fortunately I'm 5'7" and my Assistant is 5'2", so there's usually plenty of room in the back. My 14 yr old and 10 yr old daughters fit fine, as does my Assistant. Even my 17 yr old son is happy back there. Remember - even if it's a bit tight, the kids are still traveling in "Dad's 911". There will be no complaints as they feel privileged even if it is tight. Every last kid in my neighborhood has had a ride in the 911 rear seats because of this "privileged" feeling.

Still there are better options. I looked at Maserati Coupes, which have a much better back seat. But I also looked at the Audi TT and that was impossible for an adult and way too tight even for my 14 yr old. I'm happy with the 996.

Kirk
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #16

Well said

The buying costs on the one you have are already paid for...maybe even the car is paid off. New ones better? Yep. Selling/Buying transaction costs kill you? Yep. Taxes, sales commissions, inspections, PPI, etc.

Think of all the $ you'll save by not buying and selling. Plus you know the condition of your car and don't know about its replacement.

In this economy, if you have to ask...don't.

Put you money in appreciating assets, not depreciating ones.

IMHO
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke

Put you money in appreciating assets, not depreciating ones.

IMHO
Are there any appreciating assets these days?

I expect real estate to stay about the same for the next 5 years. I've taken the 20% down I was going to put into a house and have started Ferrari shopping instead.

I agree with what someone said earlier about going for a 997 instead. If I spent a bunch more money, I'd at least want to look at a different dashboard. I can see the plus of having rear seats, other than that, I really like the Boxster better than most 911's. Some of the wide-body 911's are pretty hot looking though.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
Are there any appreciating assets these days?

I expect real estate to stay about the same for the next 5 years. I've taken the 20% down I was going to put into a house and have started Ferrari shopping instead.

I agree with what someone said earlier about going for a 997 instead. If I spent a bunch more money, I'd at least want to look at a different dashboard. I can see the plus of having rear seats, other than that, I really like the Boxster better than most 911's. Some of the wide-body 911's are pretty hot looking though.

Incorporating Roadracer's response into the OP: I wish that I had bought a Twin Turbo 996 instead of a Boxster 2 years ago, I would of lost less money ( I dropped a chunk of my money with my money guy right prior to the Boxster purchase....DOH!!!!!!!!!). Are you crazy for wanting to upgrade? HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is human nature and you'd be goofey if you had not been looking to do such. Keep everything into perceived preferential order, realize your personal obligations, then decide.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #19

For me it's not a money thing... sure I could invest my money instead of upgrading, but what the heck... I LOVE Porsches! I already have the 401k, 529 for the kids, life insurance and Share Builder on the side... I go to work everyday to provide for my family, I don't live with the mindset that I need to always invest everything. I may die tomorrow, next week, next year... who knows? I do know one thing though, I'm not waiting until I'm 65 to drive a 911. My brother-in-law invests everything... sure he's going to have more money for retirement... but who cares? Life is not a contest, he will have given up all of those younger years of living a little for no guarantee that he'll be around later in life.
I don't know, I didn't want to turn my wanting a 911 into a life philosophy discussion
I'll continue to shop. I do LOVE the Box though so i'm in no hurry...
Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #20

I have owned a number of 996's. My comments are as follows:

1-The years you mentioned would NOT be the ones I would lean towards. The 996 was not a very robust car for those years, with tons of nits and of course, RMS and engine issues galore.

2-Interestingly, I found the Boxster a much more interesting and satisfying car to drive. To me, the 996 always felt like a very powerful VW bug, with the rear end having a mind of its own.

Havings said that, the 996 cab with a tip is a very nice car for a woman (wife). Weather permitting, the top is dropped and you can cruise and look good too.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote