Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #1

Wobbly mirror glass?

Hi Guys,

my driver side mirror glass wobbles around while driving (not the mirror itself, just the glass)

The passenger side is fine, is there anyway I get fix this so that it is secured better? I have no idea where to start pulling the mirror apart to fix such a thing!

Sam

sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

Chances are if your side window glass is wobbly or doesn't go up and down right or goes up at the front but not the back part or vise versa....

Your window regulator needs replacing.

You access it from the inside by taking the door panel off.

It takes a mechanic about 90 minutes to do it. I guess you could do it too with instructions you can find on the internet and buying the part from a dealer.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #3

Sorry - I have worded that a little poorly, the mirror glass wobbles, not the window. The mirror housing remains steady, but the mirror glass wobbles (I can still move it with the electric conrtol, but it seems as if whatever holds it steady is not attached or broken?

How do I dismantle the mirror?

Sam
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #4

Garage
Yo bro,

Adjust your mirror all the way to the inside so the outside edge is sticking out. Now grab the mirror edge and pull it out. The mirror glass is mounted with a circular plastic clip and it takes just a steady pull to release it. If your car has heated mirror's there will be a wire to disconnect before you can free the mirror and troubleshoot the reason for the mirror to become loose.

Let me know your findings, if you find your mirror mounts are non-repairable (plastic clips are broken and won't remount securely) I might be able to help you with a replacement mirror. I changed my original with a factory convex for better blind spot awareness. It's now gathering dust up in the shop.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-11-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #5

Hey,

thanks - just tried this on my lunch break then and it may have fixed the problem (I'll let you know after I drive home!) Seems quite simple once you know, adjusted mirror, pulled the glass off and then tightened the three screws under there that appear to secure that holding ring.

Has anyone else ever had these go loose on them?

Regards,
Sam