Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

idle problem when sitting stationary

please help me with a slight idle problem .
When im driving my boxster 986 triptronic v reg 52.000 miles full service history .
it sometimes idles irraticaly between 800 rpm@s and drops slightly to 700 then back up to 800 or above.
it dosen't do this all the time , i mean i could drive it all day and have no problems then i could drive it for a couple of mile's and it starts to slighty rev up and down .
then i park it up and when i go back to start it up its fine it only happens sometimes any help with this problem would be much appreiciated hope thats the corect spelling if not i guess you will probarly will correct me regards Anders

anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #2

Seems to be a regular issue with these cars. I recently did this procedure to my car, thanks to Pedro. Make sure you have the idle control valve gasket before you start (it's cheap even from the dealer) as it is fragile and breaks easily.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Clean_the_Throttle_Body.html

And then while I was there I removed the MAF and sprayed it down with MAF Sensor cleaner from the local auto parts store. It's outlined here (toward the bottom of the write-up), with thanks to Mike Focke:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor

It took me about 2 hours of actual work to complete this maintenance and the total cost was around $8.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrunkSteve
Seems to be a regular issue with these cars. I recently did this procedure to my car, thanks to Pedro. Make sure you have the idle control valve gasket before you start (it's cheap even from the dealer) as it is fragile and breaks easily.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Clean_the_Throttle_Body.html

And then while I was there I removed the MAF and sprayed it down with MAF Sensor cleaner from the local auto parts store. It's outlined here (toward the bottom of the write-up), with thanks to Mike Focke:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor

It took me about 2 hours of actual work to complete this maintenance and the total cost was around $8.

I've read Pedro's procedure thoroughly. After you did this, did it cure the problem? When I have the AC on, my rpm will drop far enough that the engine will die when the clutch is depressed.
bradshjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #4

thank you for your help will try and track down gasket and tools this weekend and have a go will let you no how i got on
thank you and keep up the great posts regards Anders
anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #5

i had similar problem with my 01 manual trans. idled with a small hesitation from time to time - AC on or off and every 3 months or so would get CEL P1128 or P1130. (cel only came on when stopped and idling immediately after exiting from freeway).
Bit the bullet and performed MAF and throttle body cleaning.
Liberal use of MAF cleaner = used the entire can of MAF cleaner and go2 od cleanout of throttle body (gummed up pretty bad and the butterfly was sticking at the close position.
result - smooth idle. no hesitation at clutch engagement and no cel.
well worth the time. most was spent waiting for the MAF to dry to reapply next shot of cleaner. ~ 2hour

Last edited by sb01box; 10-09-2009 at 06:09 AM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #6

My car has only stalled once with the AC on and that was when I was exiting the highway after a high speed drive. After I did these two procedures, I noticed the idle smoothed out considerably and is pretty much dead on now. There is a little idle hunting that happens when I turn the AC on, but this smooths out within a second or two. I did this because my car wouldn't pass emissions. I was suprised how much smoother things were after.

I am learning that these cars need to be tuned up and maintained. I am suprised at how enjoyable it is working on them.

2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote