Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #1

Porsche Boxster Nose Bra

Hi everyone,

Last year my wife took out my Boxster while I was away on business to go "joy-riding" with her friends at the beach. When I returned, I brought out my baby to wash and noticed there was a chip on the front bumper. I have since fixed the chip but do not want a reoccurrence. Now, you say, don't let the wife take the car, but in all fairness, it could have happened to me.

Does anyone have experience with nose bras? Can you recommend a good one? I understand you have to be careful about abrasions from seams, hooks, and the type of material used. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #2

As you can see from my photo, I have the factory vinyl bra, along with the two side mirror muffs. Particularly stylish on a Speed Yellow Box, don't you think?
Very effective against stone chips, but a bit of a pain to put on and take off. A couple of clips are installed inside the luggage compartment channels, which engage loops on the bra. The rest of the installation is via U-shaped clips that slip under the lower edge of the body at the front, and in the wheel wells.
The biggest problem is a flap that is supposed to be tucked behind the license plate frame. The only way I have found to put the flap in place neatly is to actually remove the license plate frame, install the bra, and then replace the frame with the flap tucked behind it.
The bra comes with a warning to not allow water to dry on the paint underneath the bra. Doing so is likely to cause dulling or discoloration of the paint that is impossible to remove. Any time I drive the car with the bra on it in snow (never)or rain (only by accident) I WILL get some water/condensation under the bra. I remove the bra as soon as possible, dry the car and allow the underside of the bra to dry completely before using it again.
I think all this is a reason for the popularity of the clear plastic bras that are applied directly to the paint.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #3

I use to know my bras. I bought one in 1999 when I got my car. I only use it now when we have drives because the car in front of you will kick up rocks and gravel. Some local guys who track their car also put it on for the same reason.

Colgan in Southern California makes the bra sold by Porsche. We called it the old style or full style that covers the top of the fenders. That is what Ronzi and I have. Back then you use to be able to buy it from Colgan or Porsche. The difference was if you bought it from Porsche it had a crest on it and cost more. Then Colagan would not sell the full style, so you could only buy the full style from Porsche.

Then Colgan came out with a new style bra that did not cover the top of the fenders. That is what is in the picture. This is the only one Colgan would sell, and Porsche did not sell this style. I always thought it looked funny, unlike the full style. Back then I actually bought both styles and returned the new style.

I have no clue who currently sells what.

Some local owners have the 3M clear film stuff. I do not see how that is going to stop a rock from chipping your paint if it hits hard enough, unlike a padded vinyl bra.

There is only one sure way I know to avoid paint chips and tickets. Don't drive the car. I am on the UK and the German boards and they think we are crazy with this bra stuff. So I tell them we only use it on the race track....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #4

I Have both Invisguard/Stonguard (don't know whcih came with the car) and a carbonfiber-look vinyl bra that I ordered from eagle day.
I also added the thicker clear vinly headlight covers (very thick) to protect my amber-ectomy project.
The clear bra is cool because most people don't even notice its on.

see if you can spot it

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #5

ToolPants, you can actually get the full style (one that covers the fenders) from Colgan already. It's being offered by Mid America. I just ordered a carbon fiber look from them, but chose the one that leave out the fenders. They're going for the same price.

I only put them on when I go down the track. No bra, no track for me Same goes for the magnetic stoneguard for the rear fenders...

Perfectlap, I know this may come a bit late. But did you check out the prices of EagleDay compared to Mid America? EagleDay is asking $129.95 for a plain black bra. Mid America carbon fiber look is going for $99.95. Both are Colgan...
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #6

Thanks, everyone. Has anyone seen the speedlingerie bra? http://www.speedlingerie.com/ They will actually match your factory paint. It looks great, but not sure if it is worth the steep price, $559.00. OUCH!

Gonna have to do some more thinking about this one......
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie
Thanks, everyone. Has anyone seen the speedlingerie bra? http://www.speedlingerie.com/ They will actually match your factory paint. It looks great, but not sure if it is worth the steep price, $559.00. OUCH!

Gonna have to do some more thinking about this one......
Yes, one of the guys at the local Porsche Club has it on this speed yellow Boxster. Very very nice. But for the price, forget it. Mid America is selling them for $499.95 if I'm not wrong if you're really keen.

But bottom line is you're not intending to keep the bra on everyday right? For the $4000 delta, I can live with an 'ugly' black bra just for 1 day at the track
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #8

I have the Colligan "carbon fiber" bra too. I don’t use it that often. If I am going on a prolonged interstate drive Ill put it on, and some times during the winter if there is lots of salt and sand on the ground and my daily driver is out of commission for some reason.

As far as the colored bra, that cool and all but $$$$$. I guess you guys should have bought black cars

I bought mine through Pelican Parts.