Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Tracking a Boxster S vs 911 996

I bought an 03 Box S to track. It is about 2" of so short of leg room. Yes I've deleted the center console.

Short of finding someone to move the pedals forward...

I realize I'm probably asking the wrong group here but how much harder is it to learn how to drive properly a 996 than an 03 Boxster S?

rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

how tall are you?

I'm 5'8" and my box fits me GREAT! I guess there are BENEFITS to NOT being tall!!

You can learn to drive the 996, but I don't think it will ever be as balanced as the boxster. you can't change the laws of physics....although from time to time I think my car defies them...
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
You must be pretty tall. one of my Boxster friends is 6'4" and fits pretty well. He is also an animal on the track.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #4

I think people must prefer different angles... because I'm 5' 5" and have the seat almost all the way back. And no, I don't drive gangsta style.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart

I realize I'm probably asking the wrong group here but how much harder is it to learn how to drive properly a 996 than an 03 Boxster S?

A 996 is harder to drive fast....how much harder? Well, that's all relative. A Boxster can make a bad driver look good and a 911 can make a good driver look bad. For a novice, the Boxster is no doubt easier to drive 8/10ths. However, once you master the 911, some say it's much more rewarding and fun to drive at the track than a Boxster. Most can master the 911, it just may take you a little longer to feel 100% comfortable. If you don't fit in the Boxster.....grab the 996.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #6

A lot of people drive with their seat too far back and reclined back too much as well. Just years of bad driving habbits and posture. I'm almost 6' and I have plenty of room behind my seat still...aprox 3-4 inches. Your knee should have a significant bend in it when you depress the clutch and your seat back should be almost completely upright with your elbows also significantly bent when hands are in the 10 and 2 position on the wheel.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Are you legs too long or are you too tall?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #8

I know later models have telescoping steering columns, but can you accomplish that with earlier models? Is there kit to extend the wheel, with or without air bag? At 6'2", my knees are against the lower dash and my arms are straight.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #9

996 vs. 986

Most of my track experience to date (probably 25-30 DE days) has been with a 996 GT3. At the level at which I had attained (non-advanced solo), very few cars passed me in any given session. The experience driving that car was almost spiritual. I know for a fact that I was typically nowhere near the limits with that car as it scared me, and I didn't want to risk putting such a nice car into a wall. I got rid of it because of this fear, and bought a spec E30 BMW which I drove a bit more aggressively and soon put it into a wall at Sebring I now have the 986 which is equipped with GT3 seats, 6 point harness, Brey-Krause bar, short shifter. I have done only one DE with this car and several autocross. I'm scheduled to do a 2 day DE at Roebling next month. I can say that this car is every bit as fun as the GT3 in it's own right, and I'm way less scared of it!

BTW, I'm 6' 3" and have never felt as though I don't have enough leg room in the 986.

Weekend Fun car: 02 Boxster S
Mark Dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote