Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #1

You just never know when Angels may smile on you

A chance meeting about 11 yrs. ago, has yielded the newest addition to our family, a 1976 BMW 2002.

11 yrs. ago, I was visiting my sister, who is a physician. At the time, she was collaborating with an elderly surgeon visiting from LA on a paper they jointly published. We all went out to dinner and eventually the conversation drifted to my passion and love for cars.

The doctor from LA said he understood, that he had an old Jaguar MkII Saloon which he cherished. I asked him if he had any other cars and he said not really, that most of his life he'd had very nice daily drivers such as Mercedes, Jags, Caddys, Lincolns,etc. but that the Jag was his only collector car. He did say that he had an old BMW which he'd bought as an anniversary present for his wife back in 1976 - a 2002. He said that his wife drove the car for about 3 yrs. until one day, she suddenly developed an aneurysm and unfortunately passed away on her way to the hospital in the ambulance. He said he was so dispondent that he just couldn't part with the car, so he put it in the corner of his garage, covered with a blanket.

I said that I understood, but if he were ever to think of selling it to please call me before ever putting it up for sale, that I would show the car the reverence it deserved, that I'd always wanted a 2002. He took my card and said he would call me, but doubted he'd ever sell it, and besides, he figured it wasn't worth any more than a couple thousand anyway. The rest of the evening passed in general conversation, but when he left, we shook hands and he assured me that if ever he sold the car he would indeed call me.

Fast-forward 11 yrs. - I had all but forgotten the dinner, but a month ago I got a call from the doctor's daughter in Colorado who called to tell me that her father had passed away in April and that his estate had just been probated. She told me that in his will, he had stipulated that she contact me and offer me the car for the agreed upon price of $2000. Imagine my thrill! She said they were getting ready to sell his house and wanted the car removed as soon as possible. I immediately said yes and in a leap of faith, sent her a cashiers check, sight unseen and arranged to have the car transported to my home. It arrived yesterday at 4pm.

I pushed it, along with the transport driver, into my garage and was amazed. The car is absolutely clean, not a speck of rust anywhere! The color is Saharra w/ tan interior. It is an automatique w/ AC. A one-owner California car with 53,000 original miles - backed up by the registrations and service records. In one sense, this is a 3 yr. old 2002!

I drained the oil, swapped the plugs and battery. Siphoned all the gas from the tank and added 3 gal. fresh. When I turned the key, the car started within 20 sec. and settled to a fairly smooth idle in under a minute. All the gauges and lights work, the interior, though dusty is immaculate. The body is in good shape with only a couple odd door dings and the glass and chrome is excellent. The paint is good but I'll do a thorough buffing and polishing. The car has all the service records, owners manual, even the window sales sticker! The spare has never seen the road, and the jack and tool roll don't seem to have ever been opened or used. Even the ashtray and cigarette lighter are unused.

Now it is a 34 yr. old car which hasn't seen regular service for 31 yrs., so I will do a very thorough sorting and updating before driving it on a regular basis. In fact, I have already ordered about $3500 in parts - all hoses, vac lines, belts, shocks, springs, all suspension bushings, brake pads/shoes, wheel bearings, waterpump, all new engine gaskets incl. headgasket, carb rebuild kit for the weber downdraft, Master Cylinder rebuild kit, fuses, all new bulbs, a new set of tires. I will swap the points for a Crane XR700 optical trigger system, I have ordered a complete stainless exhaust incl. a 4-into-1 header. I'm going with a suspension upgrade kit from Kormann Racing incl. Bilsteins, 1.5" lowering springs, larger front/rear sway bars, poly bushings. I am also doing a 5-speed conversion, also from Kormann which is bolt-in kit incl. a rebuilt 320i tranny (w/ 24mo./24k mi. warranty), clutch, flywheel, pedal box w/ master, shifter and linkage incl. boot, mounting brackets and custom made balanced drive shaft. For right now, I am keeping the rear drums but upgrading to Tii master and wheel cylinders, in the future, I may opt to add rear disc brakes, again 320i parts. I am on the hunt for a 320i Sport leather steering wheel as well as a set of 320i sport recaros, again in leather. The car will be ziebarted next week to protect it from future rust.

Been too busy going through and sorting the car to take any pics, and the next few days have rain forecast, but I promise to post some by the end of the week. I still love my Boxster, but who says you can't love two?

A BMW 2002 has long been on my short list of cars to own, and to have this surgeon whom I only met just the once remember me and want me to have the car is just incredible! I don't know if St. Peter is reading this, but if he is, all I can I say is: " let the guy in and treat him well!"

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-21-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #2

Congrats and cool story. Definitely sounds like the car ended up in the correct and appreciative hands.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #3

Congrats B, let's hope they smile on me today at an interview that could transform my life.

PS Thanks for the Fiat help, I drove my future inheritance 38 year old car to a cafe to have a dark beer and maduro with my 82 year old dad. The car was a bee hive of activity. I have never seen so much gawking ever, it was cool for my dad as people asked him about his car.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 09-21-2009 at 04:20 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #4

That's a very cool story and it sounds like the car couldn't be in better hands. A friend once raced a 2002 on the vintage circuit; he sold it when he was battling cancer. Now that he's gone, I occasionally see "Max" (as he named him) from time to time, passed between new owners. No one cared for Max more than Jon; but it sounds like the doctor's 2002 will have a happy new home.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Excellent score! You need to post some pics ASAP.

I almost bought a black 1976 BMW 2002 in 1977 when my 1971 Trans Am began having some problems. They wanted $5,000 which was a bit rich for my blood at the time (college student) and I passed. Always had a sweet spot for those trusty old 2002's.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Congrats B, let's hope they smile on me today at an interview that could transform my life...

Thanks! And I wish you the best with your interview!

1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 09-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Thanks! And I wish you the best with your interview!

I think I kicked ass, I wont know about a second interview for a couple weeks, the place doesn't open till Thanksgiving. I'm pretty psyched though, I already hold licenses for the position, currently work PT in the same medical discipline and have experience with their information systems.

I can see that Raby rebuild just over the horizon...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #8

What a great story!! It was meant to be!

Now get some pix of that bad boy online for us.

Cheers!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #9

So, you will not be keeping it in orginal condition.
Ok.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
So, you will not be keeping it in orginal condition.
Ok.
No, I prefer to think of it as upgrading or improving it. There has been lots of aftermarket support for this car through the years which has spawned innovations which make the car run better, stop better, improve starting, handling and reliability. The 5-speed conversion for instance uses the same gear ratios but adds an overdrive allowing the car to rev about 20% lower on the expressways which helps prolong the life of the engine and aids MPG (BMW did make a very few '02s w/ 5-speed, but they are as elusive as the alleged #89 Porsche 550 Spyder). The Crane electronic ignition does away with the points and condenser, making the car run and start better. The SS exhaust is just more longlasting. The suspension upgrade is Korman Racing's 'Street' upgrade as opposed to their 'Street/Track' or full blown Race setup. The ziebart coating will help preserve the shell. The car will not really be any faster, and it will still have the stock 100 hp. I'm not doing any mod which isn't time-tested and essentially become the standard for these cars.

But, I do hear you. I do want to try and preserve the car as much as possible and not turn it into some ought-two on steroids; if for no other reason than deference to the sentimental attachment to the car by the person who made it possible for me to own it to begin with. I believe the reason he chose me to own the car after his passing was that he felt it would be in caring hands, I do not want to disappoint.

My inclination is to keep the car stock, or as least as much as possible. But, with this car, some parts are simply not readily available anymore, or if they are, they are extremely difficult to track down and then astronomically expensive - I have had a little more than a month to research this model, parts availability and lurk the '02 boards to see what the current state of the marque is, so at least I'd like to think I've chosen them wisely. Believe me, there are lots of go-fast parts available for these which I have rejected. However, I will keep all the original parts and will not make any changes which are not totally reversible.

1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-21-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #11

Great story.

I had a 2002tii for a couple of years back in the early 80s. Fabulous car. Its party trick was moving from standstill in 4th (top) gear with no throttle, just keeping the clutch at the bite point.

Cam chain tensioner went and the valves hit the pistons. I had to sell it for scrap.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #12

Looks like "Max" is up for sale, yet again...

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/bmw/1217804935/1217804935ss.htm
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #13

This thread still has no pics!?!?!?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #14

Sometime you pick the car....

and sometimes the car picks you.
Great story and she is where she was meant to be.
Enjoy.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #15

Well, this car has consumed me for the past 6 weeks. I have spent hours getting it sorted and finally have some pics for you all.

I have upgraded the solex carb to a weber 32/36, replaced the points and condenser with a Crane XR700 electronic ignition, added Bilsteins and H&R springs, all poly bushings, rebuilt and rebooted the half-axle CV joints, rebuilt the diff. - seals, fluids, gaskets, flushed and refilled the steering box, re-bushed the idler arm, new poly steering flex coupler, total brake replacement incl. braided SS flex lines, all fuel lines and filter, all engine gaskets incl. headgasket, total SS exhaust replacement, all new bulbs incl. H4 halogen headlamps,, hoses, relays, fuses, waterpump, t-stat, repacked the bearings, new tires, new ball joints, tie rods, sway bars, replaced rubber door, trunk, window and hood seals, had it Ziebarted and finally washed and waxed it for it's first photo shoot.

The car is a gas to drive - absolutely LOVES to be tossed around - even on 175/70 profile tires (only weighs 2016 lbs.) and gets lots of thumbs up wherever I go. They're very rare in the midwest where the Tinworm took his toll on many. I had one guy follow me a mile until I pulled in so he could see it and yesterday, an older guy who saw me park it followed me into the barber shop saying he owned one back in the day and loved it.

BMW's advertising tag line - "The Ultimate Driving Machine" was created for this car.

It's not perfect... yet, but I am loving this car. More pics to follow.

1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-06-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #16

Do not change the rims... keep those old school. I can understand most of the mods that you've done... except for the electronic ignition... just too fangled complicated. Nothings wrong with points and condensors.

And I wonder how many of our members have changed points?

It does look good.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Do not change the rims... keep those old school. I can understand most of the mods that you've done... except for the electronic ignition... just too fangled complicated. Nothings wrong with points and condensors.

And I wonder how many of our members have changed points?

It does look good.

Thanks... Yea, I do love the 'steelies'. Next summer I'll have them media blasted and then 2 cans of Wurth Silver and one of Clear and they'll be like new. The tires are only 13" - I got a new set of 4 Pirellis for $240 for all 4 - mounted, balanced - the price of 1 Boxster tire.

The Crane XR700 is an optical trigger - an IR LED shoots light across a gap with a 4-shutter wheel living under the rotor between the LED and a pick-up sensor. When the shutter wheel slot rotates past, the sensor picks up the light, and the 'box' triggers the coil. Nothing too new-fangled about it - mount the box, attach 3 wires - 1 to ground, the other two to either side of the coil and then plug in the sensor unit which lives in the dizzy (after setting it to TDC). Much better than a Hall Effect Pertronix because it's immune to irregularities such as worn distributor shaft bushings which will change the air gap and mess up the Hall Effect - almost like points bounce. This system means that you basically never have to open the distributor again, except to change the rotor every 40k mi. or so. There are guys I know who've gone 100k mi.+ with this system and never had the timing vary. The car starts much more like a modern car - less than 1 revolution. I've done lots of points and it was the technology for almost a century, but this is better.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-06-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #18

Here's another...

1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #19

And another...

1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #20

Wow. Awesome Dude.

gunmetalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote