Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #1

Not so camera-shy Boxster...

Again, my Box-mobil ended up having a small part in this silly video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGsHsonCsHM

-- peer

Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Music!

Nice camera rig Peer!

I really dig that music (Caravan)! Whose rendition? If you haven't heard it check out the up tempo rendition from Cuban piano player Chucho Valdes.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Nice camera rig Peer! I really dig that music (Caravan)! Whose rendition? If you haven't heard it check out the up tempo rendition from Cuban piano player Chucho Valdes.
Yep, this version is a little nugget -- Duke Ellington with Max Roach and Charles Mingus. The Duke was more versatile than many think, not the least comparing this loose & punky version of Caravan to the more famous one he did. I have four versions of Caravan; two by the Duke, a fast live one by Dave Brubeck, and then the Maynard Ferguson (w/ Buddy Rich). So now I've to check out the Valdes' one -- thanks for the recommendation.

-- peer
Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #4

Cool, except, geez, I guess yours is bigger than mine....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #5

Very nice indeed - looks like a 5D mkII maybe? You have a very nice collection of lenses etc. to go with it!

I have a more modest setup with a Canon T1i and a couple of L series lenses too. Where did you get the rig with the rails, follow focus and all? I have been looking at the Red Rock stuff but it seems a little pricey.... http://www.redrockmicro.com/

Looks like you are also using an external audio recorder with a mic and windscreen. Which recorder are you using?

You should be able to take some very nice cinematic looking footage with that rig - cheers!
TMM986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM986
Very nice indeed - looks like a 5D mkII maybe? You have a very nice collection of lenses etc. to go with it! I have a more modest setup with a Canon T1i and a couple of L series lenses too. Where did you get the rig with the rails, follow focus and all? I have been looking at the Red Rock stuff but it seems a little pricey.... http://www.redrockmicro.com/ Looks like you are also using an external audio recorder with a mic and windscreen. Which recorder are you using? You should be able to take some very nice cinematic looking footage with that rig - cheers!

Yes to most all of the above -- I even use some RedRock parts.

-- peer
Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #7

Peer, what do you use all that camera equipment for?

I can't tell from the video as I am not an expert. Is that video or still photography? I saw a flash on the top but also what looks like a furry boom mic.

Edumacate me!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

That red rock stuff is a super ******************** to set up. You lose a lot of light in the micro flip X and the ground glass mech.

Don't you guys get horizontal scanning problems when shooting with an SLR and moving quickly? Or is there a fix for that problem?

Oh and Randall this is a video set up. The follow focus whips and mic are the give aways.

Last edited by Alex Walker; 09-27-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Alex Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #9

either you are a professional photographer, or you should be.

I have a Panasonic point and shoot 6MP digital I got at Costco.... I'll pass on any "duels" with you!!!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #10

RandallNeighbour wrote:
> Peer, what do you use all that camera equipment for?
> I can't tell from the video as I am not an expert.
> Is that video or still photography? I saw a flash
> on the top but also what looks like a furry boom mic.
> Edumacate me!

A giveaway that this is a video camera is the shotgun microphone and the follow focus. The "flash on the top" is actually a 600 lumens running light (that I built myself). Although this camera can also shoot 21Mp stills, I use it only for video. What's so unique is that it shoots full frame, creating that shallow depth of field (DOF) that previously could only be achieved by >$50k film/video cameras used for movies. Here's an example of what this camera can do, shot by a fellow 5d2 forum member:

-- peer
Old 09-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #11

By the way, here's me and my focus-puller shooting a commercial for a motorcycle manufacturer last month:

-- peer
Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 AM   #12

That's really amazing. Excellent DOF for digital imaging.

(I was a professional still photographer for a number of years)

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote