Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #1

Oil in coolant??

I own a 2000 Boxster S and over the weekend my temperature gauge warning light came on and on checking my coolant level was low. This wasn't much of a surprise as at my last had noticed a slight drop a few weeks ago.

No problem I thought and bought some replacement coolant and topped up. By the time I'd driven the 2 miles home my temperature gauge was a little high and when I opened the coolant cap it spewed out in a brown foam.

My initial thought was that I'd topped up with the wrong coolant and this had caused the reaction so I took it to my local (non porsche) garage for a flush through. However they are saying that it's oil in the coolant and therefore probably a head gasket. Which is pretty serious.
Worse still, speaking to my usual porsche garage they are saying that the boxsters they've had in a similar situation have had fundamental engine block / head failures and have needed new engines. This wouldn't be worth my while given the value of the car.

It all seems a little strange though that this only occurred when I topped up the coolant. There's no white smoke out of the exhaust (just the occasional blue smoke on a start up) and there's no water in the oil. Though the oil level is a little low.

Is this really likely to be a finished engine or could it be something more simple (and less expensive!)

alanhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Engine Surgeon

Could be:
-Failed heat exchanger
-Cracked head
-Slipped sleeve
-Blown head gasket

Based on the year and model of the car, I'd go with the cracked head...

It can be repaired, despite what the narrow minded dealers may say- they just don't want to get their hands dirty. We can repair the cracks for 5-800.00
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #3

Well that wouldn't be so bad I'm just a bit concerned that I'm going to end up spending 1000's chasing a problem that may not be found and end up in a new engine situation anyway. Wondering whether ti just cut my losses now.

I've asked my local garage to do a full flush through anyway and I'll see what happens when I run it up tomorrow. Just seems strange how it was perfectly fine until I topped up the coolant
Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhess
Just seems strange how it was perfectly fine until I topped up the coolant

I hate to say this, but are you sure you added coolant to the cooling system and not to the oil pan; they are right next to each other in the rear boot, and it would not be the first time someone has done that...................
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Engine Surgeon

Thats what Porsche wants you to do.. Be inconvenienced enough just to buy another engine..
How many miles are on the engine?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #6

I've got just under 75,000 thought I'd get a few more than that as well
Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
I hate to say this, but are you sure you added coolant to the cooling system and not to the oil pan; they are right next to each other in the rear boot, and it would not be the first time someone has done that...................

Yeah it was definitely the right one, I made sure I double checked but it's a fair point
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #8

I have the same problem awaiting to diagnose on my 130k MY97. Theres also the possibility of a freeze/cold plug in the cylinder head to add to Jake's list
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Engine Surgeon

Yes, the expansion plug issue can create this as well.. BUT usually the expansion plug failure wll get coolant in the oil, not vice versa.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 09-15-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #10

alanhess...
You are a long way from Jake Raby to help you (other side of the pond).
I don't know where you are situated in the UK, but you MUST get professional advice to your problem - and not just from an OPC outlet who will insist on an engine replacement.
You can try Hartech in Bolton, Lancs, (www.hartech.org) who seem to be doing good work similar to Jake Raby, another is Autofarm (www.autofarm.co.uk).
Whatever, let us know the outcome of the problem.

Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote