Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #1

Thank you everyone.

I haven't really made any posts here, but I wanted to thank everyone for their knowledge, and the sharing of experience. I totaled my box yesterday after a very brief ownership. Although I walked away completely unharmed, I thought I would share the video I shot after the crash. Be careful out there! Hopefully, one day I will rejoin you all on the forum with another Porsche. It truly was a great car to drive....

Just to give you the brief rendition of what happened, I lost control on a curve, hit the retaining wall, and spun into the Mercedes you see in the video. Nobody was injured.

After the crash.

huewish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #2

I am very sorry to hear this but very glad you are OK.

Best wishes for a better outcome when you get your next Box.

Thanks and please remain on the board. We have plenty of ex-owners that post.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #3

Glad you are ok.... but, excessive speeds on public roads an issue maybe? I don't want to be an ass but what do you expect to hear, at least from me? Thanks for raising my insurance rates? The road appears to be dry, other then fluid leaking from the car. One can safely make assume that this was driver error and not a mechanical issue. Be safe in the future and don't push the limits on public roads, I would hate somebody hitting me like that on my motorcycle or somebody's wife and kids in a minivan.

Last edited by ridetheworld; 09-09-2009 at 04:36 PM.
ridetheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Gallows humor here...

I got hit on the driver's side door - front is fine - b/w the two cars we could have one perfect one and a few parts left over for Ebay.

LB, Jake...fire up the torch.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huewish
Just to give you the brief rendition of what happened, I lost control on a curve, hit the retaining wall, and spun into the Mercedes you see in the video. Nobody was injured.
I was wondering if you could let us know what the tires were that were on your car, and how worn out were they?

I am wondering because from the video, it doesn't look like much of a curve, and I'm assuming that the rear end of the car came around on you while you were hot footing it around the curve.

It would let me know what not to consider, at the very least.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheworld
Glad you are ok.... but, excessive speeds on public roads an issue maybe? I don't want to be an ass but what do you expect to hear, at least from me? Thanks for raising my insurance rates? The road appears to be dry, other then fluid leaking from the car. One can safely make assume that this was driver error and not a mechanical issue. Be safe in the future and don't push the limits on public roads, I would hate somebody hitting me like that on my motorcycle or somebody's wife and kids in a minivan.
Actually, it would be worthy of a lawsuit by the way the road was designed. Typically, the grade of the road elevates opposite of a the direction of a curve (Think race oval). On this one, it is the exact opposite. Also, there was something that cause the back end of my car (other than speed) to slide out so quickly. I have taken that road numerous times faster than I did yesterday. Knowing the balance and weight distribution of Porsche, it is exceedingly rare that a back end comes out the way mine did. Also, if I did something wrong, and was completely at fault, I would have been cited by the officer who arrived. Instead, he called me a tow truck, and gave me a lift to somewhere air conditioned so I could wait for my ride.

I don't know if you are familiar with Dallas roads, but even the slightest rain turns them into something similar to ice. I presume their was something on the road. Some sort of fluid. I know my cars. I know their limitations. I have been driving for 24 years and have never had an accident that was my fault. Yesterday was the exception. So, yes. You are being an ass. You are making a lot of ASSumption for not being there. I came here to thank people, and warn them of something unforeseen. That fluke. If I have somehow made your insurance rates unaffordable, I apologize. Get a second job, or buy a Camry, but don't ASSume you know everything.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

Hi, I'm glad you are fine and nobody got hurt, whatever the cause of the accident learn and move on.

Better luck with your next Box.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #8

Ok. guys, lets play nice.

There is no need for insults on either side.

What is done, is done.

Thanks for understanding.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #9

Glad to hear that everyone walked away without injury.

bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #10

too bad you were in a crash, but glad you walked away unharmed. Given my particular line of work, I have seen some serious traffic traffic collisions - it doesn't take much to be killed when you combine speed, drastic changes in speed, twiste metal, and the fragile human body.

Be glad you are okay and chalk it up to a learning experiene.

I hope you replace your boxster with another one!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #11

I was running P Zeros with about 75% tread life, and I came into the corner off the throttle. I have intentionally put this car into controlled slides before, and the car was perfectly maintained, including the suspension. I have never had a car slide out like that before, and I have driven everything from Porsche, to Ferrari, to Mercedes, to BMW as far as rear wheel drive vehicles are concerned. You actually can't see the most significant portion of the curve in the video, or the grade of the road. I have driven that road in a Mercedes, a Range Rover, and the Box. It always struck me as an odd design, but that is something I have always taken into consideration on that curve. If the angle was correct, and the road was free of any type of slick material, it would have been a normal curve. I have taken that curve 20mph faster than I did yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecutter
I was wondering if you could let us know what the tires were that were on your car, and how worn out were they?

I am wondering because from the video, it doesn't look like much of a curve, and I'm assuming that the rear end of the car came around on you while you were hot footing it around the curve.

It would let me know what not to consider, at the very least.

BC.

Last edited by huewish; 09-09-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #12

where in dallas?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Actually, it would be worthy of a lawsuit by the way the road was designed. Typically, the grade of the road elevates opposite of a the direction of a curve (Think race oval). On this one, it is the exact opposite. Also, there was something that cause the back end of my car (other than speed) to slide out so quickly. I have taken that road numerous times faster than I did yesterday. Knowing the balance and weight distribution of Porsche, it is exceedingly rare that a back end comes out the way mine did. Also, if I did something wrong, and was completely at fault, I would have been cited by the officer who arrived. Instead, he called me a tow truck, and gave me a lift to somewhere air conditioned so I could wait for my ride.

I don't know if you are familiar with Dallas roads, but even the slightest rain turns them into something similar to ice. I presume their was something on the road. Some sort of fluid. I know my cars. I know their limitations. I have been driving for 24 years and have never had an accident that was my fault. Yesterday was the exception. So, yes. You are being an ass. You are making a lot of ASSumption for not being there. I came here to thank people, and warn them of something unforeseen. That fluke. If I have somehow made your insurance rates unaffordable, I apologize. Get a second job, or buy a Camry, but don't ASSume you know everything.
Sorry to offend you...I just got back from looking for a second job.
ridetheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 AM   #14

It was actually Las Colinas near 114 and O Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
where in dallas?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #15

Call it morbid curiosity...I was interested in viewing the scene, GoogleEarth style. You have a latitude/longitude reading on the site (assuming you have GoogleEarth on your computer)?

BTW, glad to hear everyone escaped unscathed.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #16

I have intentionally put this car into controlled slides before...

On public roads with traffic? The curve you describe is off camber and challenging on a race course. Save your jollies for the race track, if you've ever driven on one. This is the kind of stuff that gives Porsche drivers a bad name out there.

Public roads are not designed to be driven at excessive speeds and those that choose to ignore, suffer their own consequences. Glad innocent drivers weren't hurt...

(From a father of two teen drivers, part-time racer and PCA DE instructor).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #17

It takes years to realize and admit your mistake when you cause an accident.
In my case it took me 10 years to admit that "hey, I was driving too fast on an unknown road" when I totaled a car and broke a dozen of bones

But, no one will change his driving habits just because he was criticized on a forum. So, thank you huewish for sharing this experience. Learn and move on... You are very lucky that no one was hurt....
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #18

Glad you are ok and sorry about the Box.

You say
Quote:
I was running P Zeros with about 75% tread life, and I came into the corner off the throttle.
Every accident has a cause.

I am interested to know if you lifted the throttle before entering the turn or once into the turn? What was the air temperature at the time of the accident? Were the tires warm? Could there have been some oil or fluid on the road that caused the spin? What was your entry speed? What is the posted speed limit for the turn?

My interest is not to point fingers, just to try and understand what caused this unfortunate accident.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #19

Garage
Hey bro, after watching the video I started watching related videos of crashes and there you were walking around your car (Boxster Funeral). Good to see your OK, car still looks like crap though. Have you checked to see what the insurance company will take to buy it back? You could make money on selling the parts. Front end damage is the best because the business end of a Porsche is in the rear. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #20

Listed elsewhere

but the salvage amount for MY2001 is $5,000. I had driver side door, rear quarter and rocker panel damage. My quick mat/ gut call says just take the money - tires worth zero and what is the market for an engine with 90K miles?

But if anybody has any experience or ideas - now is a good time to chime in.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote