Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #1

Former 350Z owner, need advice on buying a Boxster S

Hi, unfortunately with all of this horrible weather i hydrolocked and totalled my 350Z touring edition.. i loved the 350z everything about it, with my insurance money i was thinking of picking up an 00-03 boxter S 6MT..something different from the Z (i dont want to get another, but want something similar or better.. hense the S).. anyone driven both cars and can tell me some advantages to the S.. also the differences between the model years and performance? thanks in advance.. i have pics of the incident if anyone's interested in seeing a totalled 350z.. =(

Also what are the major diffs between the 00-02 models and the 03?

LB350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #2

03S came with the hard window in lieu of the soft vinyl window.
Beefier brakes
Horsepower went to 260 from 250.
04 Anniversary Edition hp went to 266
05 987 to 280
Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Lux

I’m pretty familiar with the 350Z/G35 Coupe (and used to own a QX4 with the 3.5L VQ motor). You will not be disappointed in a Boxster S. The Boxster S (3000lbs) has much more telepathic handling than the 350Z…much more. The Z feels like it weighs more than its 3200lb curb weight.

The initial torque is strong in the Z but it feels like it runs out of breath quickly whereas the Boxster S has good torque down low but comes on real strong after 4K rpm and keeps pulling to to 7.2K rpms.

Everything is a little “smoother” in the Boxster, for lack of a better word (e.g. there’s no constantly vibrating shifter like in the 350Z). Brakes on the Z are waaay overboosted to give the impression of great braking, but you’ll find the Porsche’s brakes much better and more linear.

As far as changes between ’97-’02 and ‘03+, the biggest 3 are revised interior with better materials and glovebox, glass rear window instead of plastic, and Variocam +…Porsche’s version of variable valve…netting more torque (90% from 2K rpm).

350Z is a very nice car for the price (and I’ve been a fan of Z cars since the 240Z). However, Boxster S is nicer all around…albeit at a higher price.

Aftermarket is way more plentiful and cheaper for the VQ engine. But you'll have your usual assortment of intakes, headers, exhaust, suspension, etc. for the Boxster.

How the hell did you hydrolock the motor?
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #4

The boxster S outruns the 350z in the 1/4 and runs circles around it on a track. The decision is obvious.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies! Lux, you're post helped a lot.. you talked about that variocam.. is it on the 03's and not the 00-02's? also how much difference does that vario cam make.. like is it worth the extra money to spring for an 03 rather than look for a good deal on a clean 00-02?

as for the how the hell did i hydrolock my engine?? a picture is worth 1000 words:

Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #6

Vario-cam is on the 00-02 boxsters as well but porsche tweeked to slighty to offer better gas milage in the newer cars. Porsche calls it vario-cam+ on the 03 and 04 models. Vario-cam is just variable valve timing like on honda vtec engines....just not quite as extreme. You feel an extra "kick" at 5,000rpm when the engine switches.

Last edited by Adam; 02-27-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #7

If you want to call me I can chat with you about this subject. I have three Boxster S models 01-02.

Feel free.

760-522-7327

Thanks

Brucelee (Rich Belloff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB350
Hi, unfortunately with all of this horrible weather i hydrolocked and totalled my 350Z touring edition.. i loved the 350z everything about it, with my insurance money i was thinking of picking up an 00-03 boxter S 6MT..something different from the Z (i dont want to get another, but want something similar or better.. hense the S).. anyone driven both cars and can tell me some advantages to the S.. also the differences between the model years and performance? thanks in advance.. i have pics of the incident if anyone's interested in seeing a totalled 350z.. =(

Also what are the major diffs between the 00-02 models and the 03?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #8

Lux pretty much hit the major points on the head. I owned a 350Z when it was first released.

The Z felt more like a touring car to me, while the Boxster feels much more nimble without feeling twitchy or without any heft (really the perfect balance between responsiveness and stability).

Z has great tourque off the line but the Boxster S seems to pull better up high. I couldn't stand how the shifter vibrated in the Z, especially at high RPM's... made me feel like the transmission was gonna give out in any high RPM runs; no problems with this in the Boxster (although the stock shifter is a bit noodle-like and throws too long, for my taste; but can be cured with a short-shifter-kit).

Two things I also like better in the Boxster S is the steering and clutch feel. Both cars are drive-by-wire throttle, but the Z's felt too light and artificial while the Boxster's has a more natural resistance and progressive feel to it. Steering was assisted too much in the Z, and is just about right in the Boxster (although I wish mine didn't feel so light at high speeds).

I loved how the Z looked on the exterior, but hated that interior. It felt like I was sitting in a $30k tub. The interior on the 986 Boxsters, although not the greatest, is still better than the 350Z and of course you'll never feel like you're sitting in a tub when you have nothing but blue skies above.

Aftermarket for the Boxster is much more limited than the Z and definitely much more expensive. I'm still experiencing sticker shock at much of the upgrades available out there.

Good luck with your search!

One more thing - is that you sitting in the car while it was submerged!? Were you trying to drive it out?

http://www.yellowpimp.org/ferrari.jpg
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 PM   #9

Brucelee: i'll be calling you tomorrow after i release my car to the insurance company, i may just have to take one off your hands.. are any silver?

Jwocky: yes thats me on the phone talking to my dad telling him my engine is seized and my car is f'd. haha.. i didnt know waht to do at that point..i tried to get out and water rushed into the cabin.. i dont know if anyone is familiar with the belmont shore area in long beach, but my house is half a block from the beach and is the last place i would expect to get flooded..i climbed out the window and my and my roomate pushed my car to the curb..a sad sad day.. but i guess its a sign!

I LOVED my 350Z, loved it, no real complaints except for the cheap interior.. so that's what makes it so hard to replace and i dont want another one.. on only car i can think of w/ style and performance that can "one-up" the z is the boxster, so here i am.. hopefully i'll have one soon!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
Lux

Hmm. Yeah, I can see how that would hydrolock your motor.

Good luck on the Boxster.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
Quote:
i dont know if anyone is familiar with the belmont shore area in long beach, but my house is half a block from the beach and is the last place i would expect to get flooded..i climbed out the window and my and my roomate pushed my car to the curb..a sad sad day.. but i guess its a sign!

I had a girlfriend in San Pedro, so I used to go down that-away every so often. You will NOT be disappointed with the Boxster S. I bought mine last summer (a 2000 triple black) and it is the most fantastic car. I had a preapproved loan through my credit union and sat on it and looked at all my options, and for me there is really nothing that cam compare in style, performance and 'wow' factor as this car. I smile everyday I drive it (which being in Las Vegas is pretty much everyday).

welcome to the club!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #12

Rich, it was nice talking to you today.. thanks for answering all of my questions about the car! Hopefully soon, whether i buy yours or not.. i'll have my new S!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #13

It seems to be pretty easy to get into trouble in a 350Z. I totalled mine into the pit wall at Buttonwillow Receway last August, and another guy hit the tire wall there yesterday. You never wanna hit the throttle in 2nd gear in the Z with the wheel cocked, or you will end up backwards for sure. And even worse in the rain.

None of that is a problem in an EVO.

2004 EVO RS -- Muellerized/RRE engine & suspension
2004 Audi S4 (B6) sedan -- bone stock

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
Ernest Hemingway
Richard EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #14

Talking

Thanks Tai. Good luck on your quest for the best!

Quote:
Rich, it was nice talking to you today.. thanks for answering all of my questions about the car! Hopefully soon, whether i buy yours or not.. i'll have my new S!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #15
Watch Freak

Take a look at mine too. It's for sale at a very aggressive price with tons of mods. My sig has pics and info.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #16

You won't be disappointed with the Boxster. It is a brilliant car. My daily commute has never been more fun and I ride my ZX6RR in the summer.
To quote Richard "I smile everyday I drive it". Must have something to do with those 00' triple black models.

Good Luck
rmf986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #17

Stryke, why are you selling it?

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #18
Watch Freak

I'm selling it because I am getting married in 5 weeks and I have too many cars. This one and my Lexus truck need to go!

2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote