Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

Car starts but engine stops soon after

Yesterday while driving home, the Box started fine. However as I approached a stop light I braked and shifted into neutral to stop, then the engine stopped. After this the engine would start when I turned the key but right after firing up it would die. After about a minute of trying I got it up and I realized that keeping the revs up a little kept the car alive. It is in the garage now and is still having this problem.

I'm guessing the problem is the oxygen sensors, which I knew were getting old. But I wan to make sure it's not another new problem that has risen. I'm ordering oxygen sensors today online and I'll also clean out the maf too.

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #2

You can throw expensive parts at the problem

or try to read some codes and see if they lead you to a more focused definition of the problem.

I'd do the latter.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
or try to read some codes and see if they lead you to a more focused definition of the problem.

I'd do the latter.
I had the codes read some time ago, it pointed at the MAF and Oxygen sensors. I was going to replace them but was too lazy to order. That's what I get for procrastinating I suppose.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #4

How do you know this problem isn't unrelated to your ealier codes and might be something serious like IMS or such?

I am continually amazed at the number of people who run their cars or try to limp them home when encountering engine issues. This car is known for them and if mine ever died, the first thing I would do is call AAA for a tow rather than try to run it not knowing what the issue(s) might be.

I wouldn't run the car until I had the codes read and was more sure it relates to your earlier issues, you could seriously compound the difficulties (and $$) if you did.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-29-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #5

How can I get the codes read without taking it to a mechanic? I am ordering the oxygen sensors anyway, they needed to be replaced.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #6

Code Scanners

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-31-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Yesterday while driving home, the Box started fine. However as I approached a stop light I braked and shifted into neutral to stop, then the engine stopped. After this the engine would start when I turned the key but right after firing up it would die. After about a minute of trying I got it up and I realized that keeping the revs up a little kept the car alive. It is in the garage now and is still having this problem.

I'm guessing the problem is the oxygen sensors, which I knew were getting old. But I wan to make sure it's not another new problem that has risen. I'm ordering oxygen sensors today online and I'll also clean out the maf too.
Actually, your symptoms make me wonder if you have tried cleaning the throttle body anytime in the recent past?

I ask this because there is an idle air control circuit in the throttle body, and if it gets caked up with carbon, it will make idling very difficult.

Personally, I would start with a throttle body cleaning first, and then move on to other items as I check the way the car runs using a tool like the Durametric Diagnostic tool. That's one of the first things I picked up for my car after taking care of normal wear and tear items on it.

If you lived in the Denver area, I would let you borrow it any time you wanted.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #8

Is throttle body cleaning an easy DIY? I can do it tomorrow if its a simple thing. I have done a service 6 months ago, but I'm not sure if it included that. I can check the receipt right now.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #9

Link

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Clean_the_Throttle_Body.html
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #10

Thanks, that doesn't seem hard at all. I'll do it tomorrow morning. Time to get intimate with my car *dirty thoughts*
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #11

Those things boogles my mind too.
A fellow just bought a 986, did the PPI all the while the CEL was on. He bought it anyway without knowing the code(s) and knowing the CEL was lit, he drove a "lenghty" trip home. It was bought from some kind of dealer, he didn't say whom or what kind of dealer (maybe Joe's used cars). To my mind, had it been simple the "dealer" would have solved it first.
In my head i'm thinking wtf. I don't get it, I guess thier pockets are deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
How do you know this problem isn't unrelated to your ealier codes and might be something serious like IMS or such?

I am continually amazed at the number of people who run their cars or try to limp them home when encountering engine issues. This car is known for them and if mine ever died, the first thing I would do is call AAA for a tow rather than try to run it not knowing what the issue(s) might be.

I wouldn't run the car until I had the codes read and was more sure it relates to your earlier issues, you could seriously compound the difficulties (and $$) if you did.

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #12

Update:

It turns out that the wire clip end of the Oxygen sensor popped out of its housing, so it wasn't connected. As soon as I did connect it, the car started instantly and with ease, there was a significant difference in power, and the idle is super smooth.

I'm guessing that was the cause, but to be sure I'll change the sensors anyway. Mine seems to have 4 wires. When I order the new ones will they come with the clipped end and I just plug it in on both sides? Are mine heated?

Thanks for your help guys .
Old 08-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #13

I've had to replace the O2 sensors in both of our Mercedes. The mechanic who cares for the cars says there is a 99% failure rate on these, typically between 75-100K. Don't know if that is the case with the Porsche. One thing I found odd is that both times I was stranded with the problem, the engine just stopped -- as was your situation -- but then it would start if I let it sit for 30 minutes. It would start up perfectly again. Learning that saved me some towing money. Worth keeping in mind -- or at least trying if you have this problem again.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #14

I got the codes, it died again but that is simply because the sensor popped out of its hosing again, it is definitely loose and I need to find a way to keep it attached.

The codes I got were:
P0102
P0160
P0455
P1319
P1117

If anyone knows what these are please do help me out, thanks.