Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Unhappy Engine Failure Light

When I started my 2003 S type, the engine failure warning light came on and I noted three odd items. Tachometer does not function, Temperature warning light is on, and the Fuel level warning light is on but the tank is half full. Oil and coolant levels are full.

I have ordered an OBD II code reader and am awaiting its delivery. My symptoms appear to align with codes P0654, P0655 and P0656 but I will wait for my decoder to be sure the indications are consistent with these trouble codes.

Meanwhile...
Is it safe to drive the car?
Has anyone any idea what and how to fix this condition?

Any insights much appreciated.

lostbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #2

If the Check Engine Light is flashing, don't drive the car.

What is your reference for this information: "My symptoms appear to align with codes P0654, P0655 and P0656 but I will wait for my decoder to be sure the indications are consistent with these trouble codes."

I checked on RennTech and didn't see those codes listed for an 03 Boxster.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #3

You do not need the OBD II code reader. You do, but not for reading the basic codes. You can go to any Autozone shop and ask them to read the failure code (for free).
I remember I had a CEL, because I was fooling around with the gauge and left a circuit open (I really don't remember what stupid thing I did, but as soon as I read the code I fixed it).

As Kevin said, if the CEL is flashing don't drive the car!!! If it is always on, drive to the nearest Autozone and have them read the failure code for you... then google :-)
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #4

These are generic codes from www.obd-codes.com. I thought it was interesting that three consecutive codes matched my symptoms exactly. Right now my work hours have not permitted me time to visit Autozone. That is one reason why I ordered a code reader. The other reason is to detect manufacturer-specific codes and be able to clear them.
The check engine light is not flashing. Engine operating temperature is normal.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbrit
When I started my 2003 S type, the engine failure warning light came on and I noted three odd items. Tachometer does not function, Temperature warning light is on, and the Fuel level warning light is on but the tank is half full. Oil and coolant levels are full.

I have ordered an OBD II code reader and am awaiting its delivery. My symptoms appear to align with codes P0654, P0655 and P0656 but I will wait for my decoder to be sure the indications are consistent with these trouble codes.

Meanwhile...
Is it safe to drive the car?
Has anyone any idea what and how to fix this condition?

Any insights much appreciated.

Not familiar with an engine failure light on this car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Not familiar with an engine failure light on this car.

It's hard to see, unless it illuminates:

Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #7

Thoughts

Meanwhile...
Is it safe to drive the car? Without knowing the exact codes, can't be sure. The general rule is the Check Engine Light (CEL) solid it is ok to drive and CEL blinking get it flatbedded. But with so many fault conditions.

Has anyone any idea what and how to fix this condition? Not sure what the condition is without the codes.

You don't want to jump from symptoms to generic codes. Rather go from codes to Porsche DME (Engine Computer) specific codes for your revision of firmware to the DME manual's description of the probable faults and the flow chart of their diagnosis.

My guess is a faulty ignition switch.

Get the codes read...then post them all and someone who has the manuals will post back with specific descriptions.

Last edited by mikefocke; 09-03-2009 at 06:59 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosell
It's hard to see, unless it illuminates:

Hysterical! Thanks for a belly laugh.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #9

OK, here is what I have:
I turn on the ignition key. Oil measurement runs through its paces and indicates oil level is full. Then an engine symbol and "Failure Indicator" replaces the oil level measurement information with an "OK" box below. I pull forward on lower left steering column stick and this clears the message and returns to show odometer and outside temperature. I start the engine. The check engine light in the lower left of the dash stays on, the tachometer is dead, and both coolant temperature and fuel red warning lights are on. Engine idles fine and sounds good. Goes from fast idle to normal idle after a minute or so. Everything appears normal except as noted above.

I got my OBD2 reader today. Its an Innova 3130. It successfully communicated with the on board computer and reports "No DTC's are presently stored in the vehicle's compuer."

This is my daily driver at 93 miles round trip to work but did not want to risk driving that distance daily without understanding the severity of the problem. I live 100 miles from the nearest available Porsche service. If it is safe to drive there I will do that when I can. If it is something that can be fixed locally I would prefer that but not at the risk of the repair being beyond the local shop's ability to fix.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #10

Here is what I would do if it was my car if nothing seemed wrong except dummy lights.

1.) check fluids to make sure oil is clean and not mixed with coolant. and check for leaks on the floor.
2.) check fuses.
3.) if fuses are ok then unhook battery for an hour.
see if that fixes it. run car gingerly and log everything that isn't normal, on your way to AZ to get the codes read.

I know this is a sophisticated piece of machinery, but at our dealership were I worked this is what we did to see if it was just a hiccup in the cpu. Especially if the only sypmptoms were only a dummy light.

Disclaimer. At our dealership, if there was a problem we would fix it the right way. Its just the damn check engine lights would come on if you let some cars sit too long, if you started it up and turned it off too many times to just move it around the lot and other various reasons.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 09-02-2009 at 07:48 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
My guess is a faulty ignition switch.
I agree with Mike.
Most likely it's the ignition switch.
If you want to fix it yourself check out my instructions for DIY replacement.
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #12

My thanks everyone for the response. You were all helpful. Even Foosell's satire was fun but, if it truly is a $9.15 cent part that is the problem and I can stand on this old head to replace a faulty switch, then I don't feel it is much of a money pit situation. This may even turn out to be a fun project in spite of the minor aggravation.

I will first disconnect the battery and do a fuse check. If I need to replace the switch that will take a few days to get the part and the time. I will report back when the issue is resolved.

Thanks again and happy motoring. Cheers.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #13

Let me rephrase my previous reply. You guys are absolutely awesome!!!!

After waiting a little while with the battery disconnected, the problem has cleared itself. Everything is back to normal. I will order the switch because this could easily repeat itself and I will have some backup. But for now, awesome results!!!!!

Again