Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 295
Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Anyone have this bumper?

I kinda like it but I want to see another view of it. If anyone has this bumper installed and has pictures please share!



Actually I like this whole body kit and for the price it seems like a great deal. I'm just unsure about the rear bumper..




thanks

TimW

__________________
TimAustinW
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ignature-1.jpg
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 713
Looks like a copy/retrofit of the StudioTorino RK Spyder bumper...

more pics of the car here:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2005-Studio-Torino-RK-Spyder-Porsche-Boxster.htm
__________________
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/...90927559_o.jpg

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered User
 
ChrisZang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Carlos, CA 94070
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova

droooooooooooooooooooool
__________________
I still wave at Boxsters, but they no longer wave back :-(
2002 Boxster S "Violet" (sold but not forgotten)
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey" (current ride)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,240
@ the RK Spyder...

If it starts to rain, what do you do? Find an overpass to sit under?
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bastrop, TX
Posts: 705
That whole set looks great.

I thought that we where all advised not to get a fiberglass bumper. Is this one different from the rest?
__________________
2002 S
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colchester, CT
Posts: 489
I don't get the big scoops on the side skirts. Wouldn't that impede aerodynamics?
__________________
1999 986 2.5L, Stock Exhaust (S muffler), EVO Intake, 18" Stock rims (17" during winter), IMS Upgrade, 150k+ miles and counting!
87 944S brought back to life
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 295
Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
That whole set looks great.

I thought that we where all advised not to get a fiberglass bumper. Is this one different from the rest?

Yeah this is Duraflex not fiberglass
__________________
TimAustinW
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ignature-1.jpg
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 295
Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Holy crap that thing has a supercharged 3.8....dammit I wish I was a millionaire. I should have gone to med school instead of art school. My brother is a neurosurgeon. Maybe I can start getting him hooked on Pcars so I can have his leftovers
__________________
TimAustinW
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ignature-1.jpg
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,675
I should have gone to med school instead of art school...

My friend is a well known cardiologist with lots of nice toys...he works so much, he doesn't have time to enjoy them.

How about a happy medium? I'll just keep buying lottery tickets or wait until both my kids are done with schooling, if I have anything left.
__________________
JGM
2002 Boxster S
1973 911 Green FrankenMeanie
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Posts: 959
Okay... first Duraflex is still fiberglass, don't be fooled into thinking your car can be indestructible with a Duraflex front bumper. I would not advise fiberglass in the front for fear of cracking/breaking it easily. I think this does depend on the QUALITY though. My 996 has a TechArt fiberglass front that seems quite durable. But then we're talking about a $6,000 bumper. However, I've also seen tons of cheap Japanese crap busted up easily.

Second, the Duraflex bumper on the website given:

http://www.bodykits.net/body-kits/porsche/boxster-986/152034/

and here from the manufacturer:

http://www.extremedimensions.com/11448.html

Is NOT even a Duraflex bumper. How do I know, because that's MY car in those photos (which BTW I had no idea was being used for their photos). The front bumper pictured is actually a Porsche GT3 OEM bumper, which fit perfectly and is a more resilient plastic rather than fiberglass or Duraflex. Get one of these, someone in Atlanta is actually selling one right now here on 986forum:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21854

Kirk
__________________
2000 Boxster S - Gemballa body kit, GT3 front bumper, JRZ coilovers, lower stress bars
2003 911 Carrera 4S - TechArt body kit, TechArt coilovers, HRE wheels
1986 911 Carrera Targa - 3.2L, Euro pistons, 964 cams, steel slant nose widebody
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,656
Cheap bodykits are like $5 hookers, you just don't do it.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 295
Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Awe. Now I'm just sad. So can anyone recommend a retailer that sells quality aftermarket sideskirts, bumpers, etc?
__________________
TimAustinW
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ignature-1.jpg
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest

Last edited by TimAustinW; 08-26-2009 at 12:43 PM.
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
@ the RK Spyder...

If it starts to rain, what do you do? Find an overpass to sit under?

If you can afford an RK you pay God to stop the rain....Seriously, what makes you think the cowl isn't hiding a ragtop?
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Cheap bodykits are like $5 hookers, you just don't do it.
why not? in both cases hehehe

u kow..after a few beers its all good, but you sober up and see what the heck u just did....BUT, how sober do you have to be to figure out cheap bodykit is no good?
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Okay... first Duraflex is still fiberglass, don't be fooled into thinking your car can be indestructible with a Duraflex front bumper. I would not advise fiberglass in the front for fear of cracking/breaking it easily. I think this does depend on the QUALITY though. My 996 has a TechArt fiberglass front that seems quite durable. But then we're talking about a $6,000 bumper. However, I've also seen tons of cheap Japanese crap busted up easily.

Second, the Duraflex bumper on the website given:

http://www.bodykits.net/body-kits/porsche/boxster-986/152034/

and here from the manufacturer:

http://www.extremedimensions.com/11448.html

Is NOT even a Duraflex bumper. How do I know, because that's MY car in those photos (which BTW I had no idea was being used for their photos). The front bumper pictured is actually a Porsche GT3 OEM bumper, which fit perfectly and is a more resilient plastic rather than fiberglass or Duraflex. Get one of these, someone in Atlanta is actually selling one right now here on 986forum:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21854

Kirk
Haha...one of the photos on the link you posted also uses a 6-speedonline boarder (ofishbein's) car to try and sell their cheap bumpers. Wonder if they got permission from him to use his car's photo too. LOL
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/album.php?albumid=400&pictureid=2923
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,656
Get this bumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-KQQKR8ZpI&feature=related
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bastrop, TX
Posts: 705
Kirk,
If I where you, I would send a legal letter to the company head stating that you would like your royality checks send directly to your office. You can inspect the source code for the website and see how long they have been using your picture and then extrapulate a resonable cost to use your photos.

You may never get a dime, but it would be fun to mess with. I get a twisted joy out of stuff like that.
__________________
2002 S
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Kirk,
If I where you, I would send a legal letter to the company head stating that you would like your royality checks send directly to your office. You can inspect the source code for the website and see how long they have been using your picture and then extrapulate a resonable cost to use your photos.

You may never get a dime, but it would be fun to mess with. I get a twisted joy out of stuff like that.
They have emails listed on their website for contact. I would tell them you do not appreciate them using photos of your car without your permission.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Kirk,
If I where you, I would send a legal letter to the company head stating that you would like your royality checks send directly to your office. You can inspect the source code for the website and see how long they have been using your picture and then extrapulate a resonable cost to use your photos.

You may never get a dime, but it would be fun to mess with. I get a twisted joy out of stuff like that.

Not to hijack this thread, but I appreciate the input. Honestly I was pretty pissed yesterday that they did this. I figured out that they stole the photos off my Car Domain web page, doctored them, put their own watermark on them to claim them as theirs, and put them on their web page to sell a product not really pictured on the car. I also found out from some web searches that this is NOT the first time that Extreme Dimensions has done this, and yes I've checked the legal side of it and as I took the pictures myself with my camera of my car and posted them on my website they are my property and Extreme Dimensions does not have a right to use them for their marketing.

I've sent e-mails to the head of marketing and he's promised to take the photos down once I provide originals proving that they are mine (easy enough to do). We'll see how it works out. If they don't take them down, then I will honestly seek legal recourse. I just think it was a completely underhanded thing for them to do, especially when they could have contacted me EASILY through Car Domain.

And thanks Boxtaboy, I sent Ofishbein a PM about this over on 6speed.

We'll see what happens.
__________________
2000 Boxster S - Gemballa body kit, GT3 front bumper, JRZ coilovers, lower stress bars
2003 911 Carrera 4S - TechArt body kit, TechArt coilovers, HRE wheels
1986 911 Carrera Targa - 3.2L, Euro pistons, 964 cams, steel slant nose widebody
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Not to hijack this thread, but I appreciate the input. Honestly I was pretty pissed yesterday that they did this. I figured out that they stole the photos off my Car Domain web page, doctored them, put their own watermark on them to claim them as theirs, and put them on their web page to sell a product not really pictured on the car. I also found out from some web searches that this is NOT the first time that Extreme Dimensions has done this, and yes I've checked the legal side of it and as I took the pictures myself with my camera of my car and posted them on my website they are my property and Extreme Dimensions does not have a right to use them for their marketing.

I've sent e-mails to the head of marketing and he's promised to take the photos down once I provide originals proving that they are mine (easy enough to do). We'll see how it works out. If they don't take them down, then I will honestly seek legal recourse. I just think it was a completely underhanded thing for them to do, especially when they could have contacted me EASILY through Car Domain.

And thanks Boxtaboy, I sent Ofishbein a PM about this over on 6speed.

We'll see what happens.
Good luck! I have also seen people do this on fleabay when they took a guy's picture of his 986 S with OEM bodykit, and were trying to sell aftermarket cheap fiberglass side skirts. Losers!

__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page