Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Stripe on steering wheel?

Anyone know what they use to make that stripe at the top center of the steering wheel? I like that racer's stripe that they have in the pic below...

I have the 3-spoke leather wheel as show in my interior shot below. Can a stripe be added to the leather grip, or does it only work on a hard surface like carbon fiber? And please- no wise crack remarks like, "just use some painter's tape!"

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #2

It depends.... On the suede racing OMP steering wheel I bought, it is actual yellow leather sewn in. On some hardcore rally and other racing cars (non multi-million dollar cars) its bright electrical tape. On the carbon wheel you pictured, it could either be paper or plastic material embedded into the resin/clear. Or vinyl tape on the outside. But not having seen it in person I could not tell you. It could also be paint then cleared over.

For your leather wheel I don't know of an easy way to add the stripe that would look good.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944boy
It depends.... On the suede racing OMP steering wheel I bought, it is actual yellow leather sewn in. On some hardcore rally and other racing cars (non multi-million dollar cars) its bright electrical tape. On the carbon wheel you pictured, it could either be paper or plastic material embedded into the resin/clear. Or vinyl tape on the outside. But not having seen it in person I could not tell you. It could also be paint then cleared over.

For your leather wheel I don't know of an easy way to add the stripe that would look good.
Thanks. Guess I'll keep it as is then.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #4

Unless you do a lot of track driving, why would you want the stripe (other than for the look?) That is obviously tape, as a carbon wheel wouldn't have the stripe.

I use this quite often with novice drivers to keep them oriented on where the steering position is in relation to the front wheels...this and absolutely no shuffle steering. It's a great tool for teaching turn in and apex steering adjustments (too early, too late). As mentioned, some wheels have the leather stripe sewn in...I use yellow tape.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 08-23-2009 at 02:00 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Unless you do a lot of track driving, why would you want the stripe (other than for the look?) That is obviously tape, as a carbon wheel wouldn't have the stripe.

I use this quite often with novice drivers to keep them oriented on where the steering position is in relation to the front wheels...this and absolutely no shuffle steering. It's a great tool for teaching turn in and apex steering adjustments (too early, too late). As mentioned, some wheels have the leather stripe sewn in...I use yellow tape.
Yeah, I know...I'm a poseur..LOL. I just like it for the look, and would like to add a red stripe.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 AM   #6

Hey, it's OK...I like the look. I found narrow tape in different colors at a craft store and purchased both yellow and red. I actually put the tape on my DD Jeep Gr Cherokee while my daughter was learning to drive; helped her understand the position of the front wheels, as well.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote