Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #1

Towing

I have a 98 Boxster with Tip, and am wondering if anyone uses theirs to tow anything. I am looking at a tear drop camper to go to car functions with and can't seem to find the towing capacity or tongue weight, if any of the Boxsters. Is their anyone who can give me any info? Thanks, Ed

cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
I have a 98 Boxster with Tip, and am wondering if anyone uses theirs to tow anything. I am looking at a tear drop camper to go to car functions with and can't seem to find the towing capacity or tongue weight, if any of the Boxsters. Is their anyone who can give me any info? Thanks, Ed
Not much towing capacity on these cars. I have seen small tire trailers and Kayak trailers. To calculate your towing capacity, find the Gross Vehicle Weight for your car and subtract the weight of the car fully loaded with gas, gear, and people for the weekend. GVW can be found on the driver door.

For example:
The GVW for my car is 3439 lbs, Fully loaded with gear and people it might weigh 3300 lbs (wife doesn't pack light). My towing capacity is 139lbs. No teardrop trailer in my future behind this car. I will have to take the Silverado with 12000 lb GVW.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

I thought that the tongue weight was what was important. If you had a tongue weight of around 300#, the trailor would usually be between 2500 and 3500# depending on how the trailor was balanced. There is a photo of a Boxster towing a 5' wide Little Guy TearDrop Trailor on the front of one of their brochures. I know companies lie, I was just wondering if anyone had any real experience in towing. Thanks for your reply. Ed
Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The Boxster is completely capable of towing a trailer depending on the weight. I've seen people pull everything from racing trailers to jetskis with a Boxster. You can tow most small trailers, but I would be far more concerned with the tongue weight than the weight of the object. Will Wood recommends not exceeding 750 pounds and 60 pounds tongue, so if you can find a teardrop trailer in that range go for it. If a Mini Cooper can pull a small teardrop trailer I am certain a Boxster can.

Here are some good links:
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/trailer/
http://www.willwoodsystem.com/
Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #5

Very heartfelt thanks for the info. . Is there anyone out there who actually tows? Ed
Old 08-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
I thought that the tongue weight was what was important. If you had a tongue weight of around 300#, the trailor would usually be between 2500 and 3500# depending on how the trailor was balanced. There is a photo of a Boxster towing a 5' wide Little Guy TearDrop Trailor on the front of one of their brochures. I know companies lie, I was just wondering if anyone had any real experience in towing. Thanks for your reply. Ed
Doh! You are right. Just add the tongue weight to your GVWR numbers. Sorry, brain fade. A Teardrop may still be possible then. General rule of thumb is to pull a trailer that does not exceed the weight of your tow vehicle. I have no personal towing experience in a Boxster.

Last edited by Topless; 08-17-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
... No teardrop trailer in my future behind this car. I will have to take the Silverado with 12000 lb GVW.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get a 50's Jeep wagoneer, with the faux woody look for that tear drop. Though a 49(?) Hudson would work to....Go see the grand canyon and be sure to pick op window sticker.

pk

Last edited by pk2; 08-17-2009 at 10:15 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
dbw

Trailor hitch

I would be interested to hear about hitches for the Boxster. Many thanks.
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw
I would be interested to hear about hitches for the Boxster. Many thanks.
Rick3000 gave a link for hitches early in the thread, I haven't been able to find any more. Will keep looking and will let you know. Ed
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #10

Funny that I bumped into this thread as I recently posted my experience installing a Will Wood hitch and utility trailer on Rennlist. Bottom line is it works great. As others here have said, the tongue weight is rated at 60 pounds. I'm not sure a small foldaway camper would be that light but I just don't know.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/517105-diy-towing-will-wood-hitch-and-utility-trailer.html
Coochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #11

My guess is, you can forget what the door tells you. there's a guy on our S2000 forum that tows a 3000lb boat. with a stock S2000!

I guarantee you if that car can do it, a Boxster can. Though I wouldn't do it everyday.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/suzukas2000/DSC00100.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=notSrYYpObQ

CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote