Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

B&M Short Shift Clunk

Hey so Im happy overall with my short shifter, except it makes a clunk sound like it is hitting something when i shift to the top row or gears ( 1,3,5) and shifts are really hard and stiff. Im thinking this is because its an aftermarket unit and has metal components, but maybe theres a way to make it feel better. The bottom gears go in smooth. anyone have this problem? I tried adjusting the cables but besides making the throws slightly longer it didnt take the clunking out. I was thinking of trying the undercar application. I would appreciate everyones feedback.

thanks

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunin_Stud
Hey so Im happy overall with my short shifter, except it makes a clunk sound like it is hitting something when i shift to the top row or gears ( 1,3,5) and shifts are really hard and stiff. Im thinking this is because its an aftermarket unit and has metal components, but maybe theres a way to make it feel better. The bottom gears go in smooth. anyone have this problem? I tried adjusting the cables but besides making the throws slightly longer it didnt take the clunking out. I was thinking of trying the undercar application. I would appreciate everyones feedback.

thanks
Did you check to make sure that the lower joint is definitely not running into the support frame?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunin_Stud

thanks

The B&M I had felt exactly the same, that's why I ditched it. I don't think what you're experienceing is abnormal.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Dai

I have one and it does not do that for me, however, I do have Evo aluminum shift link on top of my B&M short shift. I used to have grinding problem when going into 2nd gear if the car is cold and now, the 2nd gear does not grind at all even when temperature at -30F. I'm very happy with the shifter/shift link combo. Adjusting shift link to cable is crucial.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #5

I too have a B&M shifter in mine and it does not do it. Your shift cable needs adjusted at the base or your may have forgotten to remove the Boxster's appendix (the green plate on the bottom if a non S).

As you recall while installing there are 2 shift cables... facing forward in the car, the right one is for forward and aft movement, the other is lateral. If you did remove the appendix, then the fore/aft one needs pulled back a thread or two (or more) on the lock mechanism at the base of the shifter.

I recommend adjusting it and take your car for a drive to run thru all gears to ensure smooth shifting before you reinstall the center console

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #6

I installed a B&M in my car three years ago...shifts are slightly notchy, but precise; exactly what I wanted. The improvement over stock is tremendous...as, others have mentioned, go back and check your cables, as we do not have the problems you are experiencing.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

i definately get the clunk for 1, 3, and 5. 2 to 3 is often pretty notchy...enough to making shift times slower! this is on a 6-speed

i would be interested in knowing where to position the cables with resect to stock so as to get a smoother action
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
It's a known annoyance with the 6-spd trannies. It was never an issue on my 99's 5-spd. Same exact shifter as well. That's why I'm rocking the new 9x7 shifter on my 6-spd.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #9

Yes starting to realize this ....I am new so 9x7 is the 997 shifter?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Yes starting to realize this ....I am new so 9x7 is the 997 shifter?
Yes or 987.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #11

How did you acquire your 9X7 shifter? Is it plug and play. I would appreciate more information.

If it is a relatively inexpensive and trouble-free mod, I would like to give it a try.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #12

Another subject covered ad nauseum if you search.

Just remember there are two stock shifters made for the 997 and 987 (hence 9x7) that also fit the 9x6's. One is the basic shifter and the other is the short shifter.

Both come from Porsche as a complete tower unit, including the alignment tool. The short shifter is more expensive. I bought my short shifter from Suncoast on special.

The process of swapping the shift towers is about an hour's job, most of which is taking the console off. The B&M instructions are great for that.

I love my new shifter. It feels much more like a sports car now.

Last edited by clickman; 09-29-2009 at 08:19 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote