Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Ok, is it me or does the boxster need a real wing?

I love my 2001 Arctic Silver Boxster "S". I mean it is just a beautiful car. But it's not perfect, at least in my eyes. I would love to do some inexpensive Mods. Around $2000 should be a good starting point. I just don't know where the best places to get them.

I am looking at to keep it inexpensive but at a point I don't sacrafice quality. I am currently happy with the front and rear bumper. I don't want to do anything too expensive like rims, or hard top yet.

Want / To do list:= "hopeful budget"
clear side turn signals=$29.00
Rear Fin/spoiler=$500 to $900
Side Aero kit.=$1200 or less
Paint 2 bumperettes silver= cost of paint
mesh the front air intakes= cost of mesh

I am thinking about the aero and the spoiler below. I kind of like the cayman conversion, but would have to see it in person. I still would like a spoiler on the cayman conv. I know it aint cheap!!

So has anybody done any of these and what is a good place to start looking. I noticed some of the parts come unpainted, but I would rather try to find prepainted ones as I am sure the cost is less.
I know I am opening up a can of worms, but all opinions are welcomed!!

Oh, throw some photo's up if you found something really cool!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-11-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: HUMAN ERROR
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #2

You need to research the difference between a spoiler and a wing.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
You need to research the difference between a spoiler and a wing.

Yes, I actually know the diff, but to my defense it was late when I started this thread. I have been couped up in this house for almost a week now, Bad allergies I think, I will find out Wed. It actually feels like the flue.(swine? ). so I guess I am just bored or stir crazy. This and tv has been my only outlet as of late, so appologies if I seem to be spamming the board. Believe it or not it takes my mind off not being able to drive my boxster.

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-11-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #4

Like the Boxster/Cayman, the Bugatti Veyron also has a retractable spoiler, real or not, it works.

Enzo doesn't have a "spoiler" either.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

You might want to try a set of bilstein coilovers, I think I paid 2500.00 installed, you cannt see them, but you can feel them....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #6

here are the mods I might suggest...

paint the bumperettes - it's cheap, you can DIY. I bought the paint kit from paintscratch.com and did it myself over a few days...I took my time and followed the directions. they turned out great. under $100 total cost.

install a short shift kit or the 987 shifter assembly. I put in the 987 assembly and really like it. I paid about $165 for the part and put it in myself. easy DIY. made shifting much nicer.

I'd add M030 or some other aftermarket suspension setup. My car has M030 as a factory installed option - and before buying my boxster, I had a chance to drive other boxsters w/out it and I could clearly tell that "mine" felt far stiffer and way way more sporty. I think you can buy the M030 setup for under $1000, labor would probably be in the $500 range to have installed professionally at an indie shop. those are estimates.... but that will make the car corner a lot flatter and handle amazing.

desnorkel, if you havne't already done it. it's free and easy. sounds a bit better. you hear more of the intake snarl....

as far as cosmetic bumpers and stuff - I think the OEM sideskirts look cool, and on the pre-03 models, the rear diffusers you can add also look cool. the front bumper conversions are nice, but I like the 996 GT3 style bumper - it almost looks lke the OEM bumper you have only with a bit more lip at the bottom..i don't care for the 997 GT3 style kits on a boxster..to me, it looks like youre' trying to make the car into somethign it's not...but others differ on that...and love it. it's your car. bottom line - lowering the car a bit, with 18-19" wheels, and a sligth body kit will give the car a much more aggressive and sporty look.

have you considered litronics or 03+ halogens to get rid of the orange in your headlights? that's MY next mod. I've got clear sides and tails..just need the lights up front and I'm set!

good luck!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

23109VC, thanks for the ideas.

I got the bumperettes on my list
I have a trip so no short shifter, unless I don't know what one is
I will look into the M030 as it sound interesting

The rear diffuser looks cool but aint cheap(but what is on a porsche) funny thing is I just replaced my bumper as I backed into my suv. I had to make room in the garage so I parked my suv in the turn around, and after 3 or 4 days of ownership, I now had ahuge hole in my bumper. Luckily I found a painted one on ebay for $300 shipped. lucky me.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #8

So it's you who has been biding on the rear bumbers of my ebay watch list!
$300 is a lot. I will wait for a $100-200 lottery

I have installed mesh in the front and side air intakes. If you want to really do it you would have to destroy the old grilles. But is looks amazing (at least I thing it does).

Mod no 1 should be the clear headlights. They give an amazingly clean look to your car. I went the halogen way because I was a newb at the time and relatively afraid of the compatibility of litronics. A set of litronics was just sold on ebay for $1025 (not a bad price).
ebay - litronics So GO for a pair of litronics. (I would have to wait to finish with my sound improvements first... New Pioneer Avic Z1100=$1500, 5-channel amp=300, speakers=300... holly ********************)

23109VC's suggestions are great, yet expensive
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoli
So it's you who has been biding on the rear bumbers of my ebay watch list!
$300 is a lot. I will wait for a $100-200 lottery

I have installed mesh in the front and side air intakes. If you want to really do it you would have to destroy the old grilles. But is looks amazing (at least I thing it does).

LOL no I got mine for $150 already in artic silver but shipping was another $129. I rounded up. Just bolted it on and What accident?

I posted my list in the original thread and yep mesh is on it too.
I like your suggestions about the headlights, but I would rather spend that on aero sides and a fin first. My Headlights work fine and they really don't bug me, yet!! You know, if it aint broke....

HEY, what paint did you use for your bumperette? Is there a cheap alternative to porsche pain? Can Home Depot paint macth it? Would I have to back my bumper up to the machine?

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-11-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
You might want to try a set of bilstein coilovers, I think I paid 2500.00 installed, you cannt see them, but you can feel them....

Ed

First things first, suspension will improve your lap times, drive quality.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Ike

Exclamation More than a Bug Killer

Hey Mon,

This is a RUF aero nose. It is designed to cancel aerodynamic lift. It makes for a much more stable ride at speeds over 100 mph. When I bought it is was less than your budget.

I have the same tastes as edevlin, 941mxvet, and 23109vc, I don't need extra pretty. I want the maximum balance, control and precision that the boxster platform can provide. The M030 sways, Bilstein PSS9s, and 18-19" wheels are the stuff that enable the Boxster to perform better than sportscars 2-3 times the price! I kid you not.

Happy Trails,
Ike

P.S.: A 355++HP 3.6L X51 adds nothing to the looks except a stain in the ol' lady's bloomers. Start saving your coupons!
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #12

clear headlights would definitely upgrade/update the look of the car... oh look.... i have a pair for sale... check the classifieds...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_box
clear headlights would definitely upgrade/update the look of the car... oh look.... i have a pair for sale... check the classifieds...

LOL, I will check them out.

Unfortunately I pend most of my time under 100mph, but I do a lot of twisties. I haven't officially tracked it yet. Yes I definately want to look into some performance options. I was really interested in the 3.8 jake is working on, but might wait on that at least till I get board(if ever) with my 3.2. My goal is getting the exterior looking a little better. The suspension and other stuff is my second phase, as I have a little more budgeted for that.

Ike, your front bumber looks like mine when I got back from my cross country trip, 120mph fly swatter

You guys/gals don't like the aero look and wing in the first and second pictures?

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-12-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #14

Not a big fan of the aero kit or big wing. I do think the Cayman lip spoiler is cool looking, but haven't seen it in person yet.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #15

I personally think that the wing on the back of the Box breaks up the smooth lines of the rear. With the bumperettes painted and clear/red tail lights, it looks extremely clean and flows so well. Oh and a debadge...
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #16

[QUOTE=yellowboxster01]I personally think that the wing on the back of the Box breaks up the smooth lines of the rear. With the bumperettes painted and clear/red tail lights, it looks extremely clean and flows so well. Oh and a debadge...

I see in your profile thingy, you have the gahh glass window top. How do you like it? Where did you get it? I need a top as my window has a couple cracks on the plastic along the side.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #17

Rear window

I had my done in smoked strataglass (marine coated vinyl). It looks really nice, much better than the green tint. A great fit too - done by an old pro in Toledo. PM me if you want an address.

Only issues - once you have a new window, then you notice how old the canvass looks ;( Also, it is still vinyl, so it takes special care and it will scratch.

If the canvas looks new, replace the window - otherwise I would go with a new top. Labor is the same.

AND do not try this at home - leave it to a pro with the proper equipment.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
AND do not try this at home - leave it to a pro with the proper equipment.

Oh, you had to dare me didn't you?

I don't live in toledo anymore, and the way I am i know I need to get glass. I think you can get new canvas and glass window for around $600. Plus my professional free install Hey I am the one everybody asks to put the tent together.

I am still working on how to get the rear 6x4 speakers to fit.

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-12-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Ike

Talking Look Ma, no bugs.

Hey Mp,

Since you asked.....I like the look of the front spoiler in the first pic, I think the stock butt of the boxster is sexy as is......I have not seen a after mkt fin that does it for me.

Good luck,
Ike
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Hey Mp,

Since you asked.....I like the look of the front spoiler in the first pic, I think the stock butt of the boxster is sexy as is......I have not seen a after mkt fin that does it for me.

Good luck,
Ike

Yeah, I am still looking for "IT", as the fin goes. I see a couple that look cool from one angle. I do kind of like the defuser bumper, but for the price, I will pass.

first I am getting some clear side markers and I am looking at the clear front lights form the above post. It just pains me to spend good money on something that isn't broke