986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Techno Torque 2 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21665-techno-torque-2-a.html)

Bob O 10-10-2009 03:31 PM

Got mine from Pedro yesterday and installed it last night so I haven't had the time yet to put much mileage on...only 50 miles or so as of now. And now it's up on jack stands while I flush brake fluid and wait on new pads to get here Monday. But next weekend is the last DE of the year and I'll report after that. Assuming the weather doesn't freeze us out!

Nice pics ddb...looks exactly like mine! Oil, dust and all. lol Mine was a little dirtier than yours, but it cleaned up well. I was also wondering what the odd shaped piece is for. Is it a muffler/silencer sort of thing? I don't know.

OH....be SURE...positive.. that there are no air leaks. Double check the rubber fittings on each end of the tube. I had a small leak that I couldn't see, on the bottom side of the tube. The fitting hadn't seated well. WOW.. the computer went nuts! Car started, but wouldn't idle. No power, no throttle response, backfires. Wouldn't hold a speed. And it threw several cel's. I only went a few blocks but that was enough. Came home, undid the hoses, reattached them making certain they were dead center on the tube. Magic...it runs like a top.

Just a word of warning if you happen to get an air leak. The computer gods are NOT happy.

Bob

Burg Boxster 10-11-2009 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddb
Does anyone know the purpose of the oddly shaped piece on the tube from the air box to the throttle body? It is close to the throttle body end.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...n0529/002c.jpg

If you're talking about the wart in this picture, it's a muffler to help meet European sound abatement ordinances or the like.

:)

Bobiam 10-12-2009 05:09 AM

ddb......you're probably right about the wart thing. I'd like to see what happens if THAT were eliminated. I'd rather do that than desnorkle. It may or may not link to power curve.

Bob O...... you musta needed a change of underwear after that first test drive with the air leak.... ;)

OK.... I'm counting on you two guys to give us your unbiased evaluation of the new install. By the way, what, if any, mods do you have on the intake or exhaust? Or is it stock at pre-Pedros?

Best of luck.......

Adam 10-12-2009 07:59 AM

On the piece of pipe with the sound abatement "wart," has anyone found a piece of semi-flexible rubber or plastic hose that could replace that? It seems like that would cause air to tumble and turbulence to occur so a smooth pipe would be better. Maybe even something found at the local hardware store or Lowes?

Bobiam 10-12-2009 08:25 AM

I'd guess that our most knowledgable readers know of threads that have discussed this before. This effort to make a smooth tube may not be worth the time and money. I would hesitate to apply an easy mod until sure that it was a definite sound +/or sound improvement.

********************************************.org catalog has several of these things called an Air Box or Air Box w/ muffler (used for $65). One of these could be used for an experiment, perhaps. There are no exact photos of each available, but it appears that there are variations for different years with and without the muffler. At this point its anyones guess if it's just a matter of using a particular year's "airbox" to eliminate the muffler section. I'd still guess that it's all been done before, and if it's not on the list of easy hacks, it likely is not worth the trouble.

Jaak 10-12-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
On the piece of pipe with the sound abatement "wart," has anyone found a piece of semi-flexible rubber or plastic hose that could replace that? It seems like that would cause air to tumble and turbulence to occur so a smooth pipe would be better. Maybe even something found at the local hardware store or Lowes?

Check out Pedros Garage ... he has a hack.

Bob O 10-12-2009 08:37 AM

Bobiam: The car initially started fine. It was on the drive that it went nutso. And so did I...lol. To say I was concerned is an understatement. Once I ran through everything, I figured the only thing I could have done wrong was getting the air leak. Easy fix. Had to have a couple of cold ones to calm me down though! Now I have to find a code reader to elimnate the darn cel's it threw off when it was all screwy.

And yes... pedro's site has instructions for the air inlet hack eliminating the muffler. (www.pedrosgarage.com) . It's also on my list of to-do's.

Bob

eightsandaces 10-12-2009 09:22 AM

If by wart you mean that little cup at the end of the inlet that looks like a holy water holder (for lack of a better description) It comes right off, then if you wish you can leave the now wide open inlet stack in place.

Bobiam 10-12-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
If by wart you mean that little cup at the end of the inlet that looks like a holy water holder (for lack of a better description) It comes right off, then if you wish you can leave the now wide open inlet stack in place.

The guy in post 103 called it a wart and there is a pic there. I can't recall what a holy water bottle looks like. On my way to hell, I guess!

eightsandaces 10-12-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobiam
The guy in post 103 called it a wart and there is a pic there. I can't recall what a holy water bottle looks like. On my way to hell, I guess!

Haha. naw you aren't going to hell for that...

Actually what I was talking about is under the side vent where one de snorkels. If you want to do a "partial" de snorkle you can remove the cup that looks like a finger dip well. The wart dealio is a new one to me..

Adam 10-12-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob O
Bobiam: The car initially started fine. It was on the drive that it went nutso. And so did I...lol. To say I was concerned is an understatement. Once I ran through everything, I figured the only thing I could have done wrong was getting the air leak. Easy fix. Had to have a couple of cold ones to calm me down though! Now I have to find a code reader to elimnate the darn cel's it threw off when it was all screwy.

And yes... pedro's site has instructions for the air inlet hack eliminating the muffler. (www.pedrosgarage.com) . It's also on my list of to-do's.

Bob

Everytime I try to go to Pedro's page the computer is so slow it nearly locks up. It makes it nealy impossible to navigate his site. Is it just my computer, or is anybody else having issues? I'll try my lap top at home and see if I have the same issue there as well.

Wingnut2u 10-12-2009 12:04 PM

No problems accessing it from my pc and speed is decent too, most likely an issue on your end somewhere

blinkwatt 10-12-2009 12:08 PM

I've never had an issue with his site accessing it from 4 different computers.

Bob O 10-12-2009 12:09 PM

Same here... no problems with his site

Bob

sd_boxster 10-12-2009 12:12 PM

I noticed some rendering issues with his site yesterday on the DIY motor mount page using IE on Vista 64 - guessing it has to do with glow/drop shadow for text. Page load was really slow, and the text was unreadable.

I chalked it up to IE and Vista and moved to my Mac.

Bobiam 10-12-2009 01:41 PM

I've been ont that page a number of times and it's always as slow as s_ _ _! Pedro has a problem there which I have not encountered on any other site. Too bad because there some good stuff on that page.

Bob

ddb 10-12-2009 02:06 PM

Bob O and Burg, thanks for the replies. I thought maybe it was a noise abatement device. And yes Bob O, it is tricky getting the "T" installed perfectly with the gaskets and clamps lined up and tightened just right. I too would have had an issue if I hadn't double-checked before turning the key.

Bobiam, I just buttoned it up yesterday and only drove for a couple of miles to see if I had any air leaks or other problems. Fortunately, I did not, at least not yet. I won't have time to drive the car any this week. The earliest I can get enough miles on it for the DME to adjust will be the weekend. I will definitely post my views once I've had enough seat time.

As far as getting rid of the noise abatement part on the intake tube, I took care of that yesterday as well. First just let me say that Pedro's solution is probably the most cost effective and just as good as any. I'm not as resourceful however and went another route. A couple of weeks ago I read a thread on PPBB from "The Voxster" (thanks for posting it Voxster) about a smooth intake tube from AFE Power. I installed it yesterday while I was in the area. Unlike the OE tube it doesn't have the flexible ribs or the noise abatement device. I'm pretty sure the ribs are there to ease installation and removal of the OE tube. It is a bear to install the rigid AFE unit. The ribs may disturb the smooth flow of air but I doubt they have a very big negative effect.

Like I said earlier, I've only driven the car a couple of miles. I didn't get the temperature warm enough to stand on it, so I can't say anything about any power gains. I will say the combination of the TT2 and AFE tube definitely affected intake noise. In my short test drive I noticed a big difference! I guess that noise abatement device works. I'm looking forward to adding more miles and running up the RPM's to see what it really sounds like.

Bobiam, I've been meaning to list my mods in my signature and will do so now.

ddb

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...n0529/003c.jpg

Bobiam 10-12-2009 04:24 PM

Thanks ddb for the update and taking the lead here. We'll be interested in hearing about your results.

I'm wondering about that missing flex section on your new pipe. Will engine torqing and vibration possibly dislodge the new pipe? Or is that compensated for by the connecting sleeves?

Re your mods, I am wondering if you would notice more improvement because adding intake improvements possibly balance with the exhoust improvements, thereby getting more out of the intake than a stock car would. Perhaps speculation is the best we can do without lots of dyno time.

Bobiam

jaykay 10-12-2009 06:59 PM

Thanks ddb.....I was just about to make my own from turbo tubing. How is the quality of the AFE tube? I notice there are no "flared"/over sized ends to make the connection with the air box and and throttle body.

How is the fit...any air leaks? How much did you pay for the tube/

Thanks

Blue-S 10-12-2009 09:19 PM

I suspect that the "wart" is a Helmholz resonator which would be designed to cancel noise at a certain frequency, in order to quiet the car down. I have not had my intake tube out yet, but I suspect that the tube does not just dump into the "wart" -- it probably resembles a smooth tube inside with a small hole or slot allowing the tuned chamber to connect with the intake tube. It may not be as bad as it looks from the outside.