Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Boxster Has Been Down For A Month

Between waiting for parts from Sunset (I'm on the east coast so it takes a full week) and finding time to work on it too many weeks have passed by. I'm itching to drive it!

The down time started when my water pump began to fail. Fortunately it gave me a lot of warning and didn't leave me stranded or make a big mess. I figured if I was replacing the water pump I may as well flush and replace the coolant. Then I decided to install the LN 160 degree thermostat. The serpentine belt had 20,000 miles on it so I replaced it.

I was also due for my annual oil change (I only drive it ~3000 miles per year). I used Red Line 0W-40 for the first time.

Once I had the undertray removed for better access to the water pump I noticed how much more clearance it created to the exhaust manifolds. I've been wanting to replace them as well as add secondary cat delete pipes and a new muffler. I've been watching the thread started by 2K3_BOXSTER_S with much interest even though I have a 2.7. I had been leaning heavily toward the complete Maxspeed system for some time now. Maybe it isn't as nice as some of the other systems available but the price point was on point for me. So since the undertray was off and the car down for a while I ordered the system.

Previously I had a Stebro Sport muffler and everything else OE with the exception of the snorkel being removed. The first year with the Stebro was fun. It droned in the expected range but I don't too much driving in the 55-60 MPH range so it wasn't too bad. During year two it seemed to annoy me more. I don't know if the drone got worse or if I just got a year older and more easily annoyed.

Lastly I'm installing a drop-in BMC air filter. I installed the exhaust system today, but haven't yet driven the car. When I finished installing the water pump and new serpentine belt one of my idler pulleys started making a noise. So I'm replacing both of them as well as the tensioner pulley while I'm in there. I'm waiting for the parts to arrive from the west coast so hopefully I will be ready for a drive later this week. I couldn't resist starting the car so now I'm anxious to try it out. Down the road I would like to do an ECU flash and squeeze a few more ponies out of the 2.7. BTW, I followed the advice given by others here and used new OE header bolts as well as new OE header gaskets and header to mid-pipe gaskets.

ddb

Here are some pictures:

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Great Job! -

You did a lot of work!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #3

NIce project, but summer is too short to have the car down a month. I also recently installed the LN 160 stat and replaced the coolant after seven years and 15k miles.

It will be interesting to hear your feedback on the exhaust system...I only did Fabspeed secondary bypass pipes and a modified stock muffler, but the sound is terrific, coupled with the Evo Hi-Flo intake.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

FYI Suncoast in FL is competitive with Sunset. I've used both and always compare prices.

I'll be anxious to hear about the new thermostat. I already did the screw-on oil filter (1st class machining!) and the magnetic drain plug.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I was off today, the weather was nice this morning, it is supposed to rain this evening and all day tomorrow, so it was the perfect time to finally take my car out for a spin. Since my original post I had to replace my alternator pulley which further delayed me driving the car after the work detailed above.

I had already completed the cooling system air purging procedure with the car stationary but wanted to make sure all of the air was out during this drive, so I left the bleed valve open. It was 80 F this morning and I drove ~80 miles around a beltway at 70 MPH with the cruise control on. The water temperature peaked and held steady at 185 F (from the ac diagnostics) until I ran into traffic and jumped off the beltway. I understand from folks here in the know that the water temperature gauge is neither accurate nor linear. At any rate, my gauge would normally run right between 8 and 0 before the changes. This morning FWIW it was right on top of the 8. I wish I had checked the water temperature prior to changing the thermostat but adding the thermostat was an afterthought after my water pump had failed. The other variable is the condition of my radiators which haven't been cleaned in 5 years. BTW, I forgot to list a new coolant cap ending in 03 replacing an 01 in my original post.

I didn't push the car hard as most of the 80 miles were on the beltway, but my initial impressions of the Maxspeed exhaust and BMC air filter are good. With the lack of a better description, the car sounds and feels like it should from the factory IMO. It feels and sounds free-flowing. On my next outing I will drive it more at lower speeds with higher revs to get a better idea about drone, or lack thereof, etc.

In the near future I think I will add Pedro's techno Torque2 and later reflash the ECU.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Did you notice an increase in sound from the air intake box after dropping in the BMC?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #7

I have a bmc in a stock box and it is de snorked. Sounds great and not ricey.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
2001 RUF 3800S

Ddb, you don't seem to be as excited as you were before getting the setup...

Boxtaboy, the bmc filter is a great lil mod. Worth the money. Sounds great, you can just hear the intake sucking in more air over the oem filter. And I think I feel a slight power gain.
violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Boxtaboy,

Honestly, with the complete exhaust system being new and the BMC installed at the same time I'm having trouble determining exactly where the noises are coming from. My guess is it is a combination of exhaust note and intake noise. Regardless, it sounds and feels fantastic!

violametallic-S-,

I'm excited! I was just a little cautious this morning worrying about all of the cooling system and pulley changes. The drive went well so I'm ready to better explore the exhaust changes. In fact, the predicted rain hasn't yet materialized so I just got back from another 70 mile drive. I hate to describe it in human terms, but it is like the car has been congested all of these years and now it can breathe freely! Maybe it is just my imagination (and I don't care if it is), but the car definitely feels faster and sounds wonderful!

I still haven't driven the car very hard, enough to make the exhaust and intake scream, but I will on the next outing.

I've now driven 150 miles, does anyone know how long it takes the DME to adapt, the best that it can, to the changes I made?

BTW, any idea what the old OE manifolds and secondary pipes are worth? Has anyone scrapped them for the value of the metals in the cats?