Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2002, 11:08 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Question High Mileage

Hello all,

I am a newbie to this forum with an interest in buying a used Boxster S. I currently own a Mercedes and have driven it over 100K miles without any major problems. I am planning on driving it over 200K if I can. I have seen many Mercedes that have more than 200K miles on them without a new engine or an overhaul.

As I investigate the used Boxster market, I see that some of the cars have 40K + miles on them. I would like to know if boxsters or Porsches in general can be driven to 200K miles.

Thanks

Box Dream

Box Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:41 AM   #2

Smile 200K

Hard to say since many Boxsters are low mileage garage queens. I have read at another board of one with 165K on the odometer, a few just slightly over 100K, one at about 90K. For the most part though you will find many 4 year old Boxsters with under 30-40K miiles. If you get a good one without any problems, I would hope it could go the distance you are talking about. Mine is a '99 with 46K on it. Also a lot of Boxster owners seem to lease and turn them in way before they reach the 4 year or 50K warranty end. Good luck and hope you find some answers.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:39 PM   #3

The Boxster is too new to see 150k-200k. However, there are many older 911's still tracking hard with 150,000 + miles on 'em. Since the motors have similarities (boxer (flat-six) design), I would assume the Boxster should be able to go the distance.

I fall into your style, as my other cars, a 1978 320i BMW has over 340,000 miles (original owner, motor and only 1 clutch/transmission replacement) and a 1991 BMW 525i with 170,000 miles (absolutely perfect/mint condition).
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:27 AM   #4

Talking Miles

Yeah, I fall into that style too. Tend to keep my cars a long time and put lots of miles on them. Last two cars were VW GTIs and both had well over 200,000 miles on them without major problems. Current daily driver is a 2000 Jetta with 91,000 miles on it. I am hoping the Boxster does as well and will go the distance for a while to come. Interesting to read your post about the similarities between the 911 engine and the 986 engine, I was not aware of that, but then I am a relative newbie to the Porsche fold. That is good to know in light of all the reports of failed engines I have read about at the "other' forum. Percentage-wise, it is probably a bit above average for a car, but I would imagine even then the odds are not that great that an engine will fail. Fingers crossed and hoping for many more miles on this '99.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:57 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

I am glad to hear that there is a chance to get over 100K miles on a Boxster. I like to stretch my money on these expensive German cars by putting as much miles on them as possible. Its the only way that I can justify to the wife that a Porsche is a better value than a Mazda Miata.
Box Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
DBO

Talking High Miles

Hi I just joined the board. I too am a high mileage driver. I currently own a 91 MR2 with 175K miles. Just bought a 2002 Boxster and plan on driving it to it's full potential.

DBO is offline   Reply With Quote