Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 10:46 PM   #1

"Chopping" the back plastic window everytime you lower it?

Do you need to (Karate-)chop your back window to make it a nice "natural bend" before you fully lower your top?

I feel I need to do this since I see the plastic under stress with different sharp "folds" if I don't do this. I typically open the top about a foot or 2, then "chop" the window", then proceed with the lowering.

I don't think the manual mentions anything about this.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 PM   #2

I do it. Porsche issued a bulletin several years ago that said to do it - that is why you do not see it in the manual.

Do not try this if you have a glass window.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 02-23-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #3

Don't "hit" it, just press gently

or you risk cracking the plastic anyway.
frogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #4

Mmmm...That would look quite strange to other motorists at the traffic lights. lol What's the point of having a power top?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 AM   #5

I agree, what's the point. I didn't realize when i bought mine, else i would have gone for an 03.
I have one question: is this chop thing a forever thing or did people experience that after a while the plastic window 'chops itself' gently in?
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 AM   #6

Thumbs down

I had a chat with my service manager about this recently. I LOVE the Box but of all the ridiculous requirements for customers, this is the tops.

He actually told me he would not replace a back window on a warranty claim because obviously I did not put the top down CORRECTLY!!!!!

Hmmmm, I have a 60 grand car here that doesn't REALLY have an auto top?

Geez, you think the thing was an old Jaguar!!!!!!!!!!!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #7

the power top doesn't need to chopped when you raise it!

When I had a Miata they sold these tubes
teammiata.com
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I do it. Porsche issued a bulletin several years ago that said to do it - that is why you do not see it in the manual.

Do not try this if you have a glass window.
Very funny Tool Pants. I'm sure an "ax" isn't required.

For those of you who don't "chop" and who have had their Boxsters for some years and lower their tops a lot, have you seen any damage to the plastic window?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Has anyone owned a car with a manual top? I had a BMW 325ic with a manual top, and it was so much work to put it down. 2 people were preferred, and if you only had 1, you had to have some pretty intense stretching abilities.

Spending 2 seconds chopping the top is NOTHING compared to owning a manual top, so THAT is the point of the power top.

That being said, I still agree that they could have done something to prevent this annoyance (well, I guess they did; they went to the glass window!).
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #10

for Summer/Spring I was thinking of fastening a clear plastic rod, like the kind that open and close blinds, to the inside of the window via velcro over the axis where the bend should occur. With perhaps a 'rip cord' strung beneath the windblocker. As the top is lowered you pull on the cord and it forces the even bending of the plastic window with out having to get out of the car.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
for Summer/Spring I was thinking of fastening a clear plastic rod, like the kind that open and close blinds, to the inside of the window via velcro over the axis where the bend should occur. With perhaps a 'rip cord' strung beneath the windblocker. As the top is lowered you pull on the cord and it forces the even bending of the plastic window with out having to get out of the car.
um...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking earlier this morning! Let me know how it goes. I'm buried in work; otherwise I'd be trying it.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #13

why is there a picture of Patrick Swayze?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
um...

LOL macguyver! Great post.

http://www.yellowpimp.org/ferrari.jpg
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking earlier this morning! Let me know how it goes. I'm buried in work; otherwise I'd be trying it.
You were thinking about your convertible top this morning, and you're in Canada??? You must be thinking wishfully; I live 500+ miles south of you, and the only thing I thought about this morning was how to keep all the snow from getting in my car when I put my window down to pay tolls :-)
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
You were thinking about your convertible top this morning, and you're in Canada??? You must be thinking wishfully; I live 500+ miles south of you, and the only thing I thought about this morning was how to keep all the snow from getting in my car when I put my window down to pay tolls :-)
:ah:

I live in a bit of Paradise known as Vancouver. It hit 18C, which is 64F. A light jacket was all that was needed for top down driving. It's been like this every day for like a week!

:dance:
Old 02-25-2005, 05:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
:ah:

I live in a bit of Paradise known as Vancouver. It hit 18C, which is 64F. A light jacket was all that was needed for top down driving. It's been like this every day for like a week!

:dance:
So Canada is the one that donated us all of this cold weather...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #18

I had the same experience where my plastic window cracked a little at the top center. I bought it used, but I assume the original owner didn't do any chopping. The dealer also told me that they wouldn't cover it because the window had not been trained properly to fold. This seems to be a common problem. I was told by the dealer and by an independent shop that, if the chop is done from the outset, after a while the plastic "remembers" how to fold correctly.

I tried training my 4 year old window to fold correctly last summer. It did start doing it, but only when the plastic was warm. Right now it's back to creasing the window in the top center.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #19

I'm thinking about a clear suction cup - the kind they make for hanging junk on the fridge.

Keep it in the oddments compartment (love that name!) with a cord on it. pop it on the plastic before you put the top down, keep the cord taut until passed the bend, peel off the suction cup and return it to the oddments compartment (it's not just fun to say, it's even fun to type). Don't have to get out of the car, just reach over the shoulder.

What do you guys think? If it works, the patent is mine. If it ruins your window, I'll deny all culpability.

Really, Iv'e been wanting to try this for a while - I'm just waitng for good top-down weather here in Maryland.

If anyone in a better clime wants to pioneer it, please let me know if it works . . .

- Pete
doughep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #20

A friend of mine had an '84 Carrera Cabriolet ('83 was the 1st yr. of the Cab.) with a manual convertible top. Immaculate, low-mileage car, with an unmarked top and plastic window.
You wouldn't believe the ordeal he went through every (rare) time he put the top down. Lower part way, "chop" the window, lower it a little bit more, place a clean, white terry cloth towel over the window to prevent the plastic from scratching itself, then lower the top the rest of the way. Then install the top cover. About a 5 minute process of he had help, twice that if he had to run from side to side himself.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote