Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #21

DIY, for me it's part of the fun researching and learning how to care for these cars.

941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #22

basic care

DIY is lots more fun. I do all of the basic care stuff and have lots of fun. It takes me a lot (read LOT) longer than it would a real mechanic, but for me its therapy. Sort of like catching a trout with a fly you've tied yourself ... there is a real satisfaction in looking after the car.
ovul82jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #23

So far I've done all the oil/filter element changes (except the 30k one; I was still under the CPO warranty and decided to have it done at the stealership so it was "officially done".)

Also had the alternator go on me and pulled it/replaced it myself (having a local automotive electronics place do the rebuild).

Did the desnorkel thing, if that counts

Plan on flushing the brake/clutch fluid this summer (if it ever stops raining)---another first time event for me, and checking the pads/rotors. Will probably do the air filter and the cabin filter at the same time.

Am also going to put on one of the LN Engineering spin-on filter adapters in conjunction with the next oil change. (Looks very simple.)

Things more major/difficult I will assess on a case-by-case basis. (Got a shop manual within weeks of getting the car, so I plan to do as much as I can. Between the manual, this forum and a 21 year-old son who's a relatively nubie mechanic but who's done a lot of stuff in a fairly short period of time, and brims with confidence in his mechanical ability, I've got a lot going for me )

Have done all my exterior and interior detailing (with gratifying results), and touched up some small rock chips in the paint (with reasonably satisfactory results).
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #24

I've done more wrench turning on my boxster than any other car I've owned. A long time ago, I heard a guy say:

Men repair cars. You are a man. Therefore...

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote