Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #1

Anyone here strip their Boxster?

Just before I sold my Miata I wanted to strip the thing down to bare essentials just for the hell of it---to see how much more fun it would be to drive, not for autocross or anything.

Given the only real complaint I hear is "I just wish I had a few more horses", I'd like to hear if anyone has tossed out all those useless components like carpets, airbags, passenger seat, sound deadening material, dashboard etc....and noticed improved performance; albeit, louder! Who needs all that stuff anyway

I might consider buying the cheapest one I can find and do this just for the helluvit.

CRCGuy

CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #2

Check out spec boxster; http://www.boxsterspec.com/boxster-spec-builds-f12.html
Old 07-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #3

Boxsterspec.com is definitely the way to go for more info.
i would recommend searching for "jenny craig" and you will see Bill's build.
you have the right idea and I have been stripping mine out slowly but surely and I know I will end up with a BSR pretty soon.
There is over 500lbs of useless stuff in the car, and it makes a MASSIVE difference when they're gone.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986FortyEight
There is over 500lbs of useless stuff in the car, and it makes a MASSIVE difference when they're gone.
That's what I was thinking! weight is a tough quality to visualize at least for me--I think many take it for granted. One could say 500lbs is like reducing weight by 17%. but that doesn't really mean anything to me--at a gut level. So I like to think of weight in terms of bags of cement (because you never forgot what it's like to carry a 60lb sack!)

removing 500 lbs is like removing 8bags of concrete from your trunk Put in those terms, it really come alive for me. I can imagine the difference it must make.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't really care about how things look--to me that's trivial. I care more about the sensation I get when driving (yes, looks can be part of that) but I would forgot the looks quickly when my car is so much faster and lighter when tossing around.

I should try to find a used Boxster that has great mechanicals but maybe some bad paint or ripped seats or something and go from there.

thanks Stroked for the link! that's great.

CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote