Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #21

I guess the issue for me has always been, if you are going to risk your life, well, that is your call. I think it appropriate to care for you loved ones, insurance etc.

Also, if you don't die, I would expect that you would not expect, that I would help pay for your care, that would be your call. If no $$, would you allow them to pull the plug?

Lastly, it is very sad that in many cases, you take someone else with you. Last month, a guy was racing with his pregnant girlfriend in the car and as you can guess.

All three died.

Such is life!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #22

I do not ask anyone for anything I have my own insurance health and life again we can all sit here and dredge up stories about tragedies that we have heard about or been involved with but people die everyday you can't save everybody. This may sound callus but it is the reality of this world.
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #23
PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automon
I do not ask anyone for anything I have my own insurance health and life again we can all sit here and dredge up stories about tragedies that we have heard about or been involved with but people die everyday you can't save everybody. This may sound callus but it is the reality of this world.
Automon
The "reality of this world" is that too many selfish ***** don't have a problem if someone else loses their life or wellbeing so long as they get their adrenaline "fix".

You can take yourself out if you want - just don't take anyone with you.

"Sorry" won't be good enough.

Last edited by Brucelee; 02-28-2005 at 01:34 PM.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #24

As a libertarian, I find this debate interesting.

The challenge with "street racing" is that there is no way to avoid the fact that you are putting other folks and property at risk for your own behavior. That is the essential problem! Once they are dead, you cannot take it back with, I am sorry!

If you want to run Bonneville Salt Flats and sign your own waivers, insurance etc, well then I have no issue with that.

But if your out of control 100 MPH car careens into someone else, well I guess most folks would have an issue with that.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automon
but people die everyday you can't save everybody. This may sound callus but it is the reality of this world.
Automon
Yes, that is true. But do you have to be the one running the risk of making it happen? Are you going to be able to look into the eyes of the family members of the person you just killed and tell them "sorry"? Are you going to be able to live with that for the rest of your life?
PasadenaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #26

I think we're all old enough to understand the risks involved in street racing. However, if we choose to do something, it is our choice, and we accept the risks, however detrimental they may be.

With that said, I never got heavy in the street racing scene, but I did attend. I had a 400hp+ built and turbocharged Honda...how could I not? I never raced at a street race, however I blew some doors off of $100k+ cars at the stoplight from time to time. My Boxster, however, is not nearly as fast, so I barely ever get on it. Actually, my first pseudo-race was last weekend. I ran through Sepulveda canyon (for those of you familiar with the LA area) against an Audi 1.8T and a Dodge SRT-4...and since it is a canyon, handed both of them their asses on a silver platter.

Sometimes you have to do it.

Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote