Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #1

Question Car will not go into 2nd gear?!??!

When i tried to downshift from 3rd gear the car would not let me go into 2nd a few minutes ago. It will let me go in if i put it in 1st gear first then try or if the car is not moving. Could this be the shift cables?!? Any help please.

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #2

Sounds more like a syncro issue to me. You have a 6 speed? They are notorious for 2nd gear issues.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #3

I've also read (on this forum, I believe) that this can be due to a bad motor mount...
Old 07-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

Hmm well i did just put in a 3.6L motor a few months ago.. I've been reading a lot that shift cable and clips come loose, that doesnt seem the culprit with it just being hard to go into 2nd from another gear other than 1st?? Thanks for the inputs.

Yes Adam i do have a 6 speed..
Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #5

Few more questions to...did it do this only once or is it all the time now? Does it grind as well or simply not go into gear? I'm still leaning torward syncro or like SD said possible a failed motor mount. As you suspected, it doesn't sound like a cable issue but it might be worth checking and adjusting to see if that helps before you take it in to a shop.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #6

Drove it again this morning and it still wont go into 2nd without pushing slightly towards 1st then itll go in. Ever since i had the car it sometimes slightly grinded going into 2nd if i didnt slowly shift or fully engage the clutch. If the synco is going bad is that costly to fix??
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Drove it again this morning and it still wont go into 2nd without pushing slightly towards 1st then itll go in. Ever since i had the car it sometimes slightly grinded going into 2nd if i didnt slowly shift or fully engage the clutch. If the synco is going bad is that costly to fix??

That all depends on how badly it has been damaged. You should try and have a shop look at it. If you JUST need synchros and the gears are fine, then no, synchros themselves are not expensive. If you've started to grind the teeth down on 2nd, then that's definitely pricey. The biggest expense is R&R and cracking that thing open to replace what's needed. Transmissions are a labor intensive job. For the most part, the parts are not outrageous. I had this problem - it was a pain to get it resolved but it seems to shift fine now. I don't know much about our motor mounts.
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #8

But it drives fine unless i try to go to 2nd from 3rd and up?? I think if the gears or synchros were bad it would go into 2nd at all. There is no grindage or anything when i try, its just 'blocked" persay. I'm taking to the shop tomorrow so my mechanic can drive it. i'll keep you guys updated, im guessing motor mount went bad due to swapping the 3.6 in?