Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Garage
2000 Ball Joints

Just replaced all the bushings in my car with the Powerflex bushings. I think that they are great but, I still have the clunking coming from the rear. Does anyone sell the ball joints so I can replace them or am I going to have to just buy replacement parts for the suspension?

mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #2

Sounds like worn out rear lower control arms. Search this site and you'll plenty of info on this topic.

Try Vertex (****************************************.com) for remanufactured control arms. I'm planning to get a pair for my '02 S w/67k miles.

Gary
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #3

If the issue is coming from the back then it's definately not ball joints. How do you know the clunk is suspension related? Maybe it's just something loose? I would try to isolate where the noise is coming from the best you can and check under the car closely before you start throwing parts at it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #4

Engine mount?

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #5

Garage
Ball Joints

Could be engine mount I haven't looked at it yet. It is the type of clunk that everyone here has described as the control arms and I did replace the bushings. It is only at slow speeds and is every bump I hit no matter how slow or how small the bump. At higher speeds it only happens when going over larger bumps. When I put the car on my lift and hammer away with a rubber mallet I can not find anything that makes noise. Since the suspension is not loaded that leads me to believe it is the suspension. Today I will beat (lightly) on it some more. The noise comes from both the right and left rear. Two isolated sounds independent of each other. Don't think that is the engine mount.

Last edited by mmontfort; 07-29-2009 at 01:53 AM.
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #6

Sound likes the control arms, if it happen when you go over railroad tracks and driveway aprons I would bet its the arms. I replace both rears with Vertex arms after 48K on my 01 S. The noise when away and the rear of the car feels slightly stiffer when cornering. Their cheaper than OEM and have a two year warranty and a
credit for the core return. See attached

rjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote