Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #21

Can we make it 12.30 pm?

I think we'll have a little clean up to do before we leave on Saturday morning.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #22

Randall,
12:30 it is.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #23

i hear there's a waffle house nearby...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #24

The Awful House of which you speak is one in the same as the establishment we visited at 7 am Saturday the first year... where I ate a small bowl of oatmeal and later that morning ... after two trips up and down the TOD ... regurgitated.

Who would have thought that driving one's own car up and down a hill could make one nauseous!

There's a couple of other crappy restaurants in Robbinsville we might try instead. That place in particular gives me the creeps.

Plus the service sucks.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #25

Food is terrible around the Dragon. Last year, Patrick, Mike and I found two good places. One was in Fontana Village, and the other was that restaurant/liquore store near the Dragon's south enterence. Both good burger & beer type places.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #26

There is that BBQ place we ate at one night... the food was, as they say around there, "smack yo mamma good!"
Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #27

What state is the tail in?? I would like to check it out but November is the time i store my Box as there is a thing called snow up here in Canada...

Is the road really that good???
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #28

if you would like more cars i am interested. i should be able to make it as of now. Will this be the date, i'll check my shop calendar, tommorrow
SStiebers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
What state is the tail in?? I would like to check it out but November is the time i store my Box as there is a thing called snow up here in Canada...

Is the road really that good???
It's 129 in North Carolina, just north of Robbinsville.

And yes, it's really THAT good. I would drive 2 hard days each way from Houston just to run it for a day or two.

318 hairpin turns with 12 degree elevation changes between switchbacks, all inside 11 miles of road:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_faq.html

All I can say is driving it is just about as much fun as a boy can have with his clothes on. :dance:
Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 AM   #30

SStiebers: this is the date, the more the merrier. it's also the date for another group's outing, so this group won't be the only boxster / porsche related group on the dragon that weekend.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #31

Just ran the dragon last week! The wife and I took a little trip to Helen, Ga in the 986S. Gorgeous drive through the Chattahoochie State Park. We had to slow suddenly to let 3 bear cubs crossing the road. Got to Helen, had some schnitzel and beers.

Went by Jake Raby's shop the next morning to say hi. Jake was gone but we met Dean and some of the other guys. Very nice folks, indeed. we headed up the Dragon. What a blast! I did have the back end step out on one of the really tight hairpins turns with the morning dew still on the road. When a fellow driver was messing up my groove, the wife looks at me and says, "Pass him, Honey!" I love her!

Anyways, we were on our way to Asheville and the Avic indash GPS sent us up 2 hours of incredible views and roads. We spent the afternoon touring Biltmore House and Gardens, pretty amazing as well.

We won't be able to make the trip with you guys this time as I will be on the road working but if you can go, GO! You won't be disappointed!
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #32

[QUOTE=Dino]the wife looks at me and says, "Pass him, Honey!" I love her!/QUOTE]

You married well. Congrats!!
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #33

Thanks Randall......maybe I will see you out there next summer. It is a long reach for me but looks like a must. How are the smokeys there
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #34

If by smokeys you mean police officers handing out speeding tickets, there are plenty.

However, it's quite difficult to exceed the speed limit of 35 mph in a boxster on the Dragon and not wreck your car or kill yourself or both in the process.

The switchbacks have sizable elevation changes, rock on one side and sheer drops on the other side, and then there's the oncoming traffic, which may or may not stay on their side of the yellow line.

There stretches of roads in other areas of the United States and Canada that are similar, but not nearly as long. That's what makes the TOD such a destination for bikers and sports car enthusiasts.

The LEOs are out for the crotch rocket riders who die on that road every year. They really are in place to enforce speed laws for safety, not just to make a buck for the two counties/state lines that the TOD crosses.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:44 AM   #35
FTD

Before I make reservations I thought I would check first and see if anyone wants to share a room?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #36
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Before I make reservations I thought I would check first and see if anyone wants to share a room?
Once again I am going to miss the 986Forum TOD run. I heading for Australia!
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Once again I am going to miss the 986Forum TOD run. I heading for Australia!
*shakes fists* grrrr!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #38
jdr

I-40 closed

We just returned from the Smokey's, Asheville and the TAIL last weekend. Fantastic scenery and great drives. Check out ZEE Photo or Killboy.com for photos taken on the TAIL. These guys are out there just about everyday.

NOTE: I-40 is closed at MM3 NC near the Tenn and NC border due to major rock slide. It could be closed for several months.

Our self guided detour included Rt 209 north to Hot Springs, NC then 25/70 to Newport, TN. Another great drive. Rt 107 may be equally exciting.

Its amazing how much fun these roads are with the right car!

Jay & Paula
99 Boxster
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #39

jdr,
Thanks for the heads up on the I-40 rock slide. I had heard about it but I hadn't checked to see if it was in the way for us on the way down. Must recalculate the route now which might end up being longer but looks like more twisty roads are involved.

Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #40

OK folks, I'm already here waiting for you.

I'm just outside of Asheville with the wife and golden retriever. Nope, not in the box, in our 550i.

The roads leading to the cabin we're renting are excellent boxstering roads. Nice and twisty with some good elevation changes and switchbacks. Of course, the wife hollers every time I do anything fun or fast, so I'm really glad we didn't drive the box.

Can't wait to meet and eat with whomever can show up next Saturday in Robbinsville.

I'm now officially wanting to retire in this area of the country. Although I have no current interest in college football, this is a wonderful place to live.