Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 AM   #41

I inherited my grandma's Copper colored 1978 Chevy Malibu Classic. Interesting ride...I guess the important thing is it was reliable and moved me back and forth from school, soccer practice and flying lessons. The best part is it was free!

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:06 AM   #42

Mine was a 1988 Eagle Premier. It had the old split couch-like seats in the front. I put on some chrome accents and a $1000 stereo and felt like a badass. Well, until I wrapped it around a tree that is.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:17 AM   #43

My first car was a 1992 325i Four door BMW which had about 700k on it.
The car was quite well-maintained given its condition, the black interior and the leather smells great.

You could always tell a bimmer with its unique smell. The car meant another chapter for me. it took me to places and ventured into many adventures, not to mention taking my first gf all over.

I bought it and saved hard because i wanted to look good bringing my first love to the formal. it worked out well.

Again, like the first story, I could remember the times when we would just slip back to the back seats and make out like two wild bunnies. She loved making out in cars because it was somthing different.

AS we broke up because she had to go to England, I had many more encounters in the backseat with other woman. heading off into the forest and just getting it off.

APart from these sizzles, the car was great, reliable and it saved my life from an accident once when a car collied with me head on and i escaped unscathed .

My car mechanic told me that if it was a jap car, i would have died straight on the spot.

so after that i changed to a 325i Cabrio and then a z3 2.8 and now a boxster.
hoping eventually to upgrade to the 996 one day !

Keep the stories coming !
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:16 AM   #44

1969 Charger

My first car was a 1969 Charger RT/SE with 318 and cragars. I was 17 and paid about $800 in 1979.

I worked for a year flipping burgers to buy it. Had it for two years until
a sophomore with new license took out the drivers side front to rear at
a school dance. Never really recovered from that

This is a 69 RT/SE, not mine. Mine was green with black top.

Last edited by gRed04; 01-30-2006 at 06:24 AM.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #45

That 325 sedan was a sweet ride. I have a 1999 328I right now and it is still a fine set of wheels!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #46

My first car...

was a 1956 Ford Crown Victoria that I purchased in 1965. You may recall that it had the large chrome "roll bar" across the top. It was a V8 with 2-speed automatic. Cost was $300. I repainted it a metallic maroon (actually "Cordoba"). Interior was black and white tuck-and-roll. Wheels were chromed. It had a good sized back seat but nowhere as big as the backseat in the 1960 Pontiac Ventura coupe that replaced it.

The Pontiac was something else: 400 ci, 3-twos, flowed cast iron headers, T-10 gearbox with Hearst shifter, aluminum flywheel, 4-bolt mains, dual valve springs, Alfin drums, 4,000 lbs - all from the factory. It was geared to turn 3,500 RPM at 70 MPH (it was set up with street slicks). It ran a steady 11 MPG on Chevron Custom Supreme.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #47

My first car was the probably the first "jelly bean"; a 1971 Toyota Celica.
Long throw four speed with the 18R engine. Tan on tan with a thin red/ black stripe on the sides. I usually kept about ten coats of carnuba on it, looked like it was encased in a 1/4" of glass. Drove the hell out of it during the college years, great fun car, really tossable. Did many a powerslide through cohttp:// rners in it.
Mark986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:34 PM   #48

My first car was a 1971 Dodge Challeger R/T with a 340 c.i. engine. I paid $1600 for it in 1972 with 20,000 miles on it. It was metallic blue with black interior. Man it was quick. Wish I still had it. Muscle cars from that era are fetching a pretty penny on Barrett Jackson.
03box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark986
My first car was the probably the first "jelly bean"; a 1971 Toyota Celica.
Long throw four speed with the 18R engine. Tan on tan with a thin red/ black stripe on the sides. I usually kept about ten coats of carnuba on it, looked like it was encased in a 1/4" of glass. Drove the hell out of it during the college years, great fun car, really tossable. Did many a powerslide through cohttp:// rners in it.
Hi,

I had a '77 Celica GT Coupe. I liked it alot, but it always seemed a little 'Tinney' and slightly anemic to me. While it was parked at the Curb overnight, it was totalled by a Chicago PD Cruiser rushing to a Call. I was informed by a Pizza Delivery Guy who saw it and got the Cruiser #. I waited 3 days and never heard a thing from the Cops. I reported it totalled and told the responding Officer what I had been told. He called in and told me I was wrong. I gave him the Cruiser #, Time of accident, and said I had a witness willing to testify. The next day the City Manager called and we agreed on an amount which the City paid the next day - weird huh? It had maybe 25k mi. on it, so I have no longterm experience with it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #50

Mine was an '89 Honda CRX HF hatchback with over 250,000 miles on it. Drove it past 300,000 miles before I sold it (and it stil ran like a champ). 62 HP I4, 0-60 in about 14 seconds no drag car folks. I had a hard time keeping up with the gas trucks, and school busses hauled ass in my opinion at the time. There were TWO good things about this car though. The gas mileage was incredible (30-40), and you could lay the front seats back and turn the whole car into a fair sized bed, as long as you had some padding handy and nothing in the back. Made for some good nights in the park, but... far from comfortable
Old 01-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #51

my first love- bmw z3

I saw my first car, in the James Bond movie, and I dreamed, if I have a chance to buy a car in my life, it will be that BMW Z3. And I try not to cheat on my dreams, and this is how got this piece of engineering art.
My next dream, is probably Z8 and 911.
Porschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #52

1980 trans am, t-tops with a moded pontiac 400 pushin around 400 rwhp. still have it
porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #53

'99 Saturn SC1, Blue on the outside, Grey on the inside (just like my Boxster). 4 Cylinders of Mid-American fun, 0-60: Yes. Bought it brand new at 17, parents didn't help me with one cent because they wanted me to learn how to own a car. I didn't understand that until later, now I thank them. One of the proudest moments of my life was selling it to a single mom/Katrina victim 4 months ago for $1. I still have the dollar. My only regret is I don't have any really good pictures of the car.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecooper
'99 Saturn SC1, Blue on the outside, Grey on the inside (just like my Boxster). 4 Cylinders of Mid-American fun, 0-60: Yes. Bought it brand new at 17, parents didn't help me with one cent because they wanted me to learn how to own a car. I didn't understand that until later, now I thank them. One of the proudest moments of my life was selling it to a single mom/Katrina victim 4 months ago for $1. I still have the dollar. My only regret is I don't have any really good pictures of the car.

Your parents should be proud. Responsibility and compassion, a great combination.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #55

1965 VW beetle (in 1970). Charcoal gray. I put oversized wheels/tires on the rear - it looked pretty cool, I thought at the time anyway. Top speed 72 mph down a steep hill. Spent a lot of fun hours "racing" (scooting?) around town, also took it on woods/trails in red clay and learned about handling in "low friction environments". Great little car, good memories, Ferdinand Porsche design.

Got rear ended, and came out with a 1964 Malibu station wagon, 6 cyl., 2 speed auto. What a dog! Girls would run the other way. Moved up to a used Triumph 6 months later.

40 years later, I still like German, still like boxer engines, and anywhere sort of towards the rear of the car is fine for engine location.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #56

1960 Renault Dauphine with suicide doors and a trunk in the front with a drain plug (portable ice chest) and rear engine (radiator in front).
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #57

Mine was and is my 97 black on black boxster, I got it when I was 17. Its nice but some times I would rather have the van cause its slower and I can take my motorcycle to the track with it
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #58

See if this link works to a page of mine on my first car and such:

http://people2.hsc.edu/faculty-staff/edevlin/edsweb01/boxster.htm

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #59

Hey Ed,

Thanks for bumping this thread. I'd never seen it before.

My first car was a 1965 Mustang Fastback that my Dad bought for me when I was 14 years old. He paid $350.00 for it. We didn't have much money, so he sold his car to get it. He probably couldn't insure them both plus Mom's. He drove it to work during the day and I drove it at night (took the bus to school unless he was off).

In 1984 it had an electrical fire. Since then, I've been dragging it from house to house to house with me, always swearing to restore it as soon as I finish with (insert project here).

Now, I'm incredibly angry with myself because, as most of you know, I just lost my Dad. He never got to see the car restored, and I never told him how much his sacrifices over the years have meant to me.

I'm in the process of planning a ground-up restoration for the car right now. Some of the other cars may have to go in order to finance what I want to do, and to make room, but so be it. It is so much more than an old car.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #60

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
my first car was a 98 camaro ( i got a few more camaros after that one), i did so much to it its not even funny, to the point where it broke
i did my own t-top conversion with a sawzal ( i showed it off at the car shows, no one could believe that it was not original t-top car), nitrous, bigger rear end, corvette wheels, cam...u get the point. ran it on the track like a rat untill the frame twisted. no joke LOL, i even strenghtened the chasis. i guess it didnt like 200 shot of N20 on top of everything else.
it had to be towd off the track couse it wasnt driveable anymore.

i loved the car tho

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote