Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #61

Late 1978 Datsun B210

I was 19 and bought if for $90 in college. It barely ran. Paid 300 to have the engine rebuilt. That helped it run for another few months. I have no clue what happened to it as I abandoned it somewhere on the university parking lot before I joined the army. Funny, I don't even know what color it was. I think it was blue/gray.

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #62

I had a Honda CRX.

Blue and Grey, 2 door, 2 seater, bought in 1988 for $3000 ( used ) with 100k mi.

Great little car, great gas milage, handled great...

Too bad I totaled it my senior year of high school

Next vehicle, GSXR-750 ( college )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #63

1994 Mazda 626

It was very late in my life when I actually purchased my first car. For most of my early driving career, I drove my Dad's 1972 Pontiac LeMans. Great car for a newbie teenage driver. 350ci engine, automatic tranny, bench seats. It was pretty quick and I remember doing stop light races back in Montreal with various other cars, I only remember being smoked once by a late '70s Corvette.
Once I moved to Vancouver, I lived downtown and didn't need a car. Then I moved in with the lady who is now my wife and she had purchased a 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet. We worked together as well, so we only needed 1 car. It was very fun to drive and got me hooked on convertibles. When our company closed the Vancouver office, we got separate jobs and suddenly needed another vehicle and that's when I officially purchased my first car, at 35 years old no less.
It was a brand new hunter green 1994 Mazda 626 Cronos, 4 door sedan. Very practical and what we needed at the time. The car was so solid, I never had any problems with it at all for 11 years.
It was last year when the Volkswagen was getting on in years that we decided to purchase a new "fun" car and that car is my 2002 Boxster S. I love this car and will drive it everyday until the wheels fall off!

Last edited by bringer666; 11-19-2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Adding Signature
bringer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #64

'87 Chevy S-10 Blazer hand-me-down from the family. A little whimpy V6 I drove in college that was nothing but reliable transportation. Only way it's going faster than 80 is with a tailwind. It was a 4x4 but the 4-wheel shifter was stuck in regular 2-wheel the day I got it. The backseat was tiny and had an annoying seat-belt mount sticking up right in the middle, what a mood-killer. Twice in my ownership of it the battery cables lost connection while I'm at speed, and for the life of me I would never remember to use the parking brake when the power brakes failed, so I'd always end up running a curb and eventually sticking my foot out to stop.

Starting on a vehicle like that and having friends with nothing but little sedans, I had very little interest in a sports car. My next vehicle was a '95 Silverado before I moved to California, and I still had no concept of driving something "fun". In fact I was happy in my little world where cars were only transportation and I could spend my time with more important things.. up until a few months ago when I rented a Z4 for a weekend...

Driving a fun car for the first time is almost like robbing a bank, it's the biggest mistake of your life, and every month making a car payment to that new-found interest (all my other vehicles were fully owned from the start), or heaven forbid living without a sports car if you can't afford it, is like a little jail sentence. But each time I get into the Boxster, I start to realize that maybe it's more like the post-robbery police chase. Sure there may be hell to pay at some point, but as long as I still have gas in the tank, I can just zip ever on, and enjoy the freedom while I have it
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg

Last edited by David N.; 11-19-2006 at 11:51 PM.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:11 AM   #65

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
90' Jetta,5spd. It was my dad's old car,redone stereo,racing suspension(sway bars,strut braces,shocks & springs),overhauled brakes. It was fun to drive around in,when it started and your foot was 100% on the floor. It would kill a battery almost instantly,fuel pump whined,worse idling habits the list went on forever. It has the dreaded Digifant management system,which is 100x more problematic then it should be. Consumer Reports Top 10 cars to stay away from of all time(no joke). It's a shame I would have made it a rally car,stripped it of weight,give it some more ponies and I was good to go. Sadly I got fed up with it and searched for my first car to buy,on came the Boxster.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #66
KronixSpeed

my first car, 1996 honda prelude.....driven to hell.

i sold it with 260,000km for $3000, huge windsheild crack, bumper falling off, side skirts scraped with minimal paint left on, air conditioning done, car was lowered 2 1/2 inches, struts done, clutch done(dude who bought the car should of test driven above second gear over 50km he might of figured that the clutch was messed up), on my second engine, rubber was bald, exhaust falling off hanging on one rubber hook....i could probably go on.......
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #67
boggtown

Oh man, I had to get my moms 02 Jeep liberty Renegade (no engine problems). It had a little paint chip in the back bumper, and the roof had a little dent in it when my friend got on top and tried to dance (then i did a donut to try and throw him off, lol). I was pretty lucky, I picked it out new when we got it. I liked it, it was really fun to go drive over stuff in peoples yards, or over parking blocks. The suspension was pretty firm and I liked that, it had a decent amount of power, I vividly remember drifting it around a corner, then loosing control and flying into our neighbors yard. It tore up their yard for like 2 years and not the smallest scratch happened to the Jeep. The only reason I wanted it was so I could drive it for 6 monthes to prove to my mom im responsible and a good driver, so I could get a sports car after that. Then I got the BMW Z3 (never had a problem with it), loved it, then the Boxster, still love it.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #68

my very first car is a 91 (I think) Mercury Sable Station Wagon, Silver w/ Burgundy Interior. I fell in love with it coz' you could lay the back seats all the way down. took it to camping all the time and the best part of it was the third seat, were my two kids will sit on it facing the driver behind us. Lot's of great memories in that car. i own it for like 7 years and then...I start driving 4x4 trucks (94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, tranny blew up, newbie, 97 Suburban Kids Hauler, 83' Bronco "MY TOY" w/ 5 " full suspension lift and 01' Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab, 8ft bed Toy hauler)

Lost my job , sold all of them , bought a 93 Merc Villager , put 235k miles on my green pimp mobile, saved enough money to purchase a house ...now got my 2 toys in garage

Last edited by unklekraker; 11-20-2006 at 08:27 AM.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #69

1980..Honda Accord. It was rust color because it had rust holes through all the quater panels...clutch was bad, brakes were bad...it burnt oil like a %*&^%. Sold it to a junkyard for $35 bucks....no joke.
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #70

Smile

It was a 1970 VW Beetle and very much the worst car I have ever owned. How Ironic that I now drive an ’02 Boxster, its very distant cousin, which is, by far, the best car I’ve ever owned - Hurrah for R & D!
Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!

Last edited by johnsonrj74; 11-20-2006 at 01:19 PM.
johnsonrj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #71

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
1967 Ford Mustang v8 289ci

2bbl carb, very clean car for a 17 year old.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #72

The first car I bought myself (parents bought me my first car when I turned 16) was a 1991 Infiniti Q45 with 100ksomething miles on it. I kept that car until it reached 192k miles. It had a ton of power and the interior was great, but boy was the exterior ugly.

When I turned 16, my parents bought me a 1986 Chevy Cavalier, gray exterior with an all red interior. It was awesome because it was a two door and had a sunroof. Talk about sporty!!! The LARGE 2.0 4 cylinder was a screamer with approximately 15-20 HP and the 60 torque rating was measured in inch-pounds.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #73

First Car

...was a 1959 Simca Aronde. Four door, four on the column, cloth bench seats, pea green. French engineering with British mechanicals...the worst of both worlds. I bought a cheap set of Whitworth sockets at Pep Boys and resorted to an adjustable wrench when the sockets failed to fit. A cloth covered wiring harness and Lucas electrics completed this horror show. I worked all summer to earn enough money to rebuild the engine but came up short and couldn't afford to redo the head. Needless to say the car continued to run like crap and I was broke. To this day I don't have a picture of that car although I can still smell it...like an old horse blanket left out in the rain.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #74

This is about as close a pic as I could find...1953 VW Beetle. 1300cc motor, already had the #3 exhaust valve burned out and so it ran on 3 cylinders. Stock and blueprinted it had 36bhp, so my little gem had less than 27, that's for sure! i lived near Lake Arrowhead, CA and it was notorious for lumbering up the steep grades in 2nd gear at a breakneck speed of 20mph!! I think I still managed to get a speeding ticket in it, or maybe a speeding certificate, it was the late 60's and I was living the dream....it was all a blur.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #75

My first was a 1963 Chevy Corvair Monza! (automatic w/ lever on the dash) Paid $300.00 for it and it was a fun car, Till it burnt to the ground in De Kalb, IL in 1970. Made a career for Ralph Nader!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:20 PM   #76

As a Dane, cars were of no interest to me due to the 180% car tax there (not including 25% sales tax). But I finally got my driver's license two years ago at 25 to be able to drive on vacations. Then I moved to Chicago 1 year ago and bought my first car: an Audi S4 2006. Then six months after that, I bought my Boxster S 2006. And now, just a few weeks ago, I bought my Lamborghini Gallardo 2006.

Yes, it's been one wild year. Yay for American car prices .
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #77

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo huh.... I Envy you, someday i too will have a supercar and we shall have to goto the track for some fun in our supercars.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote