Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #1

Borla to be swapped-out

After some serious consideration I have decided to replace my Borla with another system. I hope I'm not making a mistake. The Borla does perform as advertised, and was a great improvement over the OEM muffler. The key issue was the closed cabin low RPM resonance. I find that here in the NYC area almost all of my driving is highway. Cruising at a constant speed it’s fine. It’s just accelerating from anything below 2800 is the problem. As soon as you hit 2800 RPM it goes away. Yes, I tried altering my driving style, but I find myself consistently falling back into my normal pattern of accelerating in 6th.

Of course, with the top down there’s no issue. It’s sweet sounding and great fun when you run through the gears. The swap-out is scheduled for Wednesday. I’ll try and post a couple of images.

If anyone’s interested in the Borla let me know, it’s in very good condition. I think the Borla would be best suited to a 5 speed Boxster, but will of course work with a 6 speed too. I think, and please correct me if I’m wrong, the 5 speed revs around 3K+ at average highways speeds thereby missing the resonance window, if resonance is an issue for you. I was for my wife

Check out the link for details.

http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2004/Porsche/Boxster/SStainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/140115/

Many thanks
Bob
‘04S

Last edited by BoxsterSbob; 07-23-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: adding an image
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #2

You're making a good decision. I've altered my shift points as well to compensate for the same resonance issues with my Che muffler. However, shifting higher all the time uses more fuel and is hard on the motor over time. I'd rather not sacrifice my motor and stressless driving style around town for the sound of a loud muffler.

I'm going to get a shop to weld bypass pipes on my factory muffler and put it back on the car when I can find the cash to do it. I love the sound of my aftermarket muffler, but the thing gives me banging headaches and my ears ring after I am forced to drive around with the top up for a few hours in town.

Loud and resonance-free just don't go together on our cars for less than six or seven grand.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #3

Loud and resonance-free just don't go together on our cars for less than six or seven grand.

I have a factory muffler with welded bypass pipes similar to the Pedro muffler, coupled with Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes. My car is loud under acceleration, without resonance or drone at cruising speeds. Cost me less than $800, so it can be done.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #4

the dansk sausage muffler has been resonance free and sounds great... the ghl i use to have is another story...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #5

I've read on this forum that the Dansk sausage muffler is just the opposite. Lots of resonance from 2k to 3k rpm.

Now I'm going to have to rethink my strategy.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #6

I have a dansk triple tip exhaust I found on ebay last year sounds great and best of all no resonance

rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote