Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Is it the car or am I paranoid???

I have an 01 S with 30k I recently got a check engine light. I scanned it with my scanner and it appears to be a "02 sensor circuit slow response bank 2 sensor 1" P0153. I deleted it and it hasnt come on for the past two days.

I dont know if its me but I think i noticed it not performing like it used to, some minor hesitiation and what not. Now i dont know if im paranoid and im playing mind games with myself or could it be that hte sensor is actually kaput but the computer wont read it?

Can anyone share some info?

Thanks

violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Fred Demara

Oh boy...

I got a p0143 and 100% the car is hesitating. On the upside for you, it might just be your o2 sensor.

keep us posted/sorry to hear - hope it's minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
I have an 01 S with 30k I recently got a check engine light. I scanned it with my scanner and it appears to be a "02 sensor circuit slow response bank 2 sensor 1" P0153. I deleted it and it hasnt come on for the past two days.

I dont know if its me but I think i noticed it not performing like it used to, some minor hesitiation and what not. Now i dont know if im paranoid and im playing mind games with myself or could it be that hte sensor is actually kaput but the computer wont read it?

Can anyone share some info?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #3

AOS...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #4

had that on my 97 box a few years ago.... cleared the code and never came back but don't remember any hesitation...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #5

I had some codes a few months back, and I had good success getting rid of them by running a bottle of Techron in the gas. (Don't forget to change your oil after a tank or two).

Have you ever changed the spark plugs? '01 is getting up there in years. I just changed the plugs and wires on my '02S and the car runs noticeably better.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #6

When one of my O2 sensors was faulty, the PST tool actually said my MAF was bad. When I replaced my O2 sensor, the MAF readings were perfect.

All this to say that I don't think the diagnostic tools work all that well at completely isolating the faulty parts.

I would agree that you should clear the code and wait for it to come back. If you do need an O2 sensor replaced, do all four. The others will start going out one by one anyway and replacing all four does miracles for your performance and fuel economy when they need to be replaced.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #7

I did have an O2 sensor and later, an EGR sensor that clearly were in the process of "failing." I could tell the car simpy didn't feel right.

Later, the CEL finally flipped and when I took it in, boom. That was the issue.

Replace the sensor and she ran like new.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #8
2001 RUF 3800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
When one of my O2 sensors was faulty, the PST tool actually said my MAF was bad. When I replaced my O2 sensor, the MAF readings were perfect.

All this to say that I don't think the diagnostic tools work all that well at completely isolating the faulty parts.

I would agree that you should clear the code and wait for it to come back. If you do need an O2 sensor replaced, do all four. The others will start going out one by one anyway and replacing all four does miracles for your performance and fuel economy when they need to be replaced.
thanks for your response! I have a aftermarket exhaust and straight pipes so does that mean I only have two sensors (pre cat)?

Also should I be buying the sensors from the dealer or aftermarket ones acceptable?

violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote