Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #1

engine tempurature warning light?

I just purchased my 1997 2.5l boxster about 2 weeks ago. Has been running great. Has 109000km on it (approx. 68000mi). Today while cruising down the highway the temp. warning light started flashing even though the gauge only indicated 180 as it generally always does. What may have caused this? I let it cool for about 15 min. while I referenced the manual and checked the coolant level. Finished my travel of about an hour and a half with no further issues. The car also seems to have an issue of running hotter than normal, close to the 200 range during start stop travelling in town and during idling situations. Any info on what causes this? I just had all the fluids changed including the coolant as well as the plugs and the belt for the 100000km service.
New to the forums so any help or information is greatly appreciated.

troyjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #2

Could be just low on fluid. Check the little window below the oil fill in the trunk and see. The sensor in the tank is very sensitive so you may think that it is OK but the machine might not. Check cold. If so add fluid and bleed as per instructions and the light should go off, but you should be on the lookout as to where it went. Maybe they just didn't bleed the system correctly.Pull dipstick and see the color of the oil. If you have not cleaned the front radiators yet it is a good place to start to stop the high heat. Many things can cause it to run hot and you can just start addressing each one till you find the problem or a clue. Ed

Last edited by cvhs18472; 07-19-2009 at 04:14 AM.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Low coolant or coolant bubble

HELPPP!!!!??? Engine Cooling Problem.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #4

Boxster temp light

I had a similar issue a while back. My temp gauge was flashing. If I cut the car off and restarted it. I knew it was the coolant level. But if it ever it persists as mine did one time, needless to say u shouldn't drive it until the issue is resolved. But my issue ended up being leaves and debris had entered trough the bumper opening and basically covered my radiators. It might just be a good idea to remove the bumper every now and then to clean those radiators.
flatlinez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #5

Thank you for the responses. I have checked my coolant level and it is within the high low marks while cold. I have looked at the rads through the openings on the bumper and they seem clean but I do not know how to remove the bumper, if someone could post a link would be appreciated or I can search myself. Is there any way to check that the cooling fans are working? I have never heard them running and the car seems to get hot while sitting idling at a light or while traveling through town. My thoughts turn towards the cooling fans first, then maybe pump, mind you the temp. is good while highway driving so thinking that is not it, and lastly the thermostat may not be functioning properly. I am not overly familiar with the mechanics on the car yet but I am sure it has a therostat does it not?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #6

It is most likely air trapped in the system from the coolant swap - this car traps air more than most. Pull the black cover for the bleed valve (remove dipstick, oil cap, coolant cap). Under this you will find the bleed valve. Lift the 'D' ring to open the valve and run the car for several miles. This process may need to be repeated.

To check fans, turn on AC - both fans should run automatically. If not, check fuses/relays. If only one fan is working, your ballast resistor is likely shot and need replacing.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #7

Thanks lil, I believe it is air as well. They had to do the rad flush twice due to an air trap the first time and I don't think they fully got it the second time but it is alot better. I had the wife listen for the fans at the duct behind the passenger seat as well as on the passenger side front with the ac on and all seems to be functioning properly. Should the drivers side front fan come on with the ac as well? Acording to what I have found out so far, the passenger side only with the ac and the drivers side when engine is at hotter than normal temp. Could you please validate that for me? I will follow your advise to try to get the rest and let you know of any further development however so far it seems to be running fine. The car has not overheated yet but does run hotter during town driving which is probably normal from what I have read about the therostat. I have also found a good link to removing the bumper and cleaning the rads which I will follow up on at a later date.
Thank You.

Last edited by troyjuly; 07-19-2009 at 04:16 PM.