Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #1

Dealing with dealer advice?

My (new for me) '04 had the wire for the rear window defroster ripped off the window when I bought it and hence it does not work. The dealer is going to fix this. In conversation with the dealer it sounded like they just planned to glue the wire back onto the window. Is this a half assed repair or not? I spoke to a different dealer and he said the only way to properly fix was to install a new rear window. Not sure if that means a whole new top or not but of course I would not mind that. So - my question is should I be happy with a glued on wire or should I be expecting a new rear window put in. This is under warrantee so it is not my dime. Any advice before I see dealer Monday would be appreciated!!!

Petermcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

I am pretty sure you can't replace the window. It has to be a new top with window if they replace anything. If you can get it, go for it. However, I think it is an easy fix to glue it and as long as the contacts are good, it should work fine. I'd be surprised if they give you a new window.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #3

Is this a porsche dealership?, is this a Factory warranty? Unfortunately ripping off the rear defrost isn't covered under factory warranty. It is considered misuse or abuse. With that said if you find a customer friendly service manager, he might be able to mark it up under defect and say the wire was ripped off due to the motion of the top coming down(assuming you have a boxster). Service departments are seperate from sales and they love almost all work they can get. You just need to tell them that if its covered under warranty you will do it. That is the carrot on the stick to help point them in the direction you want . I used to be a new car sales mgr. you need to tell them simply gluing it on isn't acceptable as that is something your 5 year would do to hide his mistake.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-17-2009 at 08:37 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #4

If it's not under warranty, I would:

1) attach wire, hold in place, confirm that the defroster works when the circut is re connected.

2) assuming it does, depending on the connection (never seen one) I would first try to solder it. (carefully since the top is close by) if not...

3)epoxy it, make sure you don't use too much product which could cover the contacts you are attempting to connect.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces

1) attach wire, hold in place, confirm that the defroster works when the circut is re connected.

2) assuming it does, depending on the connection (never seen one) I would first try to solder it. (carefully since the top is close by) if not...

3)epoxy it, make sure you don't use too much product which could cover the contacts you are attempting to connect.

I agree with eightsandaces for the fix, but he stated its under warranty. I am sure epoxy will work. Sodering would be my first choice, but who knows what the yahoos will screw up. If they only put in a new window in, it might not be as water tight or secure as the factory. I think your best bet is to make sure it works after they fix it. Unless your top is in bad shape I wouldn't press for a new top. It could open a new can of worms with fit and finish. (just my 2 cents).

Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces

I agree with eightsandaces for the fix, but he stated its under warranty. I am sure epoxy will work. Sodering would be my first choice, but who knows what the yahoos will screw up. If they only put a new window in, it might not be as water tight or secure as the factory. I think your best bet is to let them fix it and make sure it works after they fix it. Unless your top is in bad shape I wouldn't press for a new top. It could open a new can of worms with fit and finish. (just my 2 cents). remember water is the enemy of the boxster's computer system under the drivers seat. I have heard many horror stories of people forgetting to close their tops and the water fries their system.

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-17-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #7

There is an electrically conductive adhesive which is specifically designed for this repair. I don't know if Porsche has a part number for this type of adhesive, but the Detroit-based carmakers do. This is probably how the dealer plans on fixing this problem.

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #8

It is a porsche dealer and it is under their warrantee. Also it happened on their lot as there was an extra one of those perforated grille things that snap into roll bar kicking around behind the seats and I am sure putting top down with that thing in there caused the wire to pull off. I just never noticed the wire till the day after I got the Boxter home. Top is in good shape so as long as epoxy fix works and looks clean then guess I will be happy.

Last edited by Petermcd; 07-17-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermcd
It is a porsche dealer and it is under their warrantee. Also it happened on their lot as there was an extra one of those perforated grille things that snap into roll bar kicking around behind the seats and I am sure putting top down with that thing in there caused the wire to pull off. I just never noticed the wire till the day after I got the Boxter home. Top is in good shape so as long as epoxy fix works and looks clean then guess I will be happy.

If they will do it, (and it's a huge "if") I would request that they submit to you in writing that any future failure of said connection within an agreed upon timeframe by both parties will be covered, otherwise if it were me at the dealer I just bought it from, I'd push for complete window/top replacement. They already have an "excellence" in business issue if they delivered a car to you with that wire disconnected and a floating grill under one seat, lousy dealer prep at the minimum, after all you didn't just spring for a Kia.. Seems as if used vehicle quality is driven exclusively by whether the buyer is observant enough to notice problems..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 07-17-2009 at 11:14 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #10

I know you say the dealer says it covered under warranty, but you can't always believe them. I forgot if it was the rear wheel bearing or the front bushing repair on my previous Box but the dealer said the repair was covered under my CPO. They gave me the car back, no charge, and I was on my way. A week later they sheepishly contacted me and said Porsche rejected the warranty claim because it was considered a wear / tear item and I owed them for the repair. They only charged me at the warranty rate since it was their mistake, but it still cost me. Might want to be absolutely, positively sure if you go in demanding a new top. Not that this is a wear / tear item, but there could be some debate on how it got disconnected.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 07-17-2009 at 12:03 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #11

Thanks those are pretty good points. I was thinking along the lines of getting a written guarantee on epoxy connection
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
They gave me the car back, no charge, and I was on my way. A week later they sheepishly contacted me and said Porsche rejected the warranty claim because it was considered a wear / tear item and I owed them for the repair.

Being an ex Car guy, I would have told them "I think not". No way I would have paid them after the fact on their mistake when they told me it was covered. There isn't a court in the land that would take the case, if they were stupid enough to sue you. Now if its the only Porsche dealer you have and the price wasnt' that much, then I may consider working out a compromise(like "cost of parts only no labor charge). Trust me, I know, the dealer would never rebate you money if they charged you too much. We sold Porsche, BMW, Jeep, Mitsu, Subaru.... Dealerships are set up to eat things like that.

But do get everything in writing. I mean everything. If it aint in writing, it doesn't exist. Good luck and I hope it comes out in your favor.