Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #1

Unhappy Clutch pedal sticking

I purchased my 2000 Boxster S just under 2yrs ago and noticed it had a fairly stiff clutch when compared to others back then. But just recently during the recent hot spell the clutch pedal suddenly became light but had a light sticking half way up on return. It did return the whole way but with more resistance than when it was previously stiff. When stationary from the half way sticking point it pings quickly back to its resting position and i sometimes have to lift the underside of the pedal with my foot to get it back to it's resting place (this is only needed when the car is stationary). When accelerating hard through the gears and revs it is even more reluctant to come back up. There is no clutch slippage. There are no leaks from the master or slave cylinders etc and full a load of fluid. I have also checked the clutch pedal boost spring and bracket and all look in good working order. I haven't actually taken those bits apart, but I still suspect that it is either the boost spring itself or the bracket adjustment?

The car is coming up to 65k miles and was wondering if anyone on here may know of a fix? or had a similar problem?

Could it even be the clutch diaphragm? Or a whole clutch change?

I would appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks, James.

jamescw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #2

Sounds like a hydrolic issue... When this happened to me, I had a clutch fluid line rupture. Check the master cylinder reservoir in the front boot and see if the fluid level is normal. If so, it may be someting else... If it is low, then I would check the underside for any moisture and around the carpet under the pedals. If thats the case, get to the stealership and have it checked.

Best of luck,
jd
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #3

Many thanks AUDIOGUY,

The fluid level is normal and there are no leaks in the areas you would expect, so all is fine there. Going to the stealership this saturday!

I have noticed that there is a squeaking noise from the rear of the car when the clutch is pressed and released tho.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 AM   #4

Throw out bearing could be sticking... but the heavy clutch - then really light and not always returning is classic pressure plate going (broken spring on the pressure plate). If this is the case your clutch will start slipping soon, and if (when) it lets go the rest of the way you will be stuck without drive. Get it looked at, probably its time for a new clutch.

Marc

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #5

Many thanks for your reply Marc,

I have been trying to eliminate (as you would) everything else before i pay up for a whole clutch kit change.

Would you say 65K (miles) is low mileage for a new clutch?

Some people say it maybe the master of slave cylinder, but would it have this effect? Do they have springs themselves?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #6

My pressure plate wore out around the same milage... the clutch itself had 90% plus wear left, but the heat and age gets to the springs and they fail.

The heavy clutch is caused by the springs getting "stiffer" as they age, and eventually they break as they aren't flexible anymore.

It could be something else, but the symptoms are classic pressure plate failure. Get this looked at asap because a slipping clutch (Which it will start doing if it is a pressure plate) will overheat your flywheel, and then you will be replacing that as well.

www.dexterautosport.com

Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #7

Cheers Marc,

I have a feeling you may be right, it is booked in with the dealership this Saturday so i will let you know the out come when i get back from holiday. Don't want to be paying for a new flywheel as well!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #8

Bleed the slave cyclinder and if if works okay for a while but sticking returns. Then replace Slave Cyclinder...
catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw8
Cheers Marc,

I have a feeling you may be right, it is booked in with the dealership this Saturday so i will let you know the out come when i get back from holiday. Don't want to be paying for a new flywheel as well!
Find a good independent shop in your area... you will save a lot compared to the dealer.

www.dexterautosport.com