Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #21

I've had a Valentine One for years. It's a good unit, especially nice to have around for mountain passes where the cops often are driving towards you with the vehicle-mounted radar. You often get *minutes* of warning before they pass you. Having the arrows to locate the "threat" is very nice also, can't imagine doing without that feature now.

I don't use it much around home though, this area is almost 100% laser now, and I just don't speed that much in my Mazda. Now that I have the Boxster, I may need to rethink.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #22

State Laws Don't Always Make Sense

[QUOTE=Viper5]Chef,

"I'm sure a government can do whatever they want, such as outlaw possession of marijuana, however to my knowledge there is no state which outlaws the purchase and ownership of a radar detector in the US."

Purchase and possession of a radar detector in Virginia is not illegal. It's the use of one that's illegal. Don't expect it to make sense. Here in Ohio it is legal to buy, sell, or possess fireworks of all sorts. But, it's illegal to set them off. When you buy them you fill out a form telling them where (outside of Ohio of course) you intend to use them. Gotta love those state legislators.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #23

There have been tests shown that radar detectors running simulatneously perform worse than if they were stand alonee. For this reason, I would recommend just getting a stand alone detector and leaving your k40 unit off. Not sure if you can leave the laser jammer on or not while keeping radar feature, but I don't believe that the jammers interfere (just the radars). So if you can turn off K40 radar and leave on jammer (even though i wouldn't rely on the jammer), then that would probably be your better option. If not, then just get standalone radar and jammer.

I've never had experience with Bel Sti Driver, however looking at test results shows that it is a very good radar detector. Not only is it currently undetectable by all means (except visual of course), but it performs very well to boot. For a Virginia user, either this or a permanently mounted 9500ci (also undetectable) would be the best choice.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote