Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Exclamation Need Owners Advice and Info!

How much does it cost to keep these things running good? Is it like a benz, with overpriced everything? Or are they not too bad? The insurence does not seem to be bad but what does a standard 60,000 mile tune-up run for? All advice is welcome and needed. Please help me out.

roadracer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:31 AM   #2
JT
Administrator and Founder

For the most part its pretty expensive which is why I try to buy a new one with the 4 year 50k mile warranty. Take for instance an oil change. Here at the Portland Oregon deasler you are looking at a couple of hundred dollars for a basic oil change and some minor check outs. But, if you have a reliable vehicle you should be ok. I have also heard a lot about oil leaks from the main shaft where the engine is replaced. I am sure that can be expensive too if not under warranty
Old 11-20-2002, 11:11 AM   #3

My '01 costs have been pretty low: My 1st year oil service/checkup, including an all wheel alignment and tire balancing, was free at my dealer (I guess they like me!).

Porsche recommeds 1 yearly service, unless you drive moucho kilos. Typical services, from various owners, range from $300 - 500. Not bad, when you consider, yearly service (more then 1/year is typical) on my BMW is in the same price range.

The major expense you can expect is tires: You can drop $1200 - 1500 for a set with installation and alignment. Depending upon your driving, tires may go as quickly as 12,000 miles; but, hopefully, one can get 18,000! Alternatively, purchase a bit lower performance tire and get a bit more miles (and a few less $$).

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote