Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #1

Newby tire question

At lunch today I ran over a piece of metal (yikes) that stuck in my tire (double yikes). I've never had to buy tires, and I know this must be on the site somewhere, but my search did not quickly turn it up - soooo, what's the best source for tires here in the Houston area? I live in Sugar Land.

Thanks for the help.

Ed

Sugarlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

are you looking to tire recommendations or a place/vendor from which to buy tires in you local area?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #3

I'm in Houston too.

Best places are any Discount Tire or Tire Rack (bought online).

Just don't let DT talk you into buying crap tires they recommend that you've never heard of.

The Sumitomo HTRZ III's aren't bad tires and are priced right. I run Michelin PS2's and they're very expensive.

If your car doesn't have relatively new rubber on it, you should replace the other side's tire as well with the same brand and model to keep the tread the same. Our cars are downright dangerous in the rain with non-matching tread wear or non-matching treat patterns.

Expect a wait for whatever tires you buy. DT doesn't usually keep our widths in stock nor do they keep the brands most Pcar owners want.

One more thing... don't try to patch that tire. The patch heats up at one temp while the rest of the tire heats up at a different temp and you could have a blowout when driving at higher speeds or under hard cornering.

Actually two more things... when you get your tires, be sure you are at a DT that has a Hunter 9700 series balancing machine and they can do "road force balancing" for you. This will make sure they put the heaviest part of the rubber on the lightest part of the rim and balance it better than the average balancing machine can provide. Most DT's have them but a few don't so call around.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-09-2009 at 10:54 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #4

Welcome Sugarlander!

I know Tire Rack has a recommended installer program that you can even have your tire (s) shipped to. Maybe Discount also.

Tire Rack also lists Porsche approvals (N0, N1, etc).

My dealer sells at Tire Rack prices so there is no shipping charge, but I do get hit for sales tax.

By the way, install new valves with the tire (s).
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #5

Another Vote For Tirerack

Tirerack not only carries every tire imaginable, but also has loads of information and customer reviews. I ordered my tires by phone and they were here in less than 24 hours via UPS. And, as already said, they have a list of approved installers with reviews of those as well.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #6

Hi, I recently changed-out my worn Yokohama AVS sport's for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Rib-N1's. I find the Michelin's to be a vast improvement over the Yokohama's in terms of both noise and tracking. But, as RandallNeighbour stated above Michelin's seem to be a bit on the pricey side.

Here's the Tirerack link for more details.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Rib

Good luck

04S
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
are you looking to tire recommendations or a place/vendor from which to buy tires in you local area?
I'm looking for a source/vendor for tires. One that knows what they are doing with Porsche Boxster and has reasonable prices (unlike a Porsche dealer). If someone has a recommendation for a non-original equipment brand of tire I would certainly consider it.

Thanks,
Ed
Sugarlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #8

45,000 mile warranty

I was in Sam's club and while waiting for wifey stopped by the tire center and asked if they had anything that fit the boxster they said yes - we have one with a 45,000 mile warranty. Is this for real? Will they really back this? My Pireli p-zeroes are slicks after 20K.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote