Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Selling my Boxster? Help please!

Hi folks new poster and hoping you can help.

I have an 04 plate Boxster, seal grey with 18inch carrera wheels and hard top.
Now, how do I know if it is a 986 or 987 model??? I'm not that well up on cars and was'nt sure when someone asked ie insurance is it 2001-2004 or 2004 on....registerd May 2004.

Also, not sure how much to sell it for it has ..CDR-23 audio system, Porsche sound pack and amplifier, wind deflector, cruise control, on board computer, top tinted window, park assist, dimming mirrors, automatic air con etc...
Help most appreciated! Oh and if anyone knows anyone that would want to buy one it'll be on autotrader very shortly.

Cheers

Craigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #2

Easy way to tell

Is to look at the air intakes on the side. The 1997-2004 986 models had an almost triangular shaped air intake, the '05-'09 987 models have more of a vertical gash.

Your car is very well optioned. But no idea what such cars go for in your area of the world.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/sellingaboxster
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #3

You also need to determine if it is an S or a normal. Usually an S has S on rear trunk.
And a 6-speed (or Tip trans) with a third centrally mounted radiator and red calipers.

The best way to valuate your car is to monitor what they are selling for in your area by watching prices on Autotrader and/or eBay for a while. Also check dealer and used car advertised prices. They will go for less than advertised normally.

Kelly Blue Book and NADA price guides help here.

My guideline for selling is about midpoint between wholesale and dealer retail.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

And if "Glasgow" means the UK, then you might want to also ask this on in the Market Place area on www.BoXa.net - it's a UK-based Boxster Forum.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #5

Go to ebaymotors (link at bottom), click completed listings(blue link in middle of page under ebay's search bar) you have to log in. I included 2003-05 to give you a broader range. I only saw 3 sold(green). This will tell you what they actually sold for, not what the currently listers are dreaming for. These prices are usually extremely low. It's all in the marketing, if your not good at it, then look at some of the successful adds and plagarize them. Pictures sell on ebay(seats,every angle imaginable, no less than 10 pics).

Actually if your in a big city or next to one, I would use their newspaper. It should cost around $50 but the results are huge. Use kbb.com and nada.com to get your prices. And always add OBO (or best offer). Don't say anything negative in the paper, but be honest with them if they call.

I was a new car sales mgr in NW OHIOs largest dealer, Mits,jeep,porsche,bmw,.... So I do have some experience. I find craigs list to be garbage and full of scammers. Don't meet people at your house(ever), do it somewhere well populated. Across from a police station is best. There are scam artist scouring the net and when they see porsche the are like "jackpot". They want to case your place and see what else they can thieve. No over seas sales either. I usually don't drop price until they have seen the car. When asked about price, I usually say "I do have some room to work but you haven't even seen the car yet", or if they are persistant aske them " Well what were you thinking". Let them make the offer. If they make an offer you are happy with then its a sell.

It is best to take a friend with you(seperate car) when someone wants to see it. I am not paranoid, I have just heard the horror stories. It is usually an easy hassle free process, Oh watch out for counterfiet bills.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Cars-Trucks_?Make=Porsche&Model=Boxster&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_flso=0&_mqf=0&_qfkw=1&_sacat=6001&_sop=7&_trksid=p4506.c0.m273&_myi=2003-05&_fpos=43078&_lsbx=0&_fspt=0

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-09-2009 at 08:44 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #6

Given all the turmoil in the economy I would say a car like that should not sell for more than about $2000. Since I'm currently in Basel Switzerland, why don't you send me a private message with your address and I'll book an Easyjet flight from Zurich to Glasgow UK with cash in hand and drive it back this weekend!!!

Or was that Glasgow, Montana???

Last edited by CRCGuy; 07-09-2009 at 09:19 AM.
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote