Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

doors won't lock

well, i've done some searching and haven't had any luck finding any answers to my problem. i have a 99 boxster and can't lock it. the switch on the dash will lock it, but when i insert the key in the door and turn it nothing happens. my keyless entry does not work either(hasn't since i've owned the car) so i can't lock it that way either. I'm assuming when you turn the key it operates some sort of switch inside the door. i'm guessing this switch has gone bad, but i can not find a part number for it. does anyone know if this might be the problem? if so where could i get this online? i'm trying to avoid going to the dealership, it is over 3 hours away and i am currently unemployed so money is tight. any help would be great. thanks guys.

sullivan_pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan_pbr
well, i've done some searching and haven't had any luck finding any answers to my problem. i have a 99 boxster and can't lock it. the switch on the dash will lock it, but when i insert the key in the door and turn it nothing happens. my keyless entry does not work either(hasn't since i've owned the car) so i can't lock it that way either. I'm assuming when you turn the key it operates some sort of switch inside the door. i'm guessing this switch has gone bad, but i can not find a part number for it. does anyone know if this might be the problem? if so where could i get this online? i'm trying to avoid going to the dealership, it is over 3 hours away and i am currently unemployed so money is tight. any help would be great. thanks guys.
Sounds like the guts of the door lock "failed" It cost me $800 at the dealer.
Good Luck
Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. i hope i can locate the part and replace it myself. 800 would be hard on the pocketbook right now lol.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #4

Start here for the manuals: http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

And join: http://www.renntech.org/

There is a bunch of info in that forum.

My remote key has never worked. The dealer cannot program the car to the remote because I don't have the tag that gives all the codes. And I quit locking the car anyways... just don't leave anything in it.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #5

I don't even know what the point of the button inside is for. All it will do is effectively lock yourself in the car And then the led comes on which I don't know why either.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #6

doors not locking

My 98 was doing almost the same thing for the last year the doors would not lock most of the time then quit working all together ,horn would beep twice like it was locking but locks did not lock , also the dash switch or the key did not lock it ,then I went to my local porsche dealer with it ,here it was the theft control unit module $409.96 ,remote for key $175 and key blade $125 plus $218 labor total $814
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #7

thanks a lot guys, i'm starting by replacing the door lock mechanism. i found one used for cheap, hopefully it will fix my problem.