Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #1

Looking to buy...

Always liked the boxster, finally in a position to afford one. Have been reading everything on the flat 6 and LN engineering sites and here about the IMS failures/D chunk/RMS...
Any particular model years/engine sizes the IMS in particular occur least on?

Have been looking in the 2000-2002 S range. Ideas/comments welcome.
Thanks

mdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #2

Basically, any M96 engine with the intermediate shaft can suffer a failure...........
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

It is my understanding that any Boxster, especially any 986, can die of IMS failure, although I've seen a number of vague claims that it happens more with "earlier" Boxsters.

My plan is to hope for the best, save for the worst (in case it happens after my warranty expires in another 18 months), and remember that the worry is far outweighed by the FUN.

I'd hold out for an '03 instead of an '02 so you get a glass window instead of plastic.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
I'd hold out for an '03 instead of an '02 so you get a glass window instead of plastic.
agreed! if there were one thing i would want to change on my box would be the window ( in fact plan to get a gahh sometime this year ).

at first i thought "eh, so i have to 'check' the plastic when i put the top down. big deal. well it is. get in, open the top, stop. get out, check the window, do the boxster chop, get in, push the button, look at the plastic, get back out, check everything, move it around, get back in, finish pushing the button... it is worth it not to have the plastic just for that!
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the info guys.
So no engine (2.5, 2.7, 3.2) appears to be any better off than others IMS wise?
Yes, glass window would be nice to have, but it's not a make or break thing for me. Definitly not willing to pay the extra few grand just to have 1 model year newer when I could get an entire new top for 1000 from gahh.
thanks again.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson
Thanks for the info guys.
So no engine (2.5, 2.7, 3.2) appears to be any better off than others IMS wise?
Yes, glass window would be nice to have, but it's not a make or break thing for me. Definitly not willing to pay the extra few grand just to have 1 model year newer when I could get an entire new top for 1000 from gahh.
thanks again.

People have noticed that the double row IMS bearing cars may have a lower failure rate then the single row, not that they never fail, but they might fail at a lower rate.

Those would be the '97, '98, and some '99's from what I recall.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #7

Garage
I was under the impression that Tip cars have lower failure rates. Is this correct. Can someone confirm or deny this?
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo80
I was under the impression that Tip cars have lower failure rates. Is this correct. Can someone confirm or deny this?
I was under that assumption also. The information was from a dealership mechanic who said he saw very few Tips come in with IMS failure. But then he said he saw very few standars come in. From reading all the posts on many different websites it seems that the reason you here so much about it is because it is so catastropic and it P**ses the owners off so much that they loudly complained. I personally have never started a thread on any site saying that my IMS was OK. There are many Boxsters out there as everyday drivers who have approched and exceeded 100K with more every day. If it was as bad as everyone makes it out to be there would be none let on the road. JMHO. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #9

I have also read this from multiple sources. Believe the theory is less driveline shock with the tip compared to a manual which makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo80
Old 07-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #10

There is no credible evidence that one year has a lower rate of IMS failues compared to other years. The overwhelming majority of Boxsters do not fail and their owners enjoy the cars for many years and miles, if properly cared for.

Having purchased a GAHH top, I strongly advise you purchase a car with a glass top or get a GAHH. I had some water leakage from the plastic window. The glass window also has the option of a rear defroster, which I used more than I thought I would.

You can get a great deal on cars today. Shop around and look for the right car for you. Bid low. You have nothing to loose.

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote