Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 120
What color Boxster is the fastest?

.... to SELL that is!

I'm looking to buy soon and have always felt a proper sports car should be RED!

I've always loved how a red car looks either when driving or just walking up to it from a parking lot--also seem to be more visible to soccer moms driving a Ford Excursion whilst on the cell phone. I find red to be the most rewarding to wax--something I enjoy doing as "therapy". Maybe black is up there too. But silver and white just don't seem to have that wow factor when polished/waxed well.

But I don't see so many red ones on the street or for sale on Ebay. Seems black and silver dominate. and I've never seen a green one.

if you were going to purchase or lease a box with say a 50% chance of trading up in 3years to newer model, which color do you think is easiest to sell if any? I will likely still get red of course because I enjoy it, but would love to hear opinions on whether they move as well in the market.

CRCGuy

CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Porsche's guards red is a great color!

In the current economy, PRICE rules, not color. Who knows what that will be like in 3 years from now.

You see a lot of black and silver because that is what the dealership order. It's like, "what came first, the chicken or the egg".

I think these are the most important rules well selling a used Porsche:

1) History, condition and maintenance records
2) Options
3) Mileage
4) Price
5) Color
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Registered User
 
gregdacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Newport, KY
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Porsche's guards red is a great color!

In the current economy, PRICE rules, not color. Who knows what that will be like in 3 years from now.

You see a lot of black and silver because that is what the dealership order. It's like, "what came first, the chicken or the egg".

I think these are the most important rules well selling a used Porsche:

1) History, condition and maintenance records
2) Options
3) Mileage
4) Price
5) Color
I agree but I would switch price and options.

__________________
Greg
2002 Triple Black, Desnorkled, Bumper Plugs, LN IMSB Upgrade
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCGuy
.... to SELL that is!
i would say the easiest colors, simply because they would appeal to more people would be black or silver. the brighter colors would have a more limited appeal, like green, yellow, pink...

when i was looking, my choice in order was:
- black
- silver
- dark blue
- red
- yellow
- everything else
- green

of course, as someone else said black and silver are the more common, and for good reason. they probably sit less than the other colors so they're a safer color for a dealer to sell in a reasonable time.

color alone though will not sell it. maintenance records i would say are the most important.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,369
In 50+ years of driving

I've been hit more often by and in a red car than any other. Maybe the type of driver that drives one, maybe they assume they can be seen so easily, maybe because their brake lights don't contrast well with the body and are harder to pick up.

Most popular is Arctic Silver. Least popular is green. Difference in value at sale - 20%.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I forgot to mention mods vs. stock.

Poorly done mods can really kill a car's resale value. Even well done mods can only appeal to a very limited market. And, the money spent on mods is rarely ever recouped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 246
Dealers call red "Resale Red" for a reason. However it seems that Silver is the most popular Boxster color. My salesman told me that the colors they sell the most are Blacks, Greys and Silver.

However, I would always buy a color that I liked, never because of its potentail resale value. If you buy a car to sell it, why buy in the first place. It's like putting one of those ugly black bras on your car. You get the ugly just so the next guy gets a clean car. Silly IMHO

And, BTW, Yellow is the fastest Porsche color - wny do you think it's named Speed Yellow?
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Poorly done mods can really kill a car's resale value.
you mean adding this spoiler won't help my resell value?

tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 1,359
I don't think it's the color..i think this will make it faster:

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Registered User
 
schnellman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 868
I work for the Air Force and have access to the coating they use on the stealth fighter. I painted it on my Boxster and found it not only goes faster, but is invisible to radar. The only problem is when I park it in a large lot it's hard to find.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
I work for the Air Force and have access to the coating they use on the stealth fighter. I painted it on my Boxster and found it not only goes faster, but is invisible to radar. The only problem is when I park it in a large lot it's hard to find.

Yeh but it's worth it since you can scream through the radar speed traps
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
you mean adding this spoiler won't help my resell value?

I think in this example, that "spoiler" is an improvement to the car!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 287
The only thing that spoiled

was my view.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 828
The fastest color is the one that passes by so fast you say, what color was that?

Guards red is very pretty and a nice color to wax but it's a nightmare on the highway, I would assume speed yellow lives up to it's name in ability to attract Johnny Law as well.


Last edited by eightsandaces; 06-30-2009 at 04:34 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page