Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #1

Please Help: I need a new rear bumper

UPDATE:
Yahoo!!! I just won an artic silver Boxster rear bumper on ebay for $152!! :dance:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150353677024&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I already took the old one off. It was a breeze(4 screws on bottom, 3 in middle top under spoiler(had to remove the spoiler and they used plastic xmas tree screws,which broke off. and hex screw under each wheel well. Took about 15 minutes. Oh I had to remove the bumper black pads(2 allen screws).

Hopefully he will ship it as the ad is confusing. but even if I have to get it its only 650 miles away and that would complete my trip from the west coast to the east coast. this just made my $2000 oops cost less than $400.

OLD POST BELOW

Well Ive already OOPS'd my new/used Boxster. I had to park my mountaineer in the turnaround to make room for my baby in the garage. I am sure you see where this is going.... Full of happiness and joy, I jumped in my Box and proceeded to back out. Well folks, there was no more joy in "mudville as casey just backed out" his Box into his Mountaineer. No damage to the mountaineer(fricking tank)except the liscense bracket. 2400 miles from Cali to bring this puppy home without a stone chip and now this.

Here is the scoop: I put 6" tear in the bumper and pushed it in. Luckily I missed the light assembly and didn't damage the Rear bumber Reinforcement assembly, I just hit the soft spot.

I live between Columbus and Dayton Ohio. It's a 2001 "s" arctic silver. My deductible is $1000 (yeah I know) I thought about a rear bra butt It would look like crap and I would know its still there.

Ive priced oem primered bumpers around $500. original porsche $700 is. Do you think $1000 is too optimistic for an oem painted and put on?

Questions:
1.) How much should I expect to pay for a new bumper put on?
2.) Can I do this my self? Ive looked at the assembly diagrams not too complex
3.) Is it much cheaper to go reputable body shop over a authorized porsche?
4.) How about after market? I am keeping this so I don't mind mods, or aftermarket(as long as its not tacky.

Maybe I could put a big bumper sticker over it Like obama for change

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 06-28-2009 at 04:37 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #2

Since most accidents that total a Porsche

involve the front end or side, rear parts are sometimes available from the wrecking yards. And since AS is the most popular color...you have a chance of picking up one from that source. Besides that, there are places that specialize in repairing bumpers...since everyone went away from steel bumpers there is a lot of business for them. Check with the local high end cars body shop.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/listsofsources
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
involve the front end or side, rear parts are sometimes available from the wrecking yards. And since AS is the most popular color...you have a chance of picking up one from that source. Besides that, there are places that specialize in repairing bumpers...since everyone went away from steel bumpers there is a lot of business for them. Check with the local high end cars body shop.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/listsofsources
I found one used on ebay for $150 painted but its in SC. That would negate any savings. Unfortunately in my part of ohio(bible belt) everythings closed on sunday. I am going to a couple reputable body shops tomorrow to get an estimate. Bad thing is any estimates over $500 generally are reported to carfax. I will check to see if they have the software to search junk yards. I would drive 200 miles as the paint would surely match better.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #4

So much for the honeymoon...Look around your area and talk to some people in the know (the Toy Store in Columbus likely knows of some friendly body shop guys) and my guess is you'll come up with some names. I pulled a Homer move and backed my GTO into an unseen light pole concrete base (there was no light pole thus didn't see it), I found a rear cover / wrap already painted my color ~100 miles away for $85, got lucky. Post up a Wanted to Buy ad here, rennspeed, craigslist etc. Run a search on Craigslist for Columbus, Cincy, Dayton, Cleveland, etc, you may get lucky. Good Luck.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #5

either way you go, I would pull/install the skin yourself. If yours is salvageable, you'll save much $ by pulling it yourself. Plus you can then just give a bodyshop the paint code to match - no vin # needed just the code

Aside from places coreseller recommended, try a classified ad w/ the EBR PCA, as well as Northern OH and might even give Stoddard up in Cleveland a call. They may be able to hook you up.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your mishap

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-28-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #6

I just found one on ebay for $150 from a 98 boxster artic silver with only a small scratch. But its in Beaufort, NC. That would make my coast to coast, except i would have to take my mountaineer(gas frickin hog)

willl a 98 boxster fit my 2001 "s" it looks identical in every way to the oem ones.

Last edited by mptoledo; 06-28-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #7

Yahoo!!! I just won an artic silver Boxster rear bumper on ebay for $152!! :dance:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150353677024&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I already took the old one off. It was a breeze(4 screws on bottom, 3 in middle top under spoiler(had to remove the spoiler and they used plastic xmas tree screws,which broke off. and hex screw under each wheel well. Took about 15 minutes. Oh I had to remove the bumper black pads(2 allen screws).

Hopefully he will ship it as the ad is confusing. but even if I have to get it its only 650 miles away and that would complete my trip from the west coast to the east coast. this just made my $2000 oops cost less than $400.

Last edited by mptoledo; 06-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #8

You may want to consider Greyhound shipping (yep, the bus company). Also, you could complete your coast to coast in the Boxster and switch over the bumper there. Just an idea. Either way, you scored a heckuva solution at a heckuva price, now for the logistics.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
You may want to consider Greyhound shipping (yep, the bus company). Also, you could complete your coast to coast in the Boxster and switch over the bumper there. Just an idea. Either way, you scored a heckuva solution at a heckuva price, now for the logistics.
Never heard of greyhound shipping anything but sweaty people. But its worth a look. I finally got an email from him and he is checking into shipping. I told him us post off. doesn't ship pkgs that big. I actually thought about doing a swap out there. But would much rather having it shipped right now.

A Cali company quoted me(online) $90 to ship it to dayton ohio from Cali for an oem bumper. Thats 2400 miles away, hes on 680 away. so I figure same price or cheaper. Any ways I am getting away with my OOPS for around $250!! Means I can still get a killer speaker/stereo for my Box.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #10

Here you go:

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller

Wow, Grey was half the price. I sent him the info, but he is like 20 to 30 miles away so i don't know if he will go for it. Thanks a lot for the help.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #12

I'm a couple of miles west of Springfield. If you want a hand putting on the new bumper, let me know.
ps Check your PM file.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
I'm a couple of miles west of Springfield. If you want a hand putting on the new bumper, let me know.
ps Check your PM file.
Hey, I appreciate the offer If I do get overwhelmed I will drop you a line , but getting it off was easier than changing my mower blades. litterally 7 or eight screws. The hardest thing was getting the rear spoiler off to get to the 3 philips screws unerneath. The only reason I call it hard was it had those damn plastic expanding bolt things. Of course the broke off. I hope autozone replacements. Why the hell do they use Philips, star, and hex, Ihave no idea.

If you have one of those flexible drill bit holder thingys, it is definately a must under the wheel wells.

I just hope the new one isn't all scratched up. the pics looked fine. I guess I can always get it painted.