Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #1

BANG! and coast to a stop

Friday I was working late and drove to the store for a snack. On the way back I was half way through a left turn when there was a loud pop / bang sound from behind me. There must have been a physical shudder too as my first thought was of hitting something and a rear tire blew. The car behaved very badly like it was riding on a rim, but then I realized the engine revved without any power going to the wheels. It coasted about 50 feet and I pulled into a funeral home parking lot a quarter mile from the office.

The engine idles and revs fine. No idiot lights illuminated. With the car in gear I can let the clutch out and nothing happens: no bite, no change in rpm, and no stall. My boss passed and stopped to help push it out of the way (a funeral was letting out at the time) and while we pushed the car an intermittent popping sound came from the right rear. The little flap on the underside panel is now ripped and hanging down on that same side.

That's all I can say at this point. I had it towed to RUF as do all the service and know my car well. They should be able to tell me more in a few days.

Vital stats: 2003 2.7L with approximately 87500 miles

Old 06-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
Log

bang

hope its nothing major
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
bmussatti

Clutch cable came off?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #4

I spoke briefly with Hans while dropping off a key this morning. He had already looked under the car and suspects the axle CV joint broke but they won't know for certain until the car is on a lift. Probably Monday before I know more.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #5

Had that axle ever been removed from the car before? First, this is the first time I've heard of a CV going out on a boxster. Second, if the CV did break, the axle wouldn't separate from the hub or gearbox and damage the undertray, although you would go into "walk home mode". There is a torque spec for the CV bolts, and I back that up with schnorr washers and blue loctite. Interesting that it happened in front of a mortuary.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #6

A torn CV boot was replaced about 8 months / 9k miles ago. When we talked this morning I still had the key so he could only see underneath by laying on the ground. Plus there is always a possibility that I misunderstood. I'll follow up with the diagnosis when it comes in.

Last edited by timothy; 06-27-2009 at 10:39 AM.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

The bolts mounting the cv joints to the transmission either fell out or failed. The person that replaced the cv boots probably used the same bolts when replacing the boots.

They probably didn't put thread locker on them or over/under torqued them.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
I spoke briefly with Hans while dropping off a key this morning.
I have heard good things about Hans. He does work on Randall's car.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #9

Definitely sounds like a broken Axle CV joint.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I have heard good things about Hans. He does work on Randall's car.
Different Hans actually. Hans Hoffmann is co-founder and head of service at RUF Auto Centre in Dallas.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Different Hans actually. Hans Hoffmann is co-founder and head of service at RUF Auto Centre in Dallas.

LOL!!

I have heard excellent reports on them too. Someday, I plan to do an engine swap there. Can you say"365 HP"!!

Ask them if you can have the Enzo, they have for sale, as your loaner car.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #12

blue2000s wins a cookie. The left rear axle came loose, and when it did, broke the wheel carrier. The bolts are missing but the axle itself is okay. This is the same corner that had a CV boot replaced 10k miles ago and Hans is taking care of me. I expected it to be the right axle due to the torn underpanel but that must be due to road debris. We sure have enough of it around Dallas.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
blue2000s wins a cookie. The left rear axle came loose, and when it did, broke the wheel carrier. The bolts are missing but the axle itself is okay. This is the same corner that had a CV boot replaced 10k miles ago and Hans is taking care of me. I expected it to be the right axle due to the torn underpanel but that must be due to road debris. We sure have enough of it around Dallas.
woot!

especially after that chase today, lots of new road debris in garland.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
I'd let the shop that did the CV joints know what happened. At the least so they know not to do that to someone else.

Now where's my cookie?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'd let the shop that did the CV joints know what happened. At the least so they know not to do that to someone else.

Now where's my cookie?
Actually RUF did the CV boot last year and is fixing everything on their dime. Great people to deal with and always stand behind their work.

PM me a mailing address to collect your prize
Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #16

Bang and Coast to a Stop

Timothy, you say:

"The left rear axle came loose, and when it did, broke the wheel carrier. The bolts are missing but the axle itself is okay. This is the same corner that had a CV boot replaced 10k miles ago and Hans is taking care of me. I expected it to be the right axle due to the torn underpanel but that must be due to road debris."

Are you saying that all 6 bolts at the transmission flange on the inner CV Joint were missing, and that the axle fell out at that location, then causing the wheel carrier to be torn up?

Were there are strange noises leading up to all of this? Just a sudden drop of the axle?

Thanks, I'd be curious because it would seem that regular checking of the hex bolts might be in order.
kentv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #17

Funny, I was going to check mine tomorrow just to be sure that there in there good from my 3.4 swap. Does anyone know the torque specs on them?
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #18

@kentv Something like that. The shop gave a brief explanation but I never saw the carnage in person as it was dark at the time and I didn't have a flashlight to poke around. The car is a daily driver and nothing leading up to then gave any indication of an impending problem. Just midway through a turn it let loose. I did look for parts in the intersection (at the time I didn't know whether to look for bolts or pieces of engine) but never found anything.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #19

Bang Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Funny, I was going to check mine tomorrow just to be sure that there in there good from my 3.4 swap. Does anyone know the torque specs on them?

30 foot pounds on the standard Boxster with 8M bolts and 60 on the Boxster S with the 10M bolts.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #20

Bang Again

Timothy, the axle fell out at the wheel carrier, outer CV JOINT end, is that correct?

If so, my guess is that the CV JOINT totally froze and siezed, causing the force to pull the wheel carrier apart.