View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
timothy

BANG! and coast to a stop

Friday I was working late and drove to the store for a snack. On the way back I was half way through a left turn when there was a loud pop / bang sound from behind me. There must have been a physical shudder too as my first thought was of hitting something and a rear tire blew. The car behaved very badly like it was riding on a rim, but then I realized the engine revved without any power going to the wheels. It coasted about 50 feet and I pulled into a funeral home parking lot a quarter mile from the office.

The engine idles and revs fine. No idiot lights illuminated. With the car in gear I can let the clutch out and nothing happens: no bite, no change in rpm, and no stall. My boss passed and stopped to help push it out of the way (a funeral was letting out at the time) and while we pushed the car an intermittent popping sound came from the right rear. The little flap on the underside panel is now ripped and hanging down on that same side.

That's all I can say at this point. I had it towed to RUF as do all the service and know my car well. They should be able to tell me more in a few days.

Vital stats: 2003 2.7L with approximately 87500 miles