Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 06:57 AM   #1

can't play downloaded CDs on my stock Becker

I have a Becker 220, and am just learning to download music from the web. I've discoverd that downlaoded CDs that work with all the in-house players and my '04 VW "Monsoon" system, won't play on the Becker: I get an error message on the screen. Does nayone know if the problem is the CDs I'm using (Verbatim "Datalife Plus" CD-R), or something else ?

Also, I recently had rear speakers installed (got the factory kit from Suncoast in Fla) and the dash speakers changed to a product made by Focul. Everything else is stock. Wow. Sounds wayyyyyy better.

Thanks

jefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #2

Here are a few things to try:
Clean your CD Player: there are specail cd's with little brushes on them that you can stick in to clean the cd player.

Try burning the CD at a slower speed

I thing 1 of those should work for you.

I've used those Verbatims before, i don't the cd brand/type is the problem.

Do you have a link to the product made by Focul that you used for your dash speakers?

Thanks,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Does your cd player play MP3's?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #4

larez2 asked for a link for the Focal speakers I had installed (now correctly spelled). Yeah: www.focal-fr.com.

They are called "manual access coaxial speakers" and are one of the followinbg models: 100 CA (dia of 94mm); 130 CA (117mm); or 165 CA (140 mm). I've got the brochure for all three but don't know which ones I got. They fit right in the dash and use stock grills. I paid ~$400 for the Focals plus installation of those and the rear speakers. I think the Focals were ~$150.

Thanks for your comments; didn't know you can set burn rates. Lots to learn.
jefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the link.

In reply to IceBox:
The Becker 220 won't play mp3's directly burned to cd - a data cd, but it will play mp3's burned to cd as *.wav files - an audio cd.

I have the becker traffic pro navigation cd unit can't remember model #, same deal with that. I can play mp3's burned to cd as an audio cd, but not mp3' cd's with mp3s burned directly to cd (data cd).

HTH,
Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote