Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Ignition switch question

I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement electronic portion but wanted to ask, when you turn your ignition to start the car does it normally kick back from the "Start" position to an "On" position like other vehicles?

I hadn't really paid it any attention until today when I noticed mine does not.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #2

indeed kit does recoil. in fact, if you stall or don't start it, you have to go back to home to be able re-engage to start position. I think it's a little different on the 9x7s but on 986s it does recoil from start position to run.

Does your 'cljunk' when removing? If not, you may want to disco the battery each time until your new part is installed otherwise you run risk of "winning" a dead battery sometime soon...
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder803
I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement electronic portion but wanted to ask, when you turn your ignition to start the car does it normally kick back from the "Start" position to an "On" position like other vehicles?

I hadn't really paid it any attention until today when I noticed mine does not.
Sounds like your switch is starting to go. I just replaced mine and it amazes me how such a little device can completely immobilize the car.

As far as the return to "on" from starting, the 986 does do this. I remember the first week I had mine and stalled it at a stop light. It freaked me out because you have to turn the key all the way off, then turn it back on to re-engage the sequence. Took me a second to figure that out as people were honking their horns at me....

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

On the Boxster, you don't have to release the key to disengage the starter, the starter is released automatically once the engine catches. This eliminates the possibility of over-running the starter and damaging the bendix or ring gear - the whiney, grindy, sound you hear if you accidentally turn the starter switch when the car is running (on other makes).

Because of this, you need to reset the switch each time you want to engage the starter by returning the key to the '0' position, then the starter will re-engage when the key is turned to the start position.

This feature is becoming more common on other makes too, my wife's Jag does the same thing.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the info everybody.

lil Bastard, I for one am glad the Porsche disengages as my current problem would burn up the starter on an older model vehicle. My parts will be here Wednesday and I'll be back up and running.