Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #1

parts from a 996 that can be transplanted to a Boxster BESIDES the engine?

a friend is selling his 1999 996. He has sport technic wheels, aero kit... it's a nice car.

He is considering selling some parts off the car to make soem side cash - so he is giving me first crack at the litronics.

i was curious, are there any other parts on his car, that I could transplant to my car? i've fantasized about trying to get his front bumper cover and side skirts - we have the EXACT same color car - and he has the full aero kit, but I'mthinking it would make his car look too weird to have the boxster front and then the side skkirts removed off his car... or could you do that?

he's not gonna swap motors... i jokinly told him I'd take that..

are seats better? swappable? stuff like that??

he's not looking to ruin his car, but if ther is stuff that can be swapped...he may just trade the car in - and doesn't care too much what he gets for it...

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #2

986 has a LWB chassis vs. the 996- that answers the skirts issue.

Front bumper reinforcement for the 996 vs. 986 are different; one is longer than the other..I would'nt go around cutting front safety crash reinforcements for the sake of aesthetics--ghetto bling.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
a friend is selling his 1999 996. He has sport technic wheels, aero kit... it's a nice car.

He is considering selling some parts off the car to make soem side cash - so he is giving me first crack at the litronics.

i was curious, are there any other parts on his car, that I could transplant to my car? i've fantasized about trying to get his front bumper cover and side skirts - we have the EXACT same color car - and he has the full aero kit, but I'mthinking it would make his car look too weird to have the boxster front and then the side skkirts removed off his car... or could you do that?

he's not gonna swap motors... i jokinly told him I'd take that..

are seats better? swappable? stuff like that??

he's not looking to ruin his car, but if ther is stuff that can be swapped...he may just trade the car in - and doesn't care too much what he gets for it...
Everything in the interior is exactly the same. Aside from the backseat. The seats probably aren't any better unless they're power and heated and yours aren't.

The bumper is a direct bolt on to your Boxster. The side skirts would need to be cut at one end but, will work.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
Front bumper reinforcement for the 996 vs. 986 are different; one is longer than the other..I would'nt go around cutting front safety crash reinforcements for the sake of aesthetics--ghetto bling.

Huh??? I never heard of this being a problem. I've got a 996 MK1 GT3 bumper on my Box and it fit with no problems, direct bolt-on. The aero kit bumper in question here is the same as the MK1 GT3. I would definitely try to grab that. Otherwise, how about clear side markers? The interior is pretty much interchangeable, but I wouldn't want anything from the 996 unless he had CF bits or a three spoke steering wheel.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #5

The 1999 and 2000 996 shares 86% of it's parts from the doors forward with the Boxster ('97-'04).
The bumper skins although different are a perfect drop-in.
The seats, console, dash, radio, A/C, radiators, etc., etc are exactly the same.
The front brakes are larger, but also fit the Boxster.
Almost anything forward of the doors, including the doors, fenders, hood, head lights, steering wheel, will fit the Boxster.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #6

I think you could maybe convert your three gauge cluster into his five gauge cluster depending on the year of the car and yours. It's a great mod I'd like to do some day.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #7

thanks for all the info!!

I have heated and power seats - so I'll leave that as is. I also already have a 3 spoke wheel.

The only things that I think I'd want are the front bumper and the side skirts. Along with the lights. He is ready willing and able to let me have hte lights. Well, he's not going to "let me have them"...he's willing to sell them to me at a "fair" price.

I know litronics are seling for "around" $1000, so I'll probably work something out in that general price range. He might be willing to swap front bumpers. I"m afraid it he pulled offf his side skirts, it would make the car look bad if it damaged someething.

he's about to get a divorce and the car will have to go. swapping out the lights might affect his resale, but probably notg by a ton. swapping out front bumpers on a car with the aero kit - not sure if it would look okay afterward or if his car would look werid

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote